collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Elk hunting in Toutle (Cowlitz County)  (Read 4762 times)

Offline thedude055

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Pilgrim
Elk hunting in Toutle (Cowlitz County)
« on: January 13, 2016, 02:22:04 PM »
I moved to the area this last summer and was unable to start hunting this year because of the move and just being new I didn't know the area or the rules very well.  That being said I have been out and about and starting to look into areas that I can hunt next season.  I have been to the state land south East of town towards Mount St. Helens and the Toutle River.  I really like this area and have been able to find animals out there myself this fall but was never out there during the season.  Just curious if this area is overran during Modern rifle season or If there is plenty of room.  I want to make sure I get to know the area I am hunting and I have plenty of time to spend for next season to do that.  I just dont want to get all prepared to stand elbow to elbow with folks lol.  Also are there any other areas that one would suggest.

Offline fish-on37

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Hunter
Re: Elk hunting in Toutle (Cowlitz County)
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 02:45:25 PM »
If its the Toutle unit, that is a draw only unit. Cant hunt in there unless you pull a special permit.

Offline RadSav

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 02:54:11 PM »
There is some Winston unit south and east of town.  Modern rifle pressure isn't too bad if you have a Weyco pass.  But you will still bump into people if any decent number of elk are there.
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline Chukarhead

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 07:53:58 PM »
Take a hard look at some maps.  Toutle, Coweeman, and Winston units are all in that area.  Toutle is draw-only, the others are open in the general season.

When I moved to the area several years ago, I took my rifle out for the season.  That was the last modern firearm season here for me... lots of pumpkins, no elk.  That said, we have some of the highest success rates in the state--general and special permit.  It's a cool area to learn.  Good luck!

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
Elk hunting in Toutle (Cowlitz County)
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 09:08:47 PM »
The block of state land southeast of Toutle, where you say you've been.... that is in the Toutle Game Management Unit (GMU) so you cannot hunt elk there unless you apply for a special permit and are drawn. You will need to apply in May and results will be available sometime in June.

For the other GMUs in the area, which others have mentioned, you will need a Weyerhaeuser access permit. It was $160 last year but the cost this year is still unknown. Most likely it will be going up, but hopefully not by much. In 2014 it was $150 so they only increased it by $10. But who knows what will happen this year.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal