collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Colorado refuses to allow wolves be released in state  (Read 3433 times)

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Colorado refuses to allow wolves be released in state
« on: January 15, 2016, 09:53:55 PM »
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_29382051/colorado-turns-cold-shoulder-endangered-wolves

Colorado wildlife commissioners took a stand Wednesday night opposing the release of wolves in the state, overriding a blitz by pro-wolf groups pressing for ecological benefits of predators.

Colorado's new posture represents a pre-emptory challenge to court-ordered U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service efforts to save wolves, an endangered species.

Cattle and sheep industry leaders backed the resolution — commissioners voted 7-4 — banning release of both Mexican wolves and gray wolves.

Colorado still has a policy that it will take care of any wolf that wanders into the state on its own. The issue is intentionally releasing them.

The Colorado Parks and Wildlife commissioners said they wanted to support Gov. John Hickenlooper, who on Nov. 13 joined governors of Utah, Arizona and New Mexico in a letter telling Interior Secretary Sally Jewell they oppose Mexican wolf recovery efforts on land where Mexican wolves historically did not exist. That likely includes parts of southwestern Colorado that federal biologists are considering as habitat.

"This does not represent Coloradans. It does not serve Colorado," WildEarth Guardians biologist Taylor Jones said. "And it is un-necessarily antagonistic to wolf recovery."

Federal officials declined to comment. They're not required to seek state blessings as they develop a Mexican wolf recovery plan by the end of 2017 to prevent extinction.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hickenlooper's concern was "with their process in developing a recovery plan," spokeswoman Kathy Green said. That concern is separate, she said, from resolutions state parks and wildlife commissioners considered.

"We are pro wildlife," state spokesman Matt Robbins said before commissioners heard from both sides.

But pro-wolf demonstrators doubted that, carrying signs and howling in front of commissioners' facilities in Denver.

"We should kick out cattle. Wolves belong here," said Kia Bridges of the Boulder Rad-ish Collective. "If you bring back a predator, it puts an ecosystem back the way it is supposed to be. It would get prey animals moving."

Sierra Club regional wildlife team leader Delia Malone argued that "Colorado needs wolves and wolves need Colorado." The Sierra Club proposed an alternative resolution: that Colorado should invite introduction of Mexican wolves and re-introduction of gray wolves on habitat in the state.

Colorado Cattlemen vice president Terry Fankhauser supported the state stance. "Colorado is not appropriate wolf habitat," Fankhauser said.

"Our human population is too high. And the deer population here is not robust enough to support wolves, which would drive them to eat livestock and pets."

Bruce Finley: 303-954-1700, bfinley@denverpost.com or @finleybruce

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
Re: Colorado refuses to allow wolves be released in state
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 10:08:59 PM »
Sure glad one state is taking a stand against these idiots ... I imagine in the next couple years people are going to handle it in a whole different way ...Just ticks me over they want to let these Bite & Run SOB'S to roam our forests ...

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 11:03:39 AM »
I wonder what the state definition of *Take care of* is?

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 05:16:18 PM »
"Our human population is too high. And the deer population here is not robust enough to support wolves, which would drive them to eat livestock and pets."

Sounds like Colorado has been watching WA go down the tube.

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 06:26:50 PM »
Is the safari club the same group as SCI? I thought they were suppose to be for hunters
That is Sierra club that is mentioned in the article. Not safari club.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline Duckslayer89

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 06:30:39 PM »
Is the safari club the same group as SCI? I thought they were suppose to be for hunters
That is Sierra club that is mentioned in the article. Not safari club.

Ok I see thanks Grundy

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 06:33:11 PM »
:tup:

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal