collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Ouch's 2016 trapping season  (Read 38883 times)

Offline bear hunter

• BEAR HUNTER
  • WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Union SheetMetal Worker 66- welder fab/WCO TRAPPER
    • Danny A Alvarez
  • Groups: WCW, RMEF, DU, BassMasters, WSTA, and Union Sportsmen's Alliaance
Re: Ouch's 2016 trapping season
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2016, 10:59:59 PM »
Do you have any tanned civets jesse?
No I don't. My plan is to give Bruce all my civets since he is a pro at skinning them and I wanted to keep a few to have tanned. I'm still scared to skin one for fear of popping the scent gland. It's one thing to have one spray out in the woods but when that smell let's loose on your own property in your fur shed, its a whole other story. My wife might make sleep there for a few nights.  :chuckle:
I stink my last spotted skunk in the woods. Lol I will never bring one home again. Lol unless I skin them. I only skinned 2 but was lucky not to pop the glan sack. All my traps have them eatting bait, but the trigger pads are set heavy. Seen a video on how to get the sacks drained and the guy uses the emty sacks for fox and coyote lure in holes by his set. He said the skunk oil sells for 20 to 30 a ounce. Hmmmmmm
Boar looking for Sow to hunt with. LOL

Offline fatslinger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2016, 08:32:34 AM »
Moyle's Tannery is fine if you are going to hang your civet on the wall, but not if you plan on making a garment out of the skin. Moyle's has to 'mark' each skin during the tanning process and they do it by stamping a series of holes in the hide. On mine they marked each one in the center of the pelt. When they were put together to make my vest, it looked like swiss cheese! I don't know if the other tanneries do the same thing, but it's something to consider. Maybe you can request ahead of time that they 'mark' the pelts on the head where it won't matter.

Offline ouchfoss

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2016, 08:43:11 AM »
That's nice to know. Thank you.

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2016, 09:57:41 AM »
No I don't. My plan is to give Bruce all my civets since he is a pro at skinning them and I wanted to keep a few to have tanned. I'm still scared to skin one for fear of popping the scent gland. It's one thing to have one spray out in the woods but when that smell let's loose on your own property in your fur shed, its a whole other story. My wife might make sleep there for a few nights.  :chuckle:
I stink my last spotted skunk in the woods. Lol I will never bring one home again. Lol unless I skin them. I only skinned 2 but was lucky not to pop the glan sack. All my traps have them eatting bait, but the trigger pads are set heavy. Seen a video on how to get the sacks drained and the guy uses the emty sacks for fox and coyote lure in holes by his set. He said the skunk oil sells for 20 to 30 a ounce. Hmmmmmm
spotted skunk musk is worth much more then striped skunk. At least $75/ounce. I get $5 per spotted skunk for the glands.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline JakeLand

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2016, 01:09:27 PM »
spotted skunk musk is worth much more then striped skunk. At least $75/ounce. I get $5 per spotted skunk for the glands.

Why are spotted skunk musk worth more is it because there's smaller amount per animal or is it more potent OR ????

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2016, 02:00:37 PM »
Good job !!!

Offline ouchfoss

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2016, 05:29:24 PM »
I went 0 for 3 on the skunk sets today and nothing at the cat sets either. I would think the nearly 70 degree weather probably had something to do with that.   :dunno:

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2016, 06:20:58 PM »
No I don't. My plan is to give Bruce all my civets since he is a pro at skinning them and I wanted to keep a few to have tanned. I'm still scared to skin one for fear of popping the scent gland. It's one thing to have one spray out in the woods but when that smell let's loose on your own property in your fur shed, its a whole other story. My wife might make sleep there for a few nights.   

Why are spotted skunk musk worth more is it because there's smaller amount per animal or is it more potent OR ????

Spotted skunks are only taken in any significant numbers in W WA and W OR so there is a limited supply. The essence is different then striped skunk and in demand for use in lures especially cat lures. There is also the fact that it takes more civets to get an ounce of essence then striped skunks.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 06:59:30 PM by Humptulips »
Bruce Vandervort

Offline JakeLand

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2016, 06:24:05 PM »
thanks Bruce  :tup:

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2016, 06:41:14 PM »
Moyle's Tannery is fine if you are going to hang your civet on the wall, but not if you plan on making a garment out of the skin. Moyle's has to 'mark' each skin during the tanning process and they do it by stamping a series of holes in the hide. On mine they marked each one in the center of the pelt. When they were put together to make my vest, it looked like swiss cheese! I don't know if the other tanneries do the same thing, but it's something to consider. Maybe you can request ahead of time that they 'mark' the pelts on the head where it won't matter.

Interesting, all my Moyle's fur has their stamp on the very edge of the fur.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2016, 09:03:06 PM »
I've got a couple striped skunks but no civt furs. Who do you guys send them to to be tanned? Ouchfoss, I'd love to get one as well if you have enough.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
Moyle's is where I plan to have all my furs sent to this year. Heard nothing but good things about their quality. I'm sure I could probably save one for ya. :tup:

Thanks, I'll even take one whole if you don't want to skin it.  ;)

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2016, 09:37:06 PM »
I do sell them.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline ouchfoss

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2016, 12:07:52 PM »
Got two more civets today. Both were large males. I have most of my cat cages pulled right now because I'm planning to do a long line elsewhere this week when I get a few more cages built and have the time.
Still hard to believe how many civet cats are in the woods this year. Of the 16 different spots I have had Cages set at, only three didn't skunks at them.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 12:29:48 PM by ouchfoss »

Offline ouchfoss

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2016, 07:40:21 PM »
Pulled all but one of my traps today and got another large male skunk. This one sprayed right in front of me as I was gasing it. :yike: I think that I turned the gas on way to much and that's why he sprayed. That would be my guess. Have to try letting the gas just barely trickle in next time. Sorry no pics.

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2016, 10:35:25 PM »
He didn't seem to smell all to me. Maybe I am immune.
Is that why I'm a bachelor. :DOH:
Bruce Vandervort

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal