collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Scope for .300 Win Mag  (Read 14721 times)

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
Re: Scope for .300 Win Mag
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2016, 08:57:20 PM »
I've been rolling over this same question and I finally settled on the Leupold mark 4 with the TS-32X1 reticle.  Still on the fence between the 6-20, and the 4-14.  Its a hunting rifle so the 14x jumps out at me but they are the same weight so I could have a whole 20x and not get a weight penalty :chuckle:  Bullblaster is trying to pressure me into the 20x but I don't know if i'm cool enough for the 20x club :chuckle:
normally a 4 footer couldn't handle 20x but I think the club can make an exception for you.  :chuckle:

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2016, 08:59:07 PM »
I've been rolling over this same question and I finally settled on the Leupold mark 4 with the TS-32X1 reticle.  Still on the fence between the 6-20, and the 4-14.  Its a hunting rifle so the 14x jumps out at me but they are the same weight so I could have a whole 20x and not get a weight penalty :chuckle:  Bullblaster is trying to pressure me into the 20x but I don't know if i'm cool enough for the 20x club :chuckle:
normally a 4 footer couldn't handle 20x but I think the club can make an exception for you.  :chuckle:
You're just jealous that I can crawl on a stalk and you have to slither on your belly :IBCOOL:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2016, 09:18:26 PM »
You don't need a $1000 + scope on your gun. Buy a Vortex Diamondback. That's all you need. I really don't understand why guys say you need these expensive scopes for a gun you're going to shoot a few times a year.

I'm putting a Vortex PST on my custom 6.5 Creedmoor and that was only $700.
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2016, 09:25:59 PM »
You don't need a $1000 + scope on your gun. Buy a Vortex Diamondback. That's all you need. I really don't understand why guys say you need these expensive scopes for a gun you're going to shoot a few times a year.

My Vortex Viper had a full on failure on me this year. 
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875

Offline coop2424

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2016, 09:33:22 PM »

Glad your getting it fixed for me...  :chuckle:  You are just more hardcore with your hunting in -20 degree weather..  That isn't right..

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2016, 09:39:14 PM »
Lap your rings, a little blue lock tite, and tighten to specs and you will be fine.  What kind of ranges are you wanting to shoot?  Can't go wrong with Zeiss, NF, Leupold, Sightron, or any other top shelf glass in my opinion.  Comes down to what features and specs you want.

Blue locktite betw the rings and scope?  That may be a good thing for me now that my can of Scotch Coat is all dried up and I can no longer find it for sale.  I had to send the Burris 3-9 Signature on my big game rifle back this year.  It is a relatively heavy scope in a very light 300 Wby McMillan stocked Mod 70 that has never been adjusted for POI in 30 years and once I attempted to tweek it slightly this year was all over the place.  I don't know that it will move when re mounted, but if blue locktite betw the rings and scope tube offers a near guarantee - why not?

Normally I don't even consider scopes moving because I only shoot one scoped big game rifle, my 1886 45/70 carbine and my mod 71 both have Lyman peeps that never move.  On Varmint rifles there is no significant recoil.   
Haha!  I read back through that again and must have missed it, but no I don't put lock tite between the scope and rings.  Although it could actually work now that I think about it :chuckle:

I put the Scotch Coat on "just because" and at that juncture I had just bought the rifle.  When I get it back I will remount it, hopefully permanently, like I did the first time.  That rifle never has changed zero, but it was always a half inch left and this year I decided, for whatever reason, to center the crosshairs up. It is a good for a half-inch every year when I shoot a few before big game season.  When I get it back, I will zero it an inch and a half high right above my aiming point and I suspect it would never need adjustment so long as Nosler keeps making 200 gr Partitions.   

Offline rem700300

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2016, 06:03:55 AM »
I have a NXS 5.5-22x56 on my 300 Winchester magnum.Do I love the scope? Yes. But what I have found out is that it is way more scope than I really need.Its a lot of gun and scope to take to the top of the mountain every day.The last 2 years in Montana I've ended up taking my deer at 200 yards or less. I've also learned by just shooting my rifles more that most of my hunting situations just don't need that magnification.I hope to someday be able to use its full potential.Dont skimp on rings and bases.I used all Nightforce bases and rings.I ended up buying a Tikka in 270wsm before the Washington deer season this last year and put a 3-9x40 Leupold that I had laying around and shot my buck at 380 yards and didn't feel under scoped.Just my 2 cents.Im not saying don't buy one I've just learned that so far I have not needed it. Maybe someday.

Offline yorketransport

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Frontiersman
  • Preferred pronouns: were/was
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2016, 06:18:40 AM »
If you're not familiar, do a little research on the Sightron SIII.  A few years ago, after owning my first couple Sightrons I sold my 6 or 7 Nightforces and replaced them with SIIIs.  IMO you get 97% of the performance for ~50% of the cost.  Excellent glass, excellent tracking, and a GREAT value.  I'm a big fan of the LRMOA reticle.   :twocents:
:yeah: The SIII is an excellent scope worth significantly more than they sell for. I have 3 of them and the glass is every bit as good as the NF NXS, VX-3 and Mk 4 scopes I have. The only issue I have with them is that the clicks on the scope don't have as much resistance as some of the NF and Leupold scopes I have. If you carry your rifle in a pack the turrets may rotate while it's in the pack.

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2016, 07:17:02 AM »

What happened to your scope ?
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2016, 08:16:55 AM »

the reticle came loose or something and would spend when I adjusted my power ring. I no longer had crosshairs I had an X  :chuckle: for me personally, hunting is a pass fail test there's no second chances so the vortex is getting the boot and I'm climbing up the ladder hopefully.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2016, 08:30:08 AM »
I should say though, I've put hundreds of rounds through my 300 with that scope, anger it up and down mountains in washington, idaho, colorado, and montana and have had no previous issues.  It has tracked true over and over.  It was probably the -20° I was out in during my Montana hunt that caused the failure.  That being said, my Nikon Buckmaster on my backup rifle was in the same elements, had no issues.  It also cost half the price.  Loved all the features of that Vortex :bash:

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2016, 09:40:12 AM »

the reticle came loose or something and would spend when I adjusted my power ring. I no longer had crosshairs I had an X  :chuckle: for me personally, hunting is a pass fail test there's no second chances so the vortex is getting the boot and I'm climbing up the ladder hopefully.
I had a diamondback on my .300wm and I'm pretty sure the recoil broke that scope. The reticle ended up caddywompus and it leaked and filled with water. Not sure what caused it but it was fine on a .22-250 for a while. Soon after I put it on the .300 it broke. Good scope for the $$$ but I'm not sure it's great for the heavy hitters.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline frazierw

• Scout
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2016, 11:19:22 AM »
I appreciate all the input, i will look into those sightron scopes as well before i choose.  I am oscillating between the 5-20 and the 4-14, but am still leaning towards more magnification. 

Offline elkaholic123

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Montana Dirty Dozen,Life member RMEF,NAHC, WSF
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2016, 12:41:03 PM »
I appreciate all the input, i will look into those sightron scopes as well before i choose.  I am oscillating between the 5-20 and the 4-14, but am still leaning towards more magnification. 
Were do you live? I shoot at Seattle rifle and pistol in Machias, you can check out my Nightforce SHV 5-20X56 if you wanted  :twocents:
elkaholic

Offline frazierw

• Scout
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2016, 12:59:31 PM »
Were do you live? I shoot at Seattle rifle and pistol in Machias, you can check out my Nightforce SHV 5-20X56 if you wanted  :twocents:

I live in Yakima, but I appreciate the offer.  I have looked through the Zeiss Conquest HD, and if it is as clear or more clear than that i would be very satisfied.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]