collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Know anything about this WA bighorn?  (Read 21369 times)

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
Re: Know anything about this WA bighorn?
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2016, 10:22:29 PM »
Same guy That bought the tag this year for $150.000.00 he has 5 of the top ten archery sheep in WA.
How does he have 5 sheep in WA? Does he just "buy" the raffles, or has he had the auction tag that many times? That's impressive!

You will notice several people buy the raffles each year, I really wish they would cap them at 5 per Wild ID.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2016, 10:32:03 PM »
Same guy That bought the tag this year for $150.000.00 he has 5 of the top ten archery sheep in WA.
How does he have 5 sheep in WA? Does he just "buy" the raffles, or has he had the auction tag that many times? That's impressive!

You will notice several people buy the raffles each year, I really wish they would cap them at 5 per Wild ID.

I think the raffle and auction rags should be one and done, plenty off rich people out there to compete for them without the same people getting them ever year. Plus giving the average joe a chance to win the raffle tags.  :twocents:
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline RadSav

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2016, 10:32:31 PM »
I wish my grandfather had founded UPS instead of being a gardener for the Olympia brewery :chuckle: 

Not many years left for me to keep up the hope of being lucky.  Not even sure how hard I could get after it if my luck changed this year.  But if I were to die sheep or goat hunting as hard as I can...it would be a pretty good day :tup: 
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2016, 11:30:04 PM »

I think the raffle and auction rags should be one and done, plenty off rich people out there to compete for them without the same people getting them ever year. Plus giving the average joe a chance to win the raffle tags.  :twocents:

You'd run out of buyers in Washington in a few years. There's a reason the same people buy them every year. That or you'd have guys like you and I running the auction all the way up to like a hundred bucks because everyone else has already had their auction permit. There's no money in that now.
I am a huge fan of limiting raffle purchases. That'd be great. Cap at 5 tickets per person, or even just one.
 :tup:
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2016, 12:33:05 AM »
Cap at 5 tickets per person, or even just one.

We already have it limited at one for the OIL lottery.  Doesn't make much sense to have two lotteries, does it?  If we add one more tag to the lottery revenue stays the same.  Raffle adds another $300-400K to the revenue stream.  Limit to five and it drops by more than half barely covering the expenditures.

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2016, 12:45:04 AM »

We already have it limited at one for the OIL lottery.  Doesn't make much sense to have two lotteries, does it?  If we add one more tag to the lottery revenue stays the same.  Raffle adds another $300-400K to the revenue stream.  Limit to five and it drops by more than half barely covering the expenditures.

There are many, myself included, that realize the raffle is generally won by those with deep pockets, buying hundreds of tickets. For that reason there are a lot of us that don't participate at all. Of course there are always the example or two that luck out, but clearly the odds are in favor of those that purchase hundreds of tickets.

I believe that if it were limited to 5 tickets per ID, more people would participate, and make up the difference lost from one or two people purchasing hundreds. :dunno:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline Romulus1297

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2016, 12:55:06 AM »
Why don't you all stop crying  like a bunch of babies, 😭 I've met Casey Brooks & he's the most down to earth guy! So why don't you guys dry your eyes! By the way, have you seen his Chelan Butte Ram? It's a BEAUTY! Chow, Romulus's Wife 😚

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2016, 01:01:48 AM »
Why don't you all stop crying  like a bunch of babies, 😭 I've met Casey Brooks & he's the most down to earth guy! So why don't you guys dry your eyes! By the way, have you seen his Chelan Butte Ram? It's a BEAUTY! Chow, Romulus's Wife 😚

Who's crying? I don't see anybody bad mouthing Casey or blaming him for playing the game set up by WDFW, I'm pretty sure that everyone here would do the same if they had the means. :dunno:

That doesn't mean some of us wouldn't like to see the game changed is all.

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2016, 03:34:51 AM »
I believe that if it were limited to 5 tickets per ID, more people would participate, and make up the difference lost from one or two people purchasing hundreds. :dunno:

I suppose that could be.  Though you also run a high risk of making the raffle odds as bad if not worse than the general permit odds.  Once those odds get turned upside down how many will decide to buy?  Is that an acceptable risk for the state?  Seems all we would be doing is decreasing our personal odds just so the rich guys don't get an advantage.  Sort of a Cutting off the nose to spite the face scenario, isn't it?

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2016, 07:28:34 AM »
I have a little different take on the whole process, I think the limited-entry, raffles, and auctions, are being done pretty well.

The purpose of the limited-entry OIL is to give everyone 1 chance at drawing a tag and it's OIL so every gets more of a chance at getting their one successful hunt. The auctions tags are there to make money for conservation, those tags need to go to the highest bidder so we the people get the most out of that auctioned off tag. The raffle tags are there to make money for conservation too, the way it works everyone who wants a chance gets a chance, if you limit the number of chances a person can buy then you are defeating the purpose.

Millions come in for conservation from these auctions and raffles, we are getting the most conservation dollars for the few animals taken. In the end there is more wildlife in the field for everyone to hunt by getting the most we can for these auction and raffle tags. I would like to see them all selling for twice as much as they do now. Combined with donations from sporting groups like WSF, RMEF, and MDF more transplants and habitat improvements could occur resulting in more animals available to the average hunter.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Antlershed

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2016, 07:47:21 AM »
Certainly no crying here, I was just asking the question because I was curious. I have no problem with the Auction tags. That's a lot of revenue generated for a good cause.

However, I, like many others, don't participate in the raffles usually because of the fact they can be bought. Not hating the guys who do it, I just choose to spend my money elsewhere.  :twocents:

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2016, 08:09:25 AM »
WDFW Drawing = everybody has equally horrible odds

Raffle = more expensive buy in, with increased odds vs drawing depending on how much you want to spend

Auction = most expensive buy in, with 100% odds of winning if you spend enough

KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2016, 08:30:22 AM »

Did you factor in all the people that would get back into buying raffle tickets when you calculated that? I betcha I know at least 5 people who would, and probably could come up with a dozen on my own with a little looking.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2016, 08:42:47 AM »
WDFW Drawing = everybody has equally horrible odds

Raffle = more expensive buy in, with increased odds vs drawing depending on how much you want to spend

Auction = most expensive buy in, with 100% odds of winning if you spend enough

:yeah:

I had a guy from CA hunt with me this last fall who bought one raffle tag in ID for mule deer and got it. The previous year I had a different guy from CA who bought $200 of raffle tags in ID that drew. My point is that everyone who buys even 1 tag has a chance but if ID limited the number of chances the other guy wouldn't have given ID $200!

Did you factor in all the people that would get back into buying raffle tickets when you calculated that? I betcha I know at least 5 people who would, and probably could come up with a dozen on my own with a little looking.

If it was possible, WDFW should take two identical raffle tags and see which way produces the most funds! BUT, I don't think WDFW has a choice, aren't these raffle rules dictated by legislative language?
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2016, 08:50:12 AM »
The mule deer raffle tag guy in Washington this year purchased 1 ticket and won  it. Stranger things have happened.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal