collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Utah General Deer  (Read 1823 times)

Offline ffbowhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Utah General Deer
« on: February 07, 2016, 09:32:33 PM »
I utilized the search function and it failed me! I put in for Utah elk limited tag recently. It got me thinking...since I already payed for the license might as well hunt! I have found multiple general units on gohunt that have 100% draws however I don't know what to narrow it down to. I will only have one opportunity to scout in June. Otherwise we will hunt opening day Aug 20th. I am not looking for a trophy. The opportunity for one wouldn't be bad either. Thanks in advance for the advice!

Offline TomT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
Re: Utah General Deer
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 10:49:04 AM »
I don't have a suggestion for a general hunt for you, but... 

I would highly recommend that you put in for some other limited entry hunts.  As you probably know, 50% of the LE tags are awarded strictly on a lottery basis.  Some of the odds are good enough to at least spend the $10 to give it a try.   As long as you spent the money on the license, make sure you apply for Bison and Moose too.  Someone has to draw. 

One last bit of advice in case you haven't already figured it out.   If you time your applications right, you only have to buy a license every other year because the license is good for 365 days from the day you buy it.   You don't even have to purchase a new license if you draw your tag and the license is technically expired, as long as the license is good on the day you apply.

Offline ffbowhunter

• Scout
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 12:56:04 PM »
Thanks good to know about the license every other year!

Offline swashington2128

• Hunter
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 11:46:56 AM »
I hunted the Manti last year and had a great time. I had four shots that I missed on Mule Deer 4x4s. I got there the second week of the season and hardly saw another hunter. The elk had pretty much disappeared from the pressure of the first week. I chased some cows one day but couldn't get in front of them.

I have already put in for tags and plan on getting there around the 16th. Get there early, the hunt starts at 9000ft and it takes time to get used to the elevation. I put out a post looking for some company but no responses. I am in Silverdale so if you want to get together and talk about Utah let me know. It is worth the time and effort of getting there. Even though I ate the tags last year it was the best 8 days of the year. Can't wait to get back.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]