collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: What type of hunts are HUNTWA members looking for?  (Read 9606 times)

Offline Shooting Stix

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
What type of hunts are HUNTWA members looking for?
« on: February 08, 2016, 01:53:20 PM »
As you know I am a hunting consultant for many hunts around the world and local also. I want to get a perspective on the hunters on this site I see a lot of guys want a DIY hunt which I understand not a lot of people have a lot of money. I see a lot of mountain goat or Rams so I am working on Alaska to grab some outfitters there or Canada. Just give me some feedback on what you are looking for. Please if you are not looking for a hunt and want to waste my time I don't want to hear humans or ISIS if you want that join the marines or infantry like real people do.

Offline Bango skank

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
Re: What type of hunts are HUNTWA members looking for?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 01:59:20 PM »
I see a lot of guys want a DIY hunt which I understand not a lot of people have a lot of money.

The way you say that sounds like you think the only reason people dont do guided hunts is that they cant afford them.

Offline syoungs

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 02:44:03 PM »
yeah, its not all about the money. your last line kinda comes across weird as well.

Offline Shooting Stix

• Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 03:39:42 PM »
For the people who are not wealthy that's what I meant and the last line trust me I have gotten those answers before believe it or not.

Offline Smoke

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: Skouckum Archery
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 04:27:16 PM »
Retired so defiantly not wealthy...  actually going on my first guided hunt ever this summer in South Africa... other hunts I'd like to do before I die.... Archery Moose, Archery Bear (all this time and never seen one), think a goat or ram would be cool to do but really not in shape for it... and of course, keep hunting them Elk and Deer...

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 04:32:38 PM »
I think the OP would be better served to do a poll.  The different styles between different people is all across the board.  Some folks are more interested in quality, some higher success rates.  Some folks want high quality and guaranteed success (hence high fence options).  Some guys like hunting animals they are familiar with while others may be into something new or even exotic.  Then you have accommodations etc.

Speaking for myself, I've never been with a guide outside of fishing.  This is on purpose but different strokes for different folks......hence the suggestion for a poll to help you.

One other note is some may not want to publicly state their preference as the internet ethics police may be out.
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline chuck270

• Skin that one and I'll bring ya another
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 04:36:20 PM »
In a word.. Value.

I have been on two guided hunts both in BC Canada the first was a moose hunt, outfitter was decent but just felt like more than a few things were misrepresented and was left feeling a bit taken advantage of financially.  I blame myself as much as anyone, sometimes we hear what we want to hear. 
Second, was a spring black bear hunt that a hunting partner of mine talked me into and I reluctantly agreed to go..  Had the best time ever!  The outfitter was serious but laid back at the same time, with in 5 minutes of meeting out guide it was like we had know each other for years.  Good food yet simple, cabins and lodge were modest yet very comfortable and the location was... Beautiful.  Two guides for the three hunters in camp and everyone got a bear they were happy with.  Worth every penny and I am going back this year with my son.

Future hunts I would like to do.

Mule Deer, either Utah or Wyoming.
Elk, either Colorado or Montana
Moose in Alaska 

Not looking for record book animals just nice representations of the species and most importantly I want to have fun doing it.   

Offline JoeE

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 09:43:36 PM »
For the people who are not wealthy that's what I meant and the last line trust me I have gotten those answers before believe it or not.

What do you consider wealthy? I can afford a guided hunt but I have almost no interest in it because I prefer DIY. Last year I went to AK and killed a nice bull moose on a remote DIY float hunt. I spent around $3,500 door to door for the whole. I met some folks at the hotel that were paying $17k for a guided moose hunt hunting the same region I was in. Why?

Now is some cases I know a guide is required and there is no way around it, like an Alaskan or Canadian Dall sheep hunt. I plan on doing that in the next couple years and will use a guide because that's the only legal way I can do it. But even for that I don't need a consultant, I have the Internet and contacts and know how to do research to find a spot I will want to go and a guide to go with.

Most of Hunt-Wa are folks who are into western style hunting. A majority of that is DIY free range hunting. Most of what I've seen you sell is high fence stuff. Maybe that's where the lack of interest on Hunt-Wa is?

And your last line is weird, about "real people" joining the Marine Infantry. Coming from you in the Air Force I don't get your point. Anyway, you asked for our opinions and thats mine. Semper Fi!!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 10:23:50 PM »
 I think Joe is right. The problem I suspect you're having with this forum of people is I suspect there is very little interest in exotics and other high fenced operations. I think there are hunting guides and outfitters who advertise here who probably have more return from hunt-wa who are offering the western style free range hunts, turkey hunts, etc. I also think it's how you come across. No offense but that last part of your opening post is sort of weird.  I don't get it. We're not real people if we're not marines or infantry soldiers? That's just an odd comment.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline RadSav

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 10:29:38 PM »
Stone Sheep hunt for around $3,500 would be nice. :chuckle:

Goat hunt where old broken fat guys can have success. :o
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline NW-GSP

• Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2016, 10:33:44 PM »
I would be happy with dove hunting in eastern WA. I have the dogs for bird hunting and upland hunt but I have never hunted dove.

Offline Shooting Stix

• Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 01:49:24 AM »
Retired so defiantly not wealthy...  actually going on my first guided hunt ever this summer in South Africa... other hunts I'd like to do before I die.... Archery Moose, Archery Bear (all this time and never seen one), think a goat or ram would be cool to do but really not in shape for it... and of course, keep hunting them Elk and Deer...

I have monster bears in Canada in the month of June so it wont interfere with elk and deer season. The bears are averaging 20 inch skulls and some are over 7 feet from nose to tail and the hunting area is remote which you can only access by boat no road systems and bowhunting is perfect over a bait. Outfitter only wants big bears shot you will see 10 bears on your bait pile up to 6 ft but minimum he wants at the smallest 6 and a half foot bear because they shoot high 6 ft to 7 ft bears. The biggest skull was 22.25 inches at 7 ft 4 inches

Offline Shooting Stix

• Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 02:05:52 AM »
I think Joe is right. The problem I suspect you're having with this forum of people is I suspect there is very little interest in exotics and other high fenced operations. I think there are hunting guides and outfitters who advertise here who probably have more return from hunt-wa who are offering the western style free range hunts, turkey hunts, etc. I also think it's how you come across. No offense but that last part of your opening post is sort of weird.  I don't get it. We're not real people if we're not marines or infantry soldiers? That's just an odd comment.

I had a post on Facebook for hunts and some guys were posting they wanted to hunt ISIS and Taliban so obviously if you wanted to do that Im not saying hunters on huntwa do but if that is your wish then go to a recruiter and sign up. Folks I get a lot of people who waist my time and energy and that's probably why I come off this way I advertise on many websites so I get it all. You would be surprised on the comments I get but even on here more people are focused on "what do you mean by wealthy" you know what I mean is there Donald Trumps on this website or millionaires that don't have a budget. I am active duty and probably make less than most of you guys on this website and managed to shoot 22 animals last year. I am here for everybody and will go out of my way to find you a hunt you can afford. Yes I am Airforce but I have deployed 4 times and had many friends die in my 11 years of active duty

Offline Shooting Stix

• Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2016, 02:10:26 AM »
Stone Sheep hunt for around $3,500 would be nice. :chuckle:

Goat hunt where old broken fat guys can have success. :o

That would be nice too I am working on Alaska have a couple guys I talk to for Sitka Blacktail deer and Brown Bear on Kodiak island I guess Alaska is so popular that they are a monopoly so the outfitters don't reach out for help.

Offline Shooting Stix

• Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2016, 02:22:31 AM »
In a word.. Value.

I have been on two guided hunts both in BC Canada the first was a moose hunt, outfitter was decent but just felt like more than a few things were misrepresented and was left feeling a bit taken advantage of financially.  I blame myself as much as anyone, sometimes we hear what we want to hear. 
Second, was a spring black bear hunt that a hunting partner of mine talked me into and I reluctantly agreed to go..  Had the best time ever!  The outfitter was serious but laid back at the same time, with in 5 minutes of meeting out guide it was like we had know each other for years.  Good food yet simple, cabins and lodge were modest yet very comfortable and the location was... Beautiful.  Two guides for the three hunters in camp and everyone got a bear they were happy with.  Worth every penny and I am going back this year with my son.

Future hunts I would like to do.

Mule Deer, either Utah or Wyoming.
Elk, either Colorado or Montana
Moose in Alaska 

Not looking for record book animals just nice representations of the species and most importantly I want to have fun doing it.

I just messaged a guy that is selling elk hunts in Colorado so when he sends me more information I will let you know I think he does mule deer also

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]