collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Cat question  (Read 7829 times)

Offline Blsum

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
Re: Cat question
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2016, 08:37:29 PM »
Thanks for all the advice guys. I have a rib cage and some other tidbits hanging from a tree now with a camera on it. Been out for a week now and the only thing I've gotten so far is a hawk that will land on it and take a few bites at a time, a stellar Jay and some camp robbers. I found an active beaver pond today I would like to move some traps to. Just need to figure out if I can trap there. Not sure if its private property or not. And if so how to contact the owner to ask permission.
It's not the size of the trophy that make's it a trophy.

You may just be one person in this world. But you may be the world to just one person.

Offline Blsum

• Longhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2016, 08:39:17 PM »
Put those beaver on a tree with no limbs so the birds can't get at it.
Here is an example pic.  Nothing but the tail left.

Will they not eat the tail?

You may just be one person in this world. But you may be the world to just one person.

Offline bear hunter

• BEAR HUNTER
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Union SheetMetal Worker 66- welder fab/WCO TRAPPER
    • Danny A Alvarez
  • Groups: WCW, RMEF, DU, BassMasters, WSTA, and Union Sportsmen's Alliaance
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2016, 08:40:49 PM »
Had one trap on a ridge above a beaver pond. On an old road grade.  Close to a small drainage that leads to the pond. Still a ways from the ponds but the closest I could get. Really thick in there. Ended up catching the civet there. Pulled out of there cause I didn't want to mess with the civets. Might reset there as well.  But will not use the montana long call lure I used last time. Might have to use the beaver castor there instead.
funny you said you caught a skunk. I was 20 yards off a main dirt road and caught a spotted skunk one the first night. Lelf it there for 3 days and nothing. Moved the trap down the road 1/2 mile. Found a creek and placed two traps one 50 yards up hill 30 ft from the creek and 1 trap 10 ft off road in a small drainage 8 ft from the creek. Had a nice tom in the trap 4 day later. I seem to get more action if my traps are closer to the road but this is my first year. Good luck.... The guys on the form know there stuff. Plus I think the skunk helped me to get a cat. After I shot the little guy he left his mark in the trap. Lol
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 08:59:15 PM by bear hunter »
Boar looking for Sow to hunt with. LOL

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2016, 08:42:37 PM »

Think Naches Sportsman is looking for you

http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,190929.msg2525767.html#msg2525767
KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

Offline Cultusman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
  • Groups: NRA,WSTA
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2016, 08:56:54 PM »

Will they not eat the tail?

Yes they will but not often, I don't think it is worth the effort.

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2016, 11:49:01 PM »
If I were you I would spread those traps out. Prebaiting is great if you have the bait. If you don't have the bait to spare set on what you think is good habitat is the best answer I can give.
I recently pulled all my traps but I had between 25 and 30 spread out over about 40 miles for almost three weeks. I took 5 cats and turned three loose so I have to say a pretty poor showing but made up for it with civets. I think 36. I did not have a sufficient amount of bait to prebait and I am not going to trap beaver for what they are worth. Gradually cleaning out the freezer.
Hope that gives you an idea of how far apart my sets are.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline wags

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2016, 07:36:36 AM »
Had one trap on a ridge above a beaver pond. On an old road grade.  Close to a small drainage that leads to the pond. Still a ways from the ponds but the closest I could get. Really thick in there. Ended up catching the civet there. Pulled out of there cause I didn't want to mess with the civets. Might reset there as well.  But will not use the montana long call lure I used last time. Might have to use the beaver castor there instead.
In my limited experience, cats and civets tend to go hand-in hand.

Offline JakeLand

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2016, 09:12:45 AM »
In my limited experience, cats and civets tend to go hand-in hand.

Limited experience HaHaHa

Offline Blsum

• Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2016, 11:07:50 PM »
So I had the cat hit the prebait site. Last confirmed showing was the 12th. How long till you think this cat comes back to look for more? There was still some bait there when I set it on the 15th. Also had a coyote on film as well. Boy was he spooky.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal