collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New westside Spring Bear units  (Read 2702 times)

Offline XJcoug13

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
New westside Spring Bear units
« on: February 12, 2016, 11:51:40 AM »
Anyone have any information on the two new spring bear units in Pacific County?  Long Beach and Bear River? I hunted Copalis last spring and ate my tag.  I live in Grays Harbor so hunting close to home is nice even though I have family with property in the NE corner, which it seems bear harvest numbers are high.  Any info would help, thanks.  And with no points this year its a long shot being drawn..but it can happen.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
New westside Spring Bear units
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 12:09:29 PM »
I know Long Beach has a ton of bears but I think you'd have a hard time finding a place to hunt. Bear River I don't really know what the bear numbers are like but with it being mostly private timberland I think a lot of bears are probably taken out of there by hound hunters with depredation permits. So I'd definitely want to do more research on that before using up my points on it.

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/stiknstring.bow
Re: New westside Spring Bear units
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 02:16:03 PM »
I know Long Beach has a ton of bears but I think you'd have a hard time finding a place to hunt. Bear River I don't really know what the bear numbers are like but with it being mostly private timberland I think a lot of bears are probably taken out of there by hound hunters with depredation permits. So I'd definitely want to do more research on that before using up my points on it.
Long Beach is mostly private access, hard to find a place to hunt if you don't know anybody.
Bear River might be worth a look, but plan on hiking in a ways behind gates.
The mountains are calling and I must go."
- John Muir
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order."
- John Burroughs
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor Trainer

Offline XJcoug13

• Tracker
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 04:37:38 PM »
Seems like the reason for the Pac county spring hunt is low harvest numbers in the fall, increased bear vs. human encounters and small land area to number of bears in the area.. Be nice if when you get drawn they would give you the numbers to property owners that are having bear problems.  I'd gladly help them  :chuckle:
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 07:41:36 PM by XJcoug13 »

Offline lucky7

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 07:18:54 PM »
What would be that Johns River unit? 12 or 14 ft boat upriver cruise. Back in the day we use to duck hunt back in those secluded channels and see sign of all kinds of game including bear. Just a thought... Mallards and Green Wings use to converge on those little pockets... Oops gave it away...

Offline XJcoug13

• Tracker
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 07:45:31 PM »
Johns River is GMU 658, North River..I usually hear the duck hunters on the weekends on the elk river...and there's no bears in 658... :tup:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal