collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bye Bye MT  (Read 13196 times)

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
Re: Bye Bye MT
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2016, 10:39:00 PM »
I thought the big game combo was like 970 last year so that's only a 31$ increase  :dunno:

They only made slight increases this year on the NR fees, except for the specific NR native licenses he is referring to.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2016, 10:40:53 PM »
Idaho will likely go up in price next year. I just had a meeting with IDFG a couple days ago and they are looking for an increase next year, but sounds like most likely only resident fees.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2016, 10:41:44 PM »
I thought the big game combo was like 970 last year so that's only a 31$ increase  :dunno:

They only made slight increases this year on the NR fees, except for the specific NR native licenses he is referring to.

Oh gotchya ... I saw that after posting  :tup:
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not those of HW Management, Admins, Mods or Myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis who has revealed them to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald...

MB

Growing old is mandatory ... Growing up is optional!

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2016, 10:48:34 PM »

It is the Native Born Non-res that has the big increase.  If you are trophy hunting - so what? If you have relatives ideally situated, or have access - GTHOH, being able to spend a week in country that you have a good chance take a trophy elk for $500. My God, the State of Mont has an investment and you should feel honored that the State of Montana recognizes that you have a "connection"  even though none of your tax dollars are currently supporting that opportunity.     

Even if you are just spending time "on the ranch" and taking some meat home it still "pencils out."  I refer to the Hoots, by that I mean the Hutterite colonies, and even if your relatives are living in sage brush country and that deer is not fit fare for man or beast, if you show me a hoot colony that cannot turn that deer into the best sausage you have ever eaten, I will kiss your posterior and they do it for peanuts. 

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2016, 11:13:01 PM »

The NBNR tag that has not been ratcheted up is seeing a big increase. BUT IMHO, it is about where it should be.  We Native Born Non-residents should pay for the opportunity that Montana provides while still recognizing that keeping us "in touch" with our relatives is worth the serious discount we will still enjoy is in the State's best interest.  Native non-residents "returning home" with their retirement income is part of what it will take to offset the effect of out-migration combined with interlopers moving in and forever changing Montana into something nobody alive today recognizes.  I would submit for consideration of those who have never lived in Mont, but enjoy Montana that this discount that was put in place to keep Native Born Montanan's connected is not something to envy.  It is also in your best interest.  Nobody is less in favor of a paradigm shift in the political makeup of Montana that Native Born Montanan's are except long time residents and native born non-residents.     

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Slow down and enjoy the moment.
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2016, 11:26:48 PM »
Guess Montana can shove it up they're behind. No point in hunting out of state IMO right now.
One touch of nature makes the whole world kin.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2016, 11:37:14 PM »
I don't know, but I personally felt "bye bye Montana" more from the laws that outlawed drinking on the streets.  When I was a kid everybody drank on the street of Kalispell or Redlodge. In the days of my youth people bought a beer in the saloons of both sleepy mining and logging towns and then hung out in the streets drinking and carrying on. 

The law isn't enforced in Augusta and in the summer people just ignore it.  It would not be the Augusta Rodeo or the Bucking Horse Sale in Miles City if it were "politically correct" and cowboys with bowed legs and fingers twisted from being broken no longer felt welcome to get arrested for fighting instead of just enjoying a cool beer. 

The fam used to expect that someone would need to be bailed out for being drunk off our Irish butt and fighting, we are Irish ranching stock, but not for just walking down the street with a beer.  I'm, funny that way in that I want to preserve that I guess.  And IMHO, the best way to preserve that is to keep Montanan's who were born where school was shut down for the opening of hunting season and are predisposed to come back is to keep them coning back.         
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 11:43:52 PM by JDHasty »

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2016, 06:25:34 AM »
Idaho will likely go up in price next year. I just had a meeting with IDFG a couple days ago and they are looking for an increase next year, but sounds like most likely only resident fees.
  I wish these game agencies would look at Colorado ' s model and follow it in regards to non resident hunters.  We are customers who dump millions into agencies and state economies.  So treat us as such.  Idaho hasn't come close to selling out their tags since the last big price hike.  Hmmmmmm..........

I'll continue to play the game until the point that I either have to sell one of my kids or get a second job to fund my tags, but it is frustrating  :bash:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline hunterofelk

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2016, 07:50:50 AM »
Glad I finally got around to submitting the documents for the non-res. native last year.  Probably will pay the cost next year if I don't draw a special in Washington.  I wish I could just get an elk tag.  My wife likes elk meat, but not deer meat.  I would only use the elk tag, so buying a combo license is just a donation.  I had a great trip last year and brought home a full-grown cow elk.  Was really excited about this year, but not so anymore.

Offline jeffitz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2016, 08:12:58 AM »
I hunted Colorado deer in 1999 and it was $250 for the tag,thems were the days.I think they jacked the price the next season, havnt been back since
If you're gonna be dumb,you gotta be tough.

Offline deerslyr

• Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2016, 09:44:23 AM »
I never understood the come home to hunt tag. Does any other state do this? I don't get discounted tags when I go home to hunt in WA. Wouldn't expect to either, I'm not a resident and don't pay taxes there. Part of the reason why I live in MT. Montana's economy is just fine, White Sulphur is doing great with these shoulder seasons going on so I'm sure they wont miss your money. If you want cheap elk tags and to dump a bunch of money into small towns go to CO. You can chose between 4 different week long or less seasons and shoot rag horns with thousands of other non residents  :twocents:

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2016, 04:23:58 PM »
I never understood the come home to hunt tag. Does any other state do this? I don't get discounted tags when I go home to hunt in WA. Wouldn't expect to either, I'm not a resident and don't pay taxes there. Part of the reason why I live in MT. Montana's economy is just fine, White Sulphur is doing great with these shoulder seasons going on so I'm sure they wont miss your money. If you want cheap elk tags and to dump a bunch of money into small towns go to CO. You can chose between 4 different week long or less seasons and shoot rag horns with thousands of other non residents  :twocents:

That's pretty much what I plan to do.  Some day, when others follow, what do you think is going to happen to the price of your tag?

The other part of why I won't hunt there again is the attitude with the residents.  Although not totally different than some states, they really treat nonresident hunters like garbage despite the fact that we pay the absolute lion's share of money to F&G.  The truth is that without nonresident revenue, F&G would be bankrupt within the week.

I would also guess the business owners in hunting towns don't share the "go to Colorado" attitude.

I hunted Wyoming last year and was amazed at the difference in attitude, it certainly got me thinking differently.

Offline deerslyr

• Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2016, 05:21:43 PM »
Every state is different in what you get in a hunt. I'll use elk as an example because its what im building points for and have the most knowledge, though I have a feeling these same pros and cons can be used for deer.

Wyo is harder to draw (can't even draw a general tag with 0 points), moderate cost of tag, nr's cant hunt wilderness, But I'd rank it pretty high as far as success and trophy potential goes.
CO has good tag prices, lots of OTC tags, extremely short seasons that you can chose from, great success rates and piss poor trophy potential.
Montana has incredibly long general seasons that good for nearly the entire state, good success rates, incredible trophy potential for OTC type hunts, and a very expensive NR tag.

The biggest difference between CO and MT that should be noted is season length. The tag Im applying for in CO is 5 days long. 600+ bucks for a 5 day hunt. No sweat for me I know thats what I'm getting into.
The MT general tag is good for 11 WEEKS!! Thats right nearly three months of elk hunting. To me that would be worth less than double the cost of the CO tag, if I lived out of state. And some day I might just get transfered out of state and thats fine, ill be paying the NR fees.

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2016, 11:42:04 AM »

We ususally go back to Montana every year to hunt with family on a cousins ranch.It is not a trophy hunt but a great hunt with family. The non-res native tag is designed not to price familys out of these types of hunts with the insane price increases we are seeing with the trophy hunting mentality going on right now. I think it was a great idea but looks like they might price some people out anyways.                 

Offline deerslyr

• Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2016, 12:03:39 PM »
Yah I usually go back to hunt out of the same elk camp my father and uncles have had for 20 years and don't get a discount. The license and tag is the same as what nr resident natives are going to pay now. The difference being is my tag is good for only one week of muzzle loader for spikes only.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal