collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Elk Tactics 101 - Scenario #2  (Read 4543 times)

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
Elk Tactics 101 - Scenario #2
« on: February 16, 2016, 08:38:40 PM »
Date/Time: 24 SEPT/7:30 AM
Hunt Pressure Status: Minimal
Terrain: Timbered ridge tops (including the one you're on) and a large stand of fir towards head end of wet draw; the rest is sporadic pecker poles (lodge pole pine) and tall alder/huckleberry choked side hills with game trail systems throughout the area
Tag: Cow or branched antler bull

Working your way slowly up the semi-flat ridge with your buddy, you hear an unsolicited bugle coming from your two o'clock (across and up the draw to your right) perhaps 500 yards away as the crow flies (green star on topo map). As you pause a minute to listen and look, you catch a glimpse of several feeding cows in the timber, in the direction you're heading, maybe 250ish yards up the ridge (green arrow on top map) . They appear to be feeding to east and are undisturbed.

What do you do here to maximize an opportunity to bring an elk home for dinner? What's the next move?
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Elk Tactics 101 - Scenario #2
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 08:53:59 PM »
I'd be jumping in the creek and booking it up stream...hopefully the creak and the thermals cover my speedy/noise approach

It's a win win getting in front of those cows

Offline Bucks2Ducks

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 08:55:31 PM »
Play the wind, but preferably you can follow one of those shelfs down to the creek bottom where it y's. Get in between the cows and bull, and let me him come the rest of the way to you.
When the buffalo are gone we will hunt mice, for we are hunters and we want our freedom-Sitting Bull

Offline Toad

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 10:44:47 PM »
for me it really depends on which way the wind is blowing.

Online Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 11:05:19 PM »
As stated.............    you have to play the wind.
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 05:26:27 AM »
I'd be extremely confident that at 730 am the creak bottoms are drafting air down hill...in fact even if the wind was wrong where I was, I'd still bet on the thermals in that creek are sucking air down

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 06:45:20 AM »
Id probably slip in after the cow to see if they have a bull in tow . if you slip in behind them they wont expect danger and may even retreat your direction if pressured .  I'd try and stay quiet inless a second bull chimes in other wise the bull may round up those cows and buggie . you may be able to use a lost cow call and have that bull walk right in once your close . If my second buddy was nuts id have him or I back track into the far right draw and circle around double ambush .
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 07:35:36 AM »
As stated - wind is key here but given the choice, I would charge up the creek bottom and get a better feel for the situation once I was in tight to both the bugle location and the meandering cows.
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 08:02:53 AM »
Scenario thoughts:

I'm assuming that the moving elk are approximately 250+ yards away from where you heard the bull bugle on the ridge/saddle area to the east (which is a pretty vast distance in this type of terrain). I will say that on 24 SEPT, the vast majority of the cows are herded up. I wouldn't be so sure that the moving cows you caught a glimpse of do not have a bull with them. Does this change your tactics/thoughts? And yes, thermals in the early morning in the western states are notorious for coming downslope at least until late/mid morning. Carry on  :) 
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 08:54:50 AM »
Scenario thoughts:

I'm assuming that the moving elk are approximately 250+ yards away from where you heard the bull bugle on the ridge/saddle area to the east (which is a pretty vast distance in this type of terrain). I will say that on 24 SEPT, the vast majority of the cows are herded up. I wouldn't be so sure that the moving cows you caught a glimpse of do not have a bull with them. Does this change your tactics/thoughts?

If the cows are only 250 yards from the bugle then it could be the same heard, with standard herd dynamics  (multiple bulls)

For me no matter what I'd be getting into the creek drainage, even they beet me and or my plan didn't work out & I busted them I would want to get to that flat area just south of the bugling bull....

My problem with getting behind them is elk usually walk faster then I can sneak in the thick stuff, and I'm going to guess they are on the move so I wana plan for where the elk are going to be...that's not to say that coaches idea is a bad one at all, I'm just stuck on chasing the herd bull  :tup:

Offline elkaddict652

• Hunter
  • Groups: NRA,WAC,TSC,VFW,RMEF
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2016, 09:21:25 AM »

Id probably slip in after the cow to see if they have a bull in tow . if you slip in behind them they wont expect danger and may even retreat your direction if pressured .  I'd try and stay quiet inless a second bull chimes in other wise the bull may round up those cows and buggie . you may be able to use a lost cow call and have that bull walk right in once your close . If my second buddy was nuts id have him or I back track into the far right draw and circle around double ambush .

I'd be that crazy guy👍🏻
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

Offline jkthomps

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2016, 02:22:38 PM »
Is it just me, or does that valley look super steep? I like the idea of jumping down towards the creek, but that might be a steep hill side to traverse.

I like these scenarios. I am learning a lot just from reading them and seeing the different thought processes. Thanks, Phantom16, keep these going.

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2016, 02:58:48 PM »
Totally depends on the slope facing, and temperature/cloud cover.  If this is a south/east facing slope with clear skies you are looking at a thermal switch before long, and I would want to be careful about getting directly below the elk.  However, if it was North/West facing and/or cool/overcast I would sidehill up towards the elk,  stay below, but not down in the creek as you can't hear anything and the going is usually terrible right in the bottom.  Close the gap, and call them in.   :IBCOOL:

Offline Camp David

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2016, 03:15:20 PM »
Tagging to follow along. I have an Idaho hunt this fall and hopefully some of these ideas will come in handy.
Don't spend your last day on earth saying "I wish I would have"

Offline Shawn Ryan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Snoozing in elk country.
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2016, 05:51:25 PM »
Since there are 2 of us, one is down into the draw trying to intercept with the idea that the cows belong to the bull, so that guy could use a light bull sound (chuckle, huff, or groan) to make the bull think he has competition between him and he cows. The other guy is getting behind the cows as quickly as possible and will take an opportunity to slow those girls down, if presented because the hunter in the draw needs more time.  The hunter dogging the herd could use a calf sound to slow the cows down.  Wind matters, but the draw hunter should have good wind. The hunter dogging the herd will have to be careful not to get above the herd, thus, his course should take him behind, but downhill of the cows, which will bring him in at more of an angle.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]