collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bear Meat  (Read 11307 times)

Offline cohoho

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Frontiersman
  • Sturgeon Time Yet????
Re: Bear Meat
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2007, 12:41:48 AM »
Coming from Alaska we were required only to keep the meat of Bear before 1 July after that it was your choice, we kept most except for the Brown Bear variety. (Never even thought to eat it especially when it had been laying in a dead Moose carcass for don't know how many days and maggots all thru the fur.) Had a couple fall Blackies right off the Sockeye and Silver salmon streams and didn't notice anything different on taste, but when they are eating the nasty ass Dog and Humpies that is a different story all together, I suppose.  Spring bears are the yummiest of all, nothing like a fatless Black bear early on.  Besides they are a heck of a lot easier to skin in the spring.  They make some incredible meat to can, the canning process really creates some great flavor.  Excellent sausages, a guy I used to take everything to, always stated to make it into a speciality that has been cooked at 170 degrees.  He wouldn't do jerky or summer type sausage due to lack of the temp. Kill off the Tric I guess......

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2007, 06:57:45 PM »
One of these days I will quite responding to this question.
The only thing better is a tender elk steak.

Having eaten the meat from almost 2 dozen black bears in WA I have never had a bad one. I have had spring bears with over 100lbs of fat to summer bears with no fat. Bears that had been feeding on berries to bugs to whole fawns in their gut.. You must trim all the fat and keep it cool. Cooking is also a big key in how it tastes. Slow cooking works best. BBQs are ok if you go slow and low. I prefer a slow cooker for roasts and backstraps. Canning is also great. Pre-cooked and ready for anything.
Gut, clean, cool, freeze and cook properly.
It boils down to preperation, from field to frying pan.

Why kill a bear if you are not going to eat it?

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2007, 09:42:23 PM »

Why kill a bear if you are not going to eat it?
Cause it was going to eat you first?  Aw, I guess I would eat it too, even if out of season if it charged me....
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline Hunting Cowboy

• Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2007, 12:53:32 PM »
We have had the opportunity to kill a few bears and I can tell you that we do eat them. The bears we have gotten were all gorging on berries. One bear we couldn't eat the roasts while the others we could. But we basically make sausage, jerky, peperoni sticks, and hamburger out of all the meat. Our bears were an 8-1/2 yr old 225 pounder, a 6-1/2 year old 200 pounder, and 3-1/2 yr old 150 pounder. We mix the burger with a little beef fat.

Offline robb92

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Location: Spokane Wa, Andrews AFB, Maryland and King George, VA
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2007, 06:33:13 PM »
My brother just got a WA bear up near Cusik and he brought some meat over and we just mad eup 10 pounds of summer sausage and man oh man was it awesome!!!! Nothing beats its for making summer sausage.
"ITS NOT WHAT THE WISE MAN SAYS BUT WHAT THE WISE MAN DOES IN HIS LIFE THAT MATTERS"

Offline LongTatLaw

• Suckling Slayer!
  • Sourdough
  • My 2009 West WA - Shotgun kitty Kat
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2007, 09:47:45 PM »
Hey RR,

DONT LISTEN to these guys!!! They are all liars! :P

Bear is nasty and it will make you very sick! But your lucky...I know how to dispose of such a disgusting piece of meat.. ;)

so, when you kill your bears you just call me and Ill take that yucky meat off your hands free of charge!! lol :P

JK, I love bear meat and Ive had it any way a piece of meat can be cooked...

If I kill one this year I might eat a piece raw... thats the only way Im not CERTAIN I love bear meat...so maybe its worth a try...lol

The Trich is bad business... we gut the Georgia wild boars like we were handling ebola virus!

Happy hunting those bears.. I got my eye on a big un today....!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal