collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Compound bow around $450  (Read 11740 times)

Offline buglebrush

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Compound bow around $450
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2016, 02:28:45 PM »
If you're new to archery don't go to Cabela's and buy a ready to shoot bow package, they'll slam it together and send you out the door.  Use your cabela's points/cards to buy some camo or targets to shoot at.

I made that mistake and it set back my archery skills for years as I frustratingly fought with a bow I didn't know how to tune nor shoot properly.

find a shop and get a relationship going with one of the employees or owner, or better yet a mentor with a used bow that knows a thing or two and has the equipment and know how to tune and practice with you.

Agree with this.  A good bow shop is worth its weight in Gold when you are starting out.  Use your Cabela's points for arrows, broadheads, sight, rest, release, game bags, etc...  :twocents:

Offline ashleychip

• Pilgrim

Offline WAPatriot

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • its not the arrow its the indian
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2016, 01:47:29 PM »
Don't listen to all this crap about package bows from cabelas being bad. I have a bear bow I got for 299 years years from cabelas with sight and it kills elk just fine.  Remember it's the not the arrow it's the Indian.

Offline aaronp13

• Tracker
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2016, 07:07:48 AM »
I have a Bear Legion that I got 4 or so years ago as a ready to shoot bow from a local sporting goods store. They set me up good with it and it has worked out fine. Killed deer with it no problem.

Looking to move up to a new bow here soon, but not because my current bow doesn't get the job done, just ready for something newer.

I wouldn't shy away from the newer Bear bows myself.

Offline Westside88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2016, 07:20:01 AM »
These guys are worth checking out. http://www.huntersfriend.com/  I bought my bow from them a few years ago as a package with everything I needed to get started. I specified sight,rest, broad heads etc and they put together a package and tuned it. It was shooting great when it arrived at my house. They have quite a range of package prices available.

Offline konradcountry

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2016, 07:36:16 AM »
Don't listen to all this crap about package bows from cabelas being bad. I have a bear bow I got for 299 years years from cabelas with sight and it kills elk just fine.  Remember it's the not the arrow it's the Indian.

I looked at their PSE bows and they had the same equipment as everywhere else. Not sure what the fuss is about.

Offline KenPCPilot

• Longhunter
    • KenPCPilot
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2016, 08:19:15 AM »
I bought a Cabelas Instagator last Christmas just to shoot around in my backyard range.  I am very impress for the price.  I put a trophy ridge single pin since I am only target shooting and a drop away rest.  I get very consistent groups with this bow so it is a lot of fun to shoot.  I have it set 50 lbs and purchased cheap 3 dollar an arrow walmart specials.  Shoots real well.  Only other thing to consider even thought it shoots good enough to hunt how well will the cams parts hold up over time.  I  have a bowtech Admiral I would sell for $300 bare bow.  Very smooth shooter.  I purchases a bowtech Carbon Night last year and is my primary hunting bow.  I think I will switch and use the Instagator as my backup bow for hunting. 
GO BUCKS

Offline Jellymon

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2016, 03:32:24 PM »

They aren't saying the bows are bad, they are fine. They are saying don't let cabelas work on your bow. Ask the guys at the archery counter which scope rings you need for your bow and they would probably tell you leupold.

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2016, 10:02:21 PM »
Hit every archery shop you can find in your area, go in and talk to them.  Let them know your honest budget, have each shop size you, then shoot everything they have to offer in your range.  Almost every brand has a budget bow, usually even in package form.  Also maybe shoot a model or two higher than your budget.  Then keep your eyes open.  Here, Archerytalk, craigslist, ebay..  Reason to try a few higher is you may stumble on a deal.  There are plenty of folks out there that always have to have the new lightest, fastest shooting bow every year, so they sell last years.  You may not get last years new hotness, but the guy that buys that used new hotness will sell his bow which may be that midline rig, or a 2yr old new hotness...

You Def want to shoot a model before buying though.  Bows are a very individual thing and not everyone likes the same thing.

Weight.  People can get hung up on bow weight, wanting super light.  Yes they are easier to carry and hold for long periods of time.  BUT, you can work out and train to get strength up to carry the bow all day or hold it up for extended times or long practice sessions.  Starting out, stick with a normal weight  bow not one of the featherweights, reason being, they are just more stable on target when you are making your shot.  The more stable, the more consistent you will be and keeping small groups which will help your confidence and keep you shooting.  Sure you can add real heavy stabilizers etc, but why have to when you can get a heavier bow from the start, and they are cheaper.

Case in point I started 2 years ago with a Parker velocity.  Fairly heavy bow, it shot fantastic for me I was clicking arrows @20yrds within a month of getting it.  Then I stumbled on a Bowtech Carbon knight for a screaming deal (remember trying out higher end options...).  Lighter, loads faster, more of a high end bow, etc etc..  Bought it and got it setup, I have never been as consistent with it as the Parker.  Sure I am holding nice tight groups, easily dead elk groups out to 40-50yrds, and I love shooting it.  But I am not touching 3 of 5 arrows like I did with the parker @20yrds.  This week I bought a Elite E35, it is 1.2# heavier than the CK.  The E35 is a ROCK and I have cut my groups by at least 1/4 and I have only put maybe 40arrows thru it and do not have the sights set or my anchor point locked down yet.
As mentioned Def get to know the folks at your local shops.  They will be the ones walking you thru things and setting up your bow.  There is allot more to a bow these days, cam timing, nock levels, rest level, centershot, releases, etc.

Offline konradcountry

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2016, 09:29:29 PM »

They aren't saying the bows are bad, they are fine. They are saying don't let cabelas work on your bow. Ask the guys at the archery counter which scope rings you need for your bow and they would probably tell you leupold.

That is crap as well.

Hiring inexperienced people to work on bows would be a huge liability. Cabelas takes pride in staffing experts.

If you want to bash Cabelas then at least do it for a legitimate reason like the weekend lines.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2016, 10:21:09 PM »
Hunt for a bowtech carbon knight!  Absolutely fantastic shooting bows.  We just snagged one NIB off ebay for one of my youth hunters for $295 to my door.In my opninion, there is no better budget bow to be had
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline DaveMonti

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2016, 10:53:58 PM »
Hunt for a bowtech carbon knight!  Absolutely fantastic shooting bows.  We just snagged one NIB off ebay for one of my youth hunters for $295 to my door.In my opninion, there is no better budget bow to be had

That's what I picked up last year at a steep discount.  I love the bow.  Very fast, VERY lightweight, and by far the most affordable carbon riser bow out there.  Personally, I have to laugh at folks paying $1,600 for a Hoyt that doesn't perform any better. 

Offline demontang

• Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2016, 01:12:00 PM »

That is crap as well.

Hiring inexperienced people to work on bows would be a huge liability. Cabelas takes pride in staffing experts.

If you want to bash Cabelas then at least do it for a legitimate reason like the weekend lines.
Man I can tell you cabelas doesn't hire people that know a lot 99% of the time. They dont pay anything and hrs suck most people know very little about archery and how to do much of anything to a bow. Pro shop is a much safer bet unless you do have someone you know at cabelas that knows their stuff. been there.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 10:21:02 AM by demontang »

Offline haus

• Too Tall
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2016, 03:36:04 PM »
I have about $450 and am considering getting into archery. I would like to bowhunt someday but know nothing about bows. My question is can I get a decent bow for around $450? If so what kind and what should I look for?
You can get used 2014-2015 flag ship models for that price used off of archery talk or here. Bare bow though. Being new your best bet is to go into a reputable archery shop in your area. I'd recommend going to Sportco and talking to Ryan, but being on the Eastside that's a bit of a haul for you.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 04:42:32 PM by haus »
RMEF

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2016, 04:01:30 PM »

That is crap as well.

:yeah:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand