collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Shot Card (veggie wad) vs. MMP Sub Base  (Read 2168 times)

Offline Sabotloader

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Shot Card (veggie wad) vs. MMP Sub Base
« on: February 25, 2016, 05:08:13 PM »
Returned to Popes farm this morning to run a quick test.

I wanted to compare the velocities I would get with the Lehigh 50x325 shooting the bullet with a card and/or with a Sub-Base.  The picture below shows the Circle Fly Shot Cards (Veggie Wads) that I use and a few of the MMP Ballistic Sub-Bases or Sub Bridge.

Today I set up the chrono and decided to shoot only T7-2f with a #11 Mag cap comparing the two velocities.  The same projectile was used Lehigh/Bloodline .50x 325:

t7-2f  ----------- t7-2f ---------------t7-2f ------------ t7-2f
110 grain ------ 110 grain----------120 grain-------120 grain
Sub-Base------- Shot Card----------Sub Base-------Shot Card

1. 1762----------1. 1790------------1. 1884---------1. 1879
2. 1765----------2. 1780------------2. 1883---------2. 1856
3. 1760----------3. 1775------------3. 1884---------3. 1878

Really can not say that I proved anything at all other putting a few bullets down range - which is always fun...
Keep shooting muzzleloaders - They are a blast!!

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
Re: Shot Card (veggie wad) vs. MMP Sub Base
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 09:22:33 AM »
Interesting that the card velocity is higher on the first set and lower on the second.  I'm guessing that they are statistically not significant differences though.

Can you shoot that bullet w/o a card or base and if so, what are the velocities like then?

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 10:43:52 AM »
Interesting that the card velocity is higher on the first set and lower on the second.  I'm guessing that they are statistically not significant differences though.

I agree... the difference will come in a 45 cal. ML - there are no sub-bases built for a 45 so the card/wad will need to be used most often.

Can you shoot that bullet w/o a card or base and if so, what are the velocities like then?

The velocities will definitely be lower in the case of these brass bullets and probably even a copper/lead bullet as the bullet will not be sealing in the grooves.  It will still shoot but at a lower FPS.  With BH it might not even shoot - to much gas pressure might be lost.  With a flat base lead conical all would probably be good and equal since pressure created will obturate the bullet to the bore.

Keep shooting muzzleloaders - They are a blast!!

Offline floatinghat

• Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 12:05:35 PM »

Interesting to see if there would be a difference with a conical and how much.  I would have suspected the fffg would have been a little "faster" than the ffg.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal