collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 12 or 20 gauge shotgun?  (Read 17612 times)

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
Re: 12 or 20 gauge shotgun?
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2016, 03:32:12 PM »
My wife had problems with a 12, too much recoil when we got up to heavier loads for turkey.  I bought her a youth model 20 and she has fired everything through there with no problems.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline Fishnfowler

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2016, 11:28:16 PM »
12 gauge.  The recoil has nothing to do with the gauge and everything to do with the weight of the load compared to the weight of the gun.  A 7 pound 12 gauge shooting 1-1/2 oz will kick more than a 7 pound 20 gauge shooting an ounce at the same speed.  The 12 gauge will be much more versatile and if you really want to send a bunch of lead down the barrel, the 12 will let you do it, (albeit with a price to pay in recoil).  Remember, "every action has an opposite, but equal reaction."

Offline jackson7

• Scout
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2016, 11:16:40 AM »
if you are going to use for ducks and turkey,12 gauge it is. if you are going to be using for upland , a light 16 or 20 gauge.

Offline police women of America

• Women's Board
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2016, 05:46:52 PM »
Thanks for the awesome advice! Definitely learning a lot.
Hi, my name is Josie

Offline asmith

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2016, 10:14:20 AM »
IMO, going off what you listed as birds you would be hunting, I would get a 12 gauge that can hold 3.5", 3" and 2.75" shells.  That way you have the options covered.  I use a benelli nova as my all around gun, for everything.  A bit on the heavier side, but you can beat it up and it still works.
Right wing shooter, I aim for the left!!!

Nowhere in your incoherent rambling did you come close to what can be considered a rational thought. Everyone is now dumber having heard it. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.

Offline Tiger1358

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2016, 05:16:56 PM »
Thanks for the awesome advice! Definitely learning a lot.
If you want a cheap, but a bomb proof shotgun, I'd recommend Mossberg 500 All Purpose shotgun, you can get a brand new one from Walmart for $250. Pump action, holds 5 in the mag and one in the chamber, has a 28" barrel and wooden stock. I've been using the same for a few years and never had even a single problem. If you don't care about the recoil, I'd recommend 12 gauge,it's a great caliber for both small and big game.

PS. that gun has a 10 year warranty and it's made in USA.

Offline fethrduster

• Scout
    • Mark Larson Gun Art
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2016, 07:14:05 AM »
IMO, going off what you listed as birds you would be hunting, I would get a 12 gauge that can hold 3.5", 3" and 2.75" shells.  That way you have the options covered.  I use a benelli nova as my all around gun, for everything.  A bit on the heavier side, but you can beat it up and it still works.

A 3.5" magnum howitzer isn't necessary and just adds extra weight you don't need.  Shotguns are more efficient with lighter loads, not heavier ones.  Anything that flies can be killed cleanly with 2.75" loads of 1 to 1.25oz shot.  My favorite duck/goose load is one ounce of reloaded ITX #4's in a 2.5" or 2.75" hull.   Deadly.

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2016, 07:31:29 AM »
If you have only one, 12 gauge that will shoot any of the available loads, Rem 870 and Nova are good examples.  To reinforce the fit, point all of them, buy the one that comes up flat and fast.  You made need some help with the stock from someone that knows the ropes.  Good shooting!!!

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2016, 07:34:48 AM »
I have this horrible personality trait....I want one of each. 😀

But to,answer your question, having the 12 would give you the most options.

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2016, 08:32:31 AM »
I'll go ahead and say your probably best off getting a 12ga that will take up to 3" or 3.5" shells (I'm not a fan of the recoil from 3.5" shells though). Benelli Nova, Remington 870, and Mossberg 500 are going to be best bet for function and reliability.

Now, with the generic advice out of the way, I'd recommend you get in touch with some members on here and see if some are willing to meet you at a trap club for a round or two on you, in exchange for them letting you try their bird guns.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2016, 08:35:20 AM »
Get an Ithaca 3" pump 12 w/choke tubes.  That would be either an 87 or a 37. 

Best pump shotgun ever marketed, even the 3" guns handle more like a shotgun than a gas pipe.  There isn't another 3" pump gun on the market that is a decent upland gun. 

Designed my J.M Browning.  Unlike the Winchester Mod 12 (designed by T.C. Johnson) it is a simple design.  J.B. Wood said that it is hands down the finest pump action shotgun ever.   

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2016, 08:38:12 AM »

A 3.5" magnum howitzer isn't necessary and just adds extra weight you don't need.  Shotguns are more efficient with lighter loads, not heavier ones.  Anything that flies can be killed cleanly with 2.75" loads of 1 to 1.25oz shot.  My favorite duck/goose load is one ounce of reloaded ITX #4's in a 2.5" or 2.75" hull.   Deadly.

I have a 3 1/2 inch Beretta Explor Unico that weighs 6.5 lbs dripping wet.  So that is not necessarily true.  It handles like a 2x4 on upland birds though.  It is a great pit gun, target gun, turkey gun, but it is a lousy upland gun.   

Offline jetjockey

• Longhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2016, 10:59:21 AM »
As I shoot more and more game birds, the more I realize a 20ga is all anyone really needs.  In Souh Africa two years ago we hunted geese, ducks, francolin, guinea fowl, doves, pigeons, and even crows.  My Father In Law and I both brought 20ga O/U's (against the booking outfitters wishes).  The first morning we hunted decoyed Egyptian geese and the PH brought 12ga semi-auto berrettas for us to shoot since according to them, our 20's would be a little light.  We did just fine with those decoyed geese using 12's, but I hated it and wanted my 20.  That evening we hunted ducks and they let us have our our 20's back.  We started smoking ducks left and right and then the passing Egyptians starting flying by.  After we smoked 3 or 4 of those the PH looked at us and said "well I guess you guys didn't need those 12's this morning did you".   We just grinned until we saw a spur-wing fly by.  Admittedly, the 20 would have probably been no match for one of those.  However, I'm not convinced a howitzer could bring a spur-wing down.  If you don't head shot one, even a 12 would be light...  The point is a 20ga will kill nearly any game bird in the world just fine.  Buy the gun that suits you best and don't get hung up on the big boomer craze.  You don't need 3.5" 12ga guns to kill birds.  You need to be able to shoot well and put lead or steel on target. 

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2016, 11:06:35 AM »
As I shoot more and more game birds, the more I realize a 20ga is all anyone really needs.  In Souh Africa two years ago we hunted geese, ducks, francolin, guinea fowl, doves, pigeons, and even crows.  My Father In Law and I both brought 20ga O/U's (against the booking outfitters wishes).  The first morning we hunted decoyed Egyptian geese and the PH brought 12ga semi-auto berrettas for us to shoot since according to them, our 20's would be a little light.  We did just fine with those decoyed geese using 12's, but I hated it and wanted my 20.  That evening we hunted ducks and they let us have our our 20's back.  We started smoking ducks left and right and then the passing Egyptians starting flying by.  After we smoked 3 or 4 of those the PH looked at us and said "well I guess you guys didn't need those 12's this morning did you".   We just grinned until we saw a spur-wing fly by.  Admittedly, the 20 would have probably been no match for one of those.  However, I'm not convinced a howitzer could bring a spur-wing down.  If you don't head shot one, even a 12 would be light...  The point is a 20ga will kill nearly any game bird in the world just fine.  Buy the gun that suits you best and don't get hung up on the big boomer craze.  You don't need 3.5" 12ga guns to kill birds.  You need to be able to shoot well and put lead or steel on target.

I pretty much shot a 20 until the non-toxic mandates came along.  I still use it for upland hunting whenever I legally can. 

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2016, 02:05:16 PM »
Bold words, I might have to disagree with, but that's like a Chevy Ford debate, and you are way more long winded than I am and care way more for your opinion than I do, so I'll just answer her question.   Get a nice 12 gauge

Best pump shotgun ever marketed, even the 3" guns handle more like a shotgun than a gas pipe.  There isn't another 3" pump gun on the market that is a decent upland gun. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]