collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Ideas to improve the Coyote Madness !!!!  (Read 12622 times)

Offline jjaba

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Ideas to improve the Coyote Madness !!!!
« on: March 02, 2016, 04:35:34 PM »
looking for ideas to improve the next Madness.  what do you think would help/entice more people to join and go out and have fun?

please don't say "this part of the rules suck" and nothing more if you feel something should change please have a suggestion.

thanks in advance.

JJaba
What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal. -Albert Pike

Offline cowboycraig

• Longhunter
    • What is an Operator?
  • Groups: NRA
Re: Ideas to improve the Coyote Madness !!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 07:03:26 PM »
Not to be overly simplistic but "Invite People". That is what usually gets me out there :)

Craig

Offline Ridgeratt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Old Salt
  • IBEW 73 (Retired) Burden on the working class.
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 07:33:04 PM »
Not to be overly simplistic but "Invite People". That is what usually gets me out there :)

Craig

From what I have seen it couldn't be simpler. You either get a team together/ or if you don't have a team they will use you as a free agent and place you on a team.

Offline jjaba

• Scout
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 07:47:59 PM »

Craig

no problem... can start advertising sooner....got it...thanks....
What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal. -Albert Pike

Offline cowboycraig

• Longhunter
    • What is an Operator?
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 09:51:33 PM »

Craig

no problem... can start advertising sooner....got it...thanks....

Thinking a "What is Coyote Madness" post would be interesting and draw people. I don't really know other than predator control what the point/fun is to hunting Coyotes. Have always had an interest but nothing ever sold me on it.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 10:15:57 PM »
I would like to see a summer madness.  Most of my coyote hunting is in the spring/summer months when you can make a larger dent in the population by taking out the pup factory's. Wa needs more predator control now more than in the past. With all the extra predators we have these days the game can use all the help they can get.  Plus the weathers better :tup:
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 10:24:12 PM »
Be nice to get more Wetsiders out there .. wish we had something like this 20 yrs ago when I was more into it ..

Offline jjaba

• Scout
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 09:01:30 AM »
Be nice to get more Wetsiders out there .. wish we had something like this 20 yrs ago when I was more into it ..

hunting the west side is difficult... went out at least 2-3 times a week would hear howls/barking in distance but they never came in.... OH well doesn't  mean I'm not going to keep trying..... :drool:  anything that keeps me in the woods is a good thing.

Offline Evil_EdwardO

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, LPC, ASF, GOA, RLRR
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 09:37:55 AM »
Get rid of that monthly image and go back to just the team logo with the current CM season printed on it. It was only added because someone was accusing others of cheating. If someone was really cheating just to win a couple of predator calls, then more power to them. I think a few people got discouraged from last year when we had to have a logo, monthly image, and pretty much a selfie with the dog for it to count. My team has had a few we couldn't use for the Madness since we either forgot print off the current monthly image or printed and forgot to put it in the hunting pack. This has happened to both last year and this year.

Offline Scopebit

• Tracker
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2016, 01:52:29 PM »
The monthly image doesn't bother me but I see Edwardo's point on folks cheating.  My only suggestion is starting in October.  By February they are paired up and don't want to come in as much.  Thanks again Jjaba! 

Offline DJ_Mack

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2016, 02:02:10 PM »
I would like to see a summer madness.  Most of my coyote hunting is in the spring/summer months when you can make a larger dent in the population by taking out the pup factory's. Wa needs more predator control now more than in the past. With all the extra predators we have these days the game can use all the help they can get.  Plus the weathers better :tup:

I agree with this.
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.

If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.

Offline Pnwrider

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2016, 03:20:13 PM »
I'm on the west side and would be interested in predator hunting, but put so much effort and $$$ into scouting for big game and waterfowl that I don't have a lot of motivation when it comes to coyotes. If someone on here wants a partner to hit the greater Snohomish area (or within reasonable driving distance), send me a pm. Maybe if I go once I'll be hooked???

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2016, 04:00:12 PM »
You could always bust up the experts and pair them with some of us wannabe's.

Kind of a Pro-Am theme.     :)
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline Ole man fintucky

• Tracker
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2016, 12:14:10 PM »
I would enjoy hearing more about everyone's day while hunting. I like to hear the story behind the pic or the story why there is no pic. I enjoy hearing others opinions on how they approach a set or the distance of the shot. Sometimes I'll read someone connecting on a long distance shot and I wonder if the yote held up and wouldn't come in or maybe this hunter is into taking long shots. Hearing the stories motivate me to go out more often.
In response to cowboycraig wondering the appeal to coyote hunting, I do it and enjoy it for a lot of reasons. First I enjoy the challenge of coyote hunting. Just look at all the teams that participated and the totals of coyotes that were shot, it's harder than most people think. Second it gets me off the couch and keeps me active. I enjoy the time spent with the three buddies I go with, half the fun is the drive from set to set just Bullshi••ing with a great group of guys. And the stories and memories that come with these hunts. For instance, a few years ago me, scopebit and OCD had a set where we called in 6 coyotes at the same time. They just kept rolling over the hill on a dead sprint. It was nothing I've ever seen before. They bull rushed us nearly running over scopebit. Needless to say that we completely blew every opportunity they gave us and we ended up getting ZERO. Afterwards we all looked at each other with disbelief and shame. We were sick to our stomachs on how pathetic we all were and the walk out was pretty quiet. But now it was one of the best memories I have of hunting coyotes. And we all still get a good laugh out of it. Whatever the reason why we all coyote hunt one thing is for sure, once you do it then it becomes addictive.

Offline Lady J

• Pilgrim
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2016, 11:17:46 AM »
How about splitting the most coyotes category to most east side and most westside?

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2016, 11:36:20 AM »

Craig

great idea, we can do that with a newsletter

I'm not sure we could get WDFW to approve a permit for a summer contest, but if there were numerous members who wanted a summer contest I would be willing to ask. If a summer contest contest was for "best photo" only, then I don't think we would need a permit.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2016, 02:13:13 PM »

Craig

great idea, we can do that with a newsletter

I'm not sure we could get WDFW to approve a permit for a summer contest, but if there were numerous members who wanted a summer contest I would be willing to ask. If a summer contest contest was for "best photo" only, then I don't think we would need a permit.
that would be good enough for me. It's just for bragging rights kinda thing anyway.
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.

Offline Ballance1

• Business Sponsor
  • Scout
    • The Shed Taxidermy Studio
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2016, 02:42:04 PM »
maybe break it up into regions or counties instead of just east side and west side.  Maybe do a draft.  we can have the past 8 seasons top guns be the team leaders and they can draft from everyone on the list.  You can put your stats up such as location, experience, method, and that way the guys can draft you and build their team.  Lose the monthly logo that is a pain to keep track of.  I don't mind the current year logo. just some thoughts

Offline Cougartail

• Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2016, 10:10:25 AM »
Have a "singles" category. Lots of people have "performance anxiety" and don't want to let team members down. Also some people just can't commit to a full season for a team.
Did Trump hurt your feelings?

I only seem like a macho guy if you have low T and you listen to the Village  People

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2016, 10:24:24 AM »

I agree with this.

I am not sure WDFW would give us a permit for that time frame.

Offline rynokron

• Hunter
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2016, 11:27:00 AM »
Allow single teams. Many of us don't want to be on a team with people we don't know. Also, I don't want to take someone I don't know and show them my hard earned spots. Give bonus points for shotgun. Calling a coyote inside of 50 yards and getting the job done is a lot harder than it seems. The monthly card and all the other stuff is a turn off too. The old way was much better. Like someone else said if you feel the need to cheat to win a couple hand calls go for it!
Personally I think the predator hunting craze is slowing down and contest participation will continue to go down. Hunting coyotes is a lot harder than people think. So when they buy a $500 caller, fancy decoys, and a AR-15 and still get skunked on most outings they give up.

Offline face

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2016, 12:20:54 PM »
Allow single teams. Many of us don't want to be on a team with people we don't know. Also, I don't want to take someone I don't know and show them my hard earned spots. Give bonus points for shotgun. Calling a coyote inside of 50 yards and getting the job done is a lot harder than it seems. The monthly card and all the other stuff is a turn off too. The old way was much better. Like someone else said if you feel the need to cheat to win a couple hand calls go for it!
Personally I think the predator hunting craze is slowing down and contest participation will continue to go down. Hunting coyotes is a lot harder than people think. So when they buy a $500 caller, fancy decoys, and a AR-15 and still get skunked on most outings they give up.
Its a lot easier than it sounds. I don't know or hunt with any of my teammates. You just put yourself on as a free agent and  the mods get you on a team. Print off a couple of images and go hunt.

Offline Cougartail

• Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2016, 12:26:26 PM »
Then why have teams? Honest question.
Did Trump hurt your feelings?

I only seem like a macho guy if you have low T and you listen to the Village  People

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2016, 09:22:55 AM »
I kinda like the single man team idea too

Offline Gringo31

• Old Salt
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2016, 12:13:21 PM »
Speaking for myself....

I have a harder time getting motivated for coyote competitions.  Granted, I've never entered a "contest" other than this one.  Competition has gone away since SBA quit.  It's the reason we didn't enter this year, and it allows others to compete.  I know swag shot a 42# dog this winter and I had a 24 hour period where I shot 12.

The multipliers are interesting but not enough to really make it worth while (if you are about the points).  I'd love to archery hunt them.  But, do you go out and get your normal 3 or spend all day trying to get one with a bow?  I've drawn a few times but never released an arrow.

In some ways I'd like to change a bunch of the details......in others, I think... simple is best and liked it with only bragging rights. 

All in all I'm pretty neutral, glad guys are going out and whacking them.  It's not the contest that makes it worthwhile tho  :twocents:
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2016, 04:35:51 PM »
Speaking for myself....

I have a harder time getting motivated for coyote competitions.  Granted, I've never entered a "contest" other than this one.  Competition has gone away since SBA quit.  It's the reason we didn't enter this year, and it allows others to compete.  I know swag shot a 42# dog this winter and I had a 24 hour period where I shot 12.

The multipliers are interesting but not enough to really make it worth while (if you are about the points).  I'd love to archery hunt them.  But, do you go out and get your normal 3 or spend all day trying to get one with a bow?  I've drawn a few times but never released an arrow.

In some ways I'd like to change a bunch of the details......in others, I think... simple is best and liked it with only bragging rights. 

All in all I'm pretty neutral, glad guys are going out and whacking them.  It's not the contest that makes it worthwhile tho  :twocents:

A lot of people might not remember that this started out as nothing more than showing pics of yotes. They morphed into keeping track of how many coyotes were shot by members. Then morphed to an East vs West vs mods or something like that before moving on to teams vying for bragging rights. Now it is teams only, lots of rules and requires a permit from WDFW.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2016, 06:28:23 PM »
Perhaps we need  a spring "fun shoot" where we can share pics, keep count and win nothing since the wdfw wouldnt ok a spring permit. I would be interested in doing that just to thumb my nose at the bunny hugging crowd.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2016, 11:05:28 AM »
How about we try a "Coyote Hunting Photo Contest" this spring and summer, no permit would be needed?
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2016, 11:22:56 AM »
How about we try a "Coyote Hunting Photo Contest" this spring and summer, no permit would be needed?

I like this idea, see how many we can get in one picture.  Additional points for milk lips.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2016, 12:19:38 PM »
love it

Offline Gringo31

• Old Salt
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2016, 12:49:05 PM »
Some care, some don't....

BUT

There can be added pressure towards groups that may include a "contest" and dead pups are pictured.

:twocents:
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2016, 01:12:10 PM »
I said that because it's going to happen, should pup pics be discouraged?

Offline Gringo31

• Old Salt
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2016, 02:03:23 PM »
It's kinda like the contest in general....

It IS a good way to get people who have never to get after it and give it a go.  To the guys who are going to do it anyway......it's less necessary.   :twocents:

I don't think pup pics are worth the hassle of offending.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2016, 02:30:10 PM »
There are thousands of pics on here that offend some one out there.  I don't think we should score pups any different than adults. That just asking for problems. Plus if this is going to be a photo contest it would be best to have tasteful photos. Could just make it a tally sheet like the trapping score board. Bonus points for best pic and for taking a first timer with you on the hunt :tup:

There will be some pups taken it just comes with spring and summer predator hunting.  The whole point is to encourage people to get out and do some predator control but it would be a boring thread with out pics.

Offline tlbradford

• Frontiersman
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2016, 06:03:24 PM »
Unless you have a need to control numbers, I think a spring/summer hunt is a terrible idea.  If you guys go that direction, please make sure you find the dens and kill the pups rather than let them die of starvation.  If it is about numbers you should be shooting them now and posting pics of the unborn pups.
Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2016, 05:34:45 PM »
For coyote control, where needed, I understand shooting all coyotes possible. For a photo contest about coyote hunting I'm thinking "No pups and no lactating females" in the contest! I'm also thinking the contest does not need to be for dead coyotes, I would like to see all types of photos of members hunting, youth out hunting, and even live coyotes. Let this contest be about getting outdoors for the hunt weather by rifle or camera, we've already got a winter contest that's about how many we shoot!

Any Thoughts?

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2016, 06:50:02 AM »
For coyote control, where needed, I understand shooting all coyotes possible. For a photo contest about coyote hunting I'm thinking "No pups and no lactating females" in the contest! I'm also thinking the contest does not need to be for dead coyotes, I would like to see all types of photos of members hunting, youth out hunting, and even live coyotes. Let this contest be about getting outdoors for the hunt weather by rifle or camera, we've already got a winter contest that's about how many we shoot!

Any Thoughts?
:tup:  anything that gets people out after coyotes is awesome

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2016, 03:47:59 PM »

Any Thoughts?

I probably wouldnt post much. I like the young and dumb ones!
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2016, 05:10:43 PM »
HAHA ,, I had a good video last night ..But to bad I used up all my minutes on my phone for videoing !!  Anyway I saw a coyote walk out in the field yesterday evening .He comes out and lays down in the field . I open up my bedroom window and blow my call ..he gets up and runs straight toward the house .. I can not believe he is coming ..I grab my .22 pellet gun as he is coming and as soon as I get the gun he is sitting at the fence about 25yrds away ..I just put in a pellet and was just closing the barrel and he heard that and took off ..  it was pretty cool to see him run up to the house ..

As far as the contest goes ...I would like to see a Solo team ...a lot of guys sign up but never get out ..that kind of stinks for team participation !  Just my 2 cents worth !  Icon is not working ...haha

Offline AWS

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2016, 06:36:25 PM »
I'm an avid coyote hunter and hunt a number of states and used to do a little control work.   If I have to take care of a summer coyote problem for a farmer/rancher there is no way I'd post pictures let alone pictures of pups killed.  Posting pictures of summer killed coyotes is a great way to end up with a coyote season. 

I never hunt summer coyotes on public land, they have every much right to the small and big game as I do.  But then I don't shoot coyotes and leave them lay either, northern winter coyotes are worth something and even southern winter coyotes look good made into things.

I guess I'm an odd ball as I don't see where any killing of things should be a competition, if there is any competition it should be between you and the animal.  Some of my favorite memories of hunts are ones the game won by outsmarting me.
After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Offline fast1

• Team: Dog Scat
  • Scout
  • one shot,make it count!
  • Groups: rmef,nra,nwtra,nwma,wspa.
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2016, 03:01:32 PM »
Like Ole man Fintucky said, it's about the memories we create and the friends we make that adds to every hunt. I hooked up with wolftrapper and on our first hunt we saw 14 dogs at one dead pile. At the end of the day our count was at 44 dogs seen,half a dozen shots fired and zero fur in the pick up,bad day but a great memory that we laugh at today and I got a good buddy out of the deal.
I'm a dog guy my self. I understand stand predation and the toll they take on game and livestock. Mid February i put the gun up, won't shot a dog if was eating the neighbors cat and could never shot a pup.
The monthly image is a pain,I don't have a printer so I have to ask to have it printed off which takes days somtimes. I hope we are all doing it for sport, it's not a money or big prize contest so I would hope everyone is honest with the scoring. As far as being singles, even tho we are a team we can still hunt alone. I've always hunted that way,but threw madness I have met a few people and actually look forward to getting together with teammates and going out. I've met some neat people who enjoy the sport as much as I do.
Drop the image,have a current team sign,lose the prizes and just have fun. We all know gringo has a breeding facility anyways! :chuckle:  Rules, money and prizes at times takes away the enjoyment of the sport.
Take'em boys!

Offline TheHunt

• Old Salt
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2016, 08:21:43 AM »
No idea what it is.  But from skimming the thread it seems like a hunting contest. 
275 down 2

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Taco280AI
[Today at 03:45:23 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw