collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Sierra Match Kings (SMK's) for Deer Hunting  (Read 35758 times)

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
Re: Sierra Match Kings (SMK's) for Deer Hunting
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2016, 09:13:47 PM »
White, 2011 F150 SCREW 4x4 Lariat Max Tow. 

Offline TheSkyBuster

• Aim High
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2016, 09:17:40 PM »
White, 2011 F150 SCREW 4x4 Lariat Max Tow.

Way more practical than a Prius, but you might want to check your spelling..... SCREW CAB ?   :chuckle:

Offline washingtonhunter121

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: nra
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2016, 09:18:15 PM »
They kill deer. Uncle has killed 6 or 7 with them the last 8 seasons or so. I have been with him each time. Is it a gameking or a nosler partition? No it is not. But in opinion they are much more accurate then those two.Out of the few rifles I have shot those bullets out of. Treat them like a vld by thinking more hydrostatic shock from the bullet not pure bone crushing ability. But they do well when you shoot the black tails in the head or neck 😊👍

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2016, 09:21:00 PM »
I've killed numerous animals with Berger target bullets with good results each time. Assuming they are similar to matchking I would expect similar results.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2016, 09:27:29 PM »
It is all in good fun, but when a manufacturer flat out states that failure rate is too high to be acceptable and we all know that Sierra is a company that we can trust then their opinion is not something to just blow off.  Sierra staff are there to help us to make good decisions, they love their job and they would not IMHO dry shave us.  For the love of God man, at the very least give these gentlemen the respect they have EARNED. 

Again, what is in it for them to say:  look elsewhere, unless they are uncomfortable NOT saying look elsewhere. 

My God man, at the very least show some respect for people whose career has been dedicated to giving us advice that is unimpeachable as being substantiated as being considered in light of what data they have had to consider.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2016, 09:31:39 PM »
I've killed numerous animals with Berger target bullets with good results each time. Assuming they are similar to matchking I would expect similar results.

I accept that Berger is being honest in their analysis and accept that they perform well on big game.  Sierra flat out states that the SMK does not perform acceptably.  So far no one has answered the pertinent question:  What is in it for Sierra to say - look elsewhere? 

Offline coop2424

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2016, 09:34:50 PM »
It is all in good fun, but when a manufacturer flat out states that failure rate is too high to be acceptable and we all know that Sierra is a company that we can trust then their opinion is not something to just blow off.  Sierra staff are there to help us to make good decisions, they love their job and they would not IMHO dry shave us.  For the love of God man, at the very least give these gentlemen the respect they have EARNED. 

Again, what is in it for them to say:  look elsewhere, unless they are uncomfortable NOT saying look elsewhere. 

My God man, at the very least show some respect for people whose career has been dedicated to giving us advice that is unimpeachable as being substantiated as being considered in light of what data they have had to consider.

Sierra has to take account for the hunter that doesn't practice behind the rifle all year long and doesn't understand what the bullet does on impact...  They also don't want to deal with the person that takes a shoulder shot on a big game animal with their bullets and them not performing..  It comes down to knowing what shots you can or can't take with your rifle and ammo.  That's why it is wonderful to have choices on what you use while hunting depending on situations... :twocents:

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2016, 09:37:37 PM »

I accept that Berger is being honest in their analysis and accept that they perform well on big game.  Sierra flat out states that the SMK does not perform acceptably.  So far no one has answered the pertinent question:  What is in it for Sierra to say - look elsewhere?
Right on the box for my Berger hybrids it says "not acceptable for hunting" and they seem to make things as dead as the interlocks I use also.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2016, 09:40:02 PM »

Yeah, because The good Lord knows no company would ever mislead a consumer.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline predatorpro

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2016, 09:41:48 PM »
Berger states right on their target vld...not for hunting!....yet they are the best bullet I have ever used for deer...I would rather depend on personal experience...u could look at it the opposite way...barnes says they have great bullets and I'll never touch another one...berger says their target vld bullet isn't for hunting and its my go too deer/bear bullet...just my opinion

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2016, 09:48:02 PM »

Sierra has to take account for the hunter that doesn't practice behind the rifle all year long and doesn't understand what the bullet does on impact...  They also don't want to deal with the person that takes a shoulder shot on a big game animal with their bullets and them not performing..  It comes down to knowing what shots you can or can't take with your rifle and ammo.  That's why it is wonderful to have choices on what you use while hunting depending on situations... :twocents:

Well maybe so... or maybe not.  IRRC, and the probability is that I do not, one of the objections was that with a chest through both lung hit, and out the other side that SMK went through "like a pencil" and did not do much damage in too high a percentage of instances for Sierra to accept that as acceptable.  Again, it is about sample size and how indicative lab results are of field performance.   I will be up front with you and say that the article I reference I only skimmed.  I shoot a lot of SGKs at varmints, but my big game bullet is the Nos Partition.  I really did not focus on enough of the discussion to comment except I remember the conclusions.  Again, what does Sierra have to gain by making it clear that they do not advise using the SMK on medium size big game?  Actually they have a declarative statement on their website that it is advisable to look elsewhere for a big game bullet. 
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 01:27:17 PM by JDHasty »

Offline 257 Wby Mag

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2016, 09:50:31 PM »
I agree jdhasty, barnes x boolits would be way better!!!
Tod Riechert fan club.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2016, 09:51:06 PM »

Right on the box for my Berger hybrids it says "not acceptable for hunting" and they seem to make things as dead as the interlocks I use also.

Again Berger probably has sent thousands of rounds down range and analyzed the probability of failure.  You have anecdotal evidence that is statistically insignificant in comparison. 

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2016, 09:56:39 PM »

Again Berger probably has sent thousands of rounds down range and analyzed the probability of failure.  You have anecdotal evidence that is statistically insignificant in comparison.
ill keep going wth my statistically insignificant evidence and killing things. Once you get done reading you can do your own shooting and collecting your own evidence.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2016, 09:57:52 PM »

Yeah, because The good Lord knows no company would ever mislead a consumer.

When they are telling you:  Look elsewhere.  Let's consider what is being said in context of increasing sales please.  If you cannot appreciate the dichotomy between a company trying to increase market share saying buy, buY, bUY, BUY as opposed to a company saying: look elsewhere then there is no intelligent conversation to be had on this topic between you and I. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal