collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New to Washington  (Read 4719 times)

Offline dterry2882

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
    • https://www.facebook.com/david.terry3?fref=ts
New to Washington
« on: March 21, 2016, 12:54:11 PM »
Recently moved to Moses Lake from Alabama, I know the deer hunting up here is different from the south.

I am looking for general information about the process for hunting up here, I prefer to bow hunt.

looking for information on:
Tags
Hunting Clubs
Places to hunt
Now then, please take your gear, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me;

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
Re: New to Washington
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 01:42:58 PM »
Welcome. Why don't you tell us a little more about yourself, post some pics, etc.

You have to choose which method you want to hunt here. You can only hunt one of archery, ML, or modern unless you get a multi-season permit. They cost $6 or so for the application and then if you get one, the tag costs 139.00 fpr deer and 182.00 for elk. The application deadline is 03/31/16. I don't think you have to buy your license to apply for the multi-season tag. You must be in the state for 90 days to purchase a resident license, and of course, need hunter education if born after January 1st, 1971.

Here are the past year's big game regs. The new ones come out later. http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/01712/wdfw01712.pdf
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 01:47:57 PM »
Welcome. Why don't you tell us a little more about yourself, post some pics, etc.

You have to choose which method you want to hunt here. You can only hunt one of archery, ML, or modern unless you get a multi-season permit. They cost $6 or so for the application and then if you get one, the tag costs 139.00 fpr deer and 182.00 for elk. The application deadline is 03/31/16. I don't think you have to buy your license to apply for the multi-season tag. You must be in the state for 90 days to purchase a resident license, and of course, need hunter education if born after January 1st, 1971.

Here are the past year's big game regs. The new ones come out later. http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/01712/wdfw01712.pdf

To clarify a bit, if you hunt "modern" you can use any "lesser weapon" during the modern season.  If you  hunt ML, you can use any lesser weapon.  What you cannot do, w/o a multi season permit is hunt other special seasons other than the one you have a valid tag for.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 02:29:07 PM »
If you like bow hunting you will have ample opportunity to shoot carp. No license no limit! Hunting in that area with a bow will be lots of work and long shots. Most people here dont use deer stands unless north of you hunting whitetail.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline dontgetcrabs

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 02:48:17 PM »
and of course, need hunter education if born after January 1st, 1971.

I think it's 1973.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 03:23:00 PM »
and of course, need hunter education if born after January 1st, 1971.

I think it's 1973.

Both wrong (and I teach it) 1972
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline dterry2882

• Pilgrim
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 06:46:23 AM »
Wife and I moved up here early Feb, she got a job as a nurse practitioner, I have owned my own construction company last 15 years while in Alabama, I haven't went back to work yet up here, still looking for something to do. I have always meat hunted never really hunted horns. Still working to get my first with a Bow. Wife and I are deciding on buying a boat or side by side first, we love to trail ride.

what is the best way to find a place to hunt? I have never hunted public lands, I have always used hunting clubs in the south.
Now then, please take your gear, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me;

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 07:04:02 AM »
Nice buck.

There are quite a few resources available to you on the WDFW website. Also, if you have a GPS that takes a chip, you might consider the OnXMaps chip for WA, which will show you public and private land as well as landowner info. http://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/?gclid=Cj0KEQjw2sO3BRD49-zdzfb8iLwBEiQAFZgZfDUQTrZBLYmB_-EAZ81Skjb7A4gzSHic74Bw75eVWFwaApnO8P8HAQ  There may be a HuntWA discount code - not sure at this time.

There are harvest reports on the WDFW website and a program called GoHunt Interactive Hunting http://apps.wdfw.wa.gov/gohunt/
Prospect Reports: http://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/prospects/

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 08:04:29 AM »
Some general points, several species of deer here, two close to Moses Lake.  Elk of different species are common but not close to Moses Lake, go west or east.  Special draw seasons for moose, sheep, goats and special restricted areas for deer and elk. Bears, cats, coyotes and now wolves are about.  Grizzlies are not common but exist.  Not near as much trouble with wild dogs as you may have seen in the south.  Feral pigs are rare to non existent and are killed at any opportunity.    Many bird hunting options, turkey coming up mid April.  Geese and ducks are a big deal. Lots of public land and private mingled together, you must know where you are, southern style hunt clubs are rare.  Moses Lake is in the middle of the central desert with irrigation the only way to produce crops which are many and varied.  The habitat created by all of that irrigation water, like potholes just south of Moses Lake, makes for a lot of hunting opportunity. 
The state rules and attitudes are vastly different from Alabama.  More control and complication, less take. Ask all the questions you can think of.  I know it is painful but wade through the state regulations and then ask some more questions.  Drive around with your binoculars, stop at every high spot you find and enjoy the views.   

Offline jmscon

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
  • RMEF BHA TRCP
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2016, 09:38:35 PM »
Check to see if your hunter ed certificate is valid here. If it isn't, sign up now! The classes fill up fast! In some areas they might already be full for the year. You can take an online course and as soon as you complete that you'll need to take a final 4 hr. course through Wash. Dept. of Fish and Game.
My interpretation of the rules are open to interpretation.
Once I thought I was wrong but I was mistaken.

Offline dterry2882

• Pilgrim
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2016, 06:02:13 AM »
Check to see if your hunter ed certificate is valid here. If it isn't, sign up now! The classes fill up fast! In some areas they might already be full for the year. You can take an online course and as soon as you complete that you'll need to take a final 4 hr. course through Wash. Dept. of Fish and Game.

i checked on that yesterday, I went to the office in ephrata and they was able to answer a few questions for me.  My biggest adjustment I am gonna have to work on is, hunting public, the how and when.

Offline elkboy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2016, 06:12:21 AM »
Welcome!  Good introductory material above.  It has been said (only half joking) that a person needs a degree in wildlife management and a degree in law just to understand the regulations here.  Happy reading! 

You will not find the same deer densities as you had in Alabama, but deer are (on average) larger in body and live in a great diversity of settings.  And you will still find your beloved white-tailed deer, just the relatively larger northern Rockies race.  Some of us do hunt them from tree stands, which also can work for black-tailed deer on the coast. Mule deer and elk tend to be a spot-and-stalk game (with calling as an additional twist for elk), with lots of miles on the boots. 

From Moses Lake, you could reasonably do weekend hunts for deer along the east slope of the Cascades (a lot of public land, mostly mule deer), and pretty much anywhere in eastern Washington (mix of mule deer and white-tails).  Message me if you want to know more about the southeast corner of the state.  Cheers, and welcome!

Offline dterry2882

• Pilgrim
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2016, 06:25:40 AM »
I want to thank everyone for there comments and advise!!!

I am open to hunting  any big game really! I am all about feeding my family! I grew up eating from the land.

This first year it will take a lot learning all the stuff needed to stay out of trouble! I have a goal set over next 5 years is to get a nice elk and nice mule deer with my bow! As far as this first season goes i just need to learn how hunting on public land goes.

In Alabama we are able to set up cameras and salt licks to be able to see and track deer patterns, so it will take some adjustments.

I am open to hunt all over the state for any big game. Guess I need to find me a new hunting friend lol!!

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2016, 07:21:21 AM »
Your first archery seasons are early, first part of September.  Follow the trail cam section of this forum until you get your own sites, our does will probably weigh more than the bucks you took in Alabama.  They will be eating wheat, barley, peas, lentils, chick peas and what ever grows early IF we get an early rain.  Hot and dry is normal for the early seasons.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal