collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Drew North Skagit - now I get a letter about access?!?!?!!!!!!  (Read 8284 times)

Offline engelwood

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
So I drew North Skagit Spring bear permit and I just received a letter in the mail saying that if I'm not at a meeting on April 9th I won't be able to get access to any of the private timberlands, get keys to the gates, etc. this totally pisses me off as I will be out of town on a family vacation (flights booked etc) and won't be able to get to the meeting. Does anyone know anything more about this? I'm going to be making some calls on Monday morning about this, but to waste all my points for a hunt I can't get on the private timberlands would totally piss me off when there is nothing about this meeting in the regs prior to applying. Complete disappointment. You should be better than this F&G.

Offline Eli346

• Eli
  • Past Sponsor
  • Sourdough
Re: Drew North Skagit - now I get a letter about access?!?!?!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 09:03:01 AM »
Sorry to say that most of the special apps have * in them about access permits and what not below them. It's hard to understand at times but they're there. What really sucks is that it seems they require you to be at a meeting on a certain day in order to get that permit. I hope you get the answer you want. I think if you explain your case there should be a way around it. Good luck and keep us posted!

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 09:58:43 AM »
So I drew North Skagit Spring bear permit and I just received a letter in the mail saying that if I'm not at a meeting on April 9th I won't be able to get access to any of the private timberlands, get keys to the gates, etc. this totally pisses me off as I will be out of town on a family vacation (flights booked etc) and won't be able to get to the meeting. Does anyone know anything more about this? I'm going to be making some calls on Monday morning about this, but to waste all my points for a hunt I can't get on the private timberlands would totally piss me off when there is nothing about this meeting in the regs prior to applying. Complete disappointment. You should be better than this F&G.

This is not a WDFW issue. WDFW work with the timber company to provide you hunting opportunity. The access rules are up to the land owner. It sucks, but all the deer and elk permits have been like this since the beginning up there.

Offline TheSkyBuster

• Aim High
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 10:02:33 AM »
You will still be able to walk in to hunt.   The timber companies have rules and regulations for drivers of vehicles they allow behind there gates.   I'm sorry that you expected to receive a key in the mail (no strings attached) but this is the way it is.  Be glad that Sierra pacific industries doesn't charge an access fee like many of the other timber companies in Washington.   Keep in mind that there are many of us like myself (with 7 points) who would be more than happy to get this tag and make time to attend the meeting.

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 11:02:18 AM »
I would call them ..I am sure they would have a solution .. They only average about 5 bear off these permits .. good luck !

Offline Sneeky66

• Tracker
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 12:38:50 PM »
Call and they'll set something up for you to get access. I know a few people that couldn't make the meeting and still got the combo when they had the tag.

Offline dune

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2016, 03:09:55 PM »
I drew Monroe last year and people didn't make the meeting. The gate combo should be available toyou any way good luck. :tup:

Offline TheSkyBuster

• Aim High
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2016, 03:13:22 PM »
North Skagit utilizes a key, not a Gate combo

Offline Jerome

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2016, 05:57:45 PM »
The past two seasons it's been a combo.

Offline tgomez

• Sourdough
  • "IF IT BLEEDS, WE CAN KILL IT!"
  • Groups: Evergreen Archery Club, Spokane Rifle Club, NRA
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2016, 05:59:32 PM »
Good old hiking boots and pack frame for you. It is what it is now, make the most out of your tag and good luck.
☠🫀 ULTIMATE PREDATOR 🫀☠

Offline TheSkyBuster

• Aim High
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2016, 06:06:42 PM »
The past two seasons it's been a combo.

I must be mistaken, my apologies. 

Offline engelwood

• Scout
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2016, 06:24:12 AM »
You will still be able to walk in to hunt.   The timber companies have rules and regulations for drivers of vehicles they allow behind there gates.   I'm sorry that you expected to receive a key in the mail (no strings attached) but this is the way it is.  Be glad that Sierra pacific industries doesn't charge an access fee like many of the other timber companies in Washington.   Keep in mind that there are many of us like myself (with 7 points) who would be more than happy to get this tag and make time to attend the meeting.

This isn't about "making time" to make the meeting. I would make the meeting if I didn't have flights booked for that day out of town for a family vacation. I play by the rules and am more than willing to do what is necessary to be allowed on private timber company property. I'm in the sawmill business and know the issues that companies like Sierra Pacific have with access and the public. My issue is that there is simply 1 single day, at one single time that the discussion can be had about the access. I will be making some phone calls today to try to get some more info to see if I can work something out. Please don't make an assumption that the tag is not worth my time or that I don't play by the rules. I've just never heard of an in person meeting, at a certain day and time that someone must make it to in order to get access to a large part of the huntable area in the unit.  Thanks

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2016, 07:01:25 AM »
Call them with your situation. I bet you can get this figured out on the phone today.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2016, 07:17:11 AM »

This isn't about "making time" to make the meeting. I would make the meeting if I didn't have flights booked for that day out of town for a family vacation. I play by the rules and am more than willing to do what is necessary to be allowed on private timber company property. I'm in the sawmill business and know the issues that companies like Sierra Pacific have with access and the public. My issue is that there is simply 1 single day, at one single time that the discussion can be had about the access. I will be making some phone calls today to try to get some more info to see if I can work something out. Please don't make an assumption that the tag is not worth my time or that I don't play by the rules. I've just never heard of an in person meeting, at a certain day and time that someone must make it to in order to get access to a large part of the huntable area in the unit.  Thanks

Access meetings have been held by WDFW for Monroe and skagit for the last 3 years at least. And almost any thread about either hunt discusses those meetings. If you don't want to be bothered with inconveniences don't apply to units that are mostly private.

If you call WDFW laconner they can setup a time to pickup the key and packet. Packet will have a unit map, open private lands, closed private lands etc.
People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2016, 08:18:39 AM »
Why would someone without a tag have attended access meeting the last 3 years? I don't understand why this guy is getting flack. A couple of you seem a little self-righteous for no good reason. Either help out a fellow hunter who has a question or move to another thread.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by jrebel
[Today at 06:27:01 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]