collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Best Elk Hunting Pack, 2016  (Read 36330 times)

Offline wooltie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
Re: Best Elk Hunting Pack, 2016
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2016, 03:05:49 PM »
best pack? duplex frame and kuiu ico pro bag.

I've had a duplex frame + DT2 bag before.  Kifaru is nearly indestructible, but heavy.  think my pack weighed over 8 lbs.

Kuiu's latest carbon fiber frame and Icon Pro Bags hold their own. 

I own four kuiu bags and enjoy pack+frame's overall lighter wait, the cost savings, and the ability to switch out bags for day hunts, 2-3 hunts, and week long hunts.

Though after about 4-5 miles of 90 lbs in my pack, the lumbar pad seems to lose function, and I feel the weight digging into my sacrum.

Maybe i'll switch back one day, but for now I'm good with the kuiu.

Offline Astonb86

• Beginner bowhunter & backpacker
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2016, 04:02:55 PM »
This is an awesome thread! I’ve been doing a lot of personal research for a future purchase. All the advice here will help out a lot.
Last season I kept it simple. Sometimes basic is best. This year will be my second year hunting since high school so I’m a little light on all the high speed hunting gear and can’t always justify a $500+ pack.
Last season I experimented a bit between a hand-me-down ACU MOLLIE 2 rucksack and a Kelty 80L. Both were simplistic and cheap or free. The Kelty didn’t offer a ridged frame like most load bearing packs but I was able to pack all the essential gear in and out. I also kept a garage sale special Cabelas Frame in the rig just in case I got a kill, it’s more than capable of carrying 80+ pounds. The ACU rucksack was ridged and had one main compartment large enough to stuff 100+ pounds inside. Never tested either packs' full potential outside of random weighted stints around the park with the kids.
If I had the money though I’d definitely get a Kifaru! Had the chance to try one of these babies on and I was more than impressed.
The easiest day was yesterday

Offline Thefisherman83

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2016, 01:28:27 PM »
Bringing this one back from the dead. 

I am torn between the Exo 5500 and the Kifaru Hunting frame with the Duplex bag.  Price wise they are the same, weight wise the Exo is almost a full lb lighter. 

Can anybody that has used both weigh in on which one they like better and why? 

TIA
Hunting and Fishing are not matters of life or death... THEY ARE WAY MORE IMPORTANT!!!

"Nothing Makes a fish bigger than almost being caught."

Poles are for skiing, Rods are for fishing!
Team Loomis!

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2016, 02:25:05 PM »
I personally don't think you could go wrong with either. I have tried on both packs but haven't put on any sort of miles so I couldn't give you any field experience. Some guys like running Exo bags on kifaru frames. They seem to match up pretty well
People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

Offline coop2424

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2016, 03:29:49 PM »
Don't buy the kifaru because it will lead to more kifaru purchases..  I have had both and I prefer the kifaru over the Exo..  Kifaru belt better and for me the materials and buckles are better quality than Exo..  Also the kifaru you can get 26" frame which the Exo is only 25" which was a need for me..  Kifaru is more comfortable with large loads 100 plus than Exo from my experience due to belt, shoulder straps and foam along with lumbar pad..  I didn't have this years version which some of that stuff has been changed.. Both good packs and most likely will be happy with either.

I am torn between the Exo 5500 and the Kifaru Hunting frame with the Duplex bag.  Price wise they are the same, weight wise the Exo is almost a full lb lighter. 

TIA

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2016, 03:37:55 PM »
Exo here, and couldn't be happier!  Packs are like boots what fits me perfectly may not fit you.   Used mine for a kid carrier with the meat shelf over the weekend. 

Offline jkthomps

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2016, 03:47:19 PM »
Exo here, and couldn't be happier!  Packs are like boots what fits me perfectly may not fit you.   Used mine for a kid carrier with the meat shelf over the weekend.
That is awesome! Great sales pitch lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline Thefisherman83

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2016, 03:53:12 PM »
Don't buy the kifaru because it will lead to more kifaru purchases..  I have had both and I prefer the kifaru over the Exo..  Kifaru belt better and for me the materials and buckles are better quality than Exo..  Also the kifaru you can get 26" frame which the Exo is only 25" which was a need for me..  Kifaru is more comfortable with large loads 100 plus than Exo from my experience due to belt, shoulder straps and foam along with lumbar pad..  I didn't have this years version which some of that stuff has been changed.. Both good packs and most likely will be happy with either.

TIA

Thank you,
That was more or less what I was looking for. My buddy just picked up an EXO so I will at least get to try that one on before I buy.   
Hunting and Fishing are not matters of life or death... THEY ARE WAY MORE IMPORTANT!!!

Team Loomis!

Offline Thefisherman83

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2016, 03:54:58 PM »
I personally don't think you could go wrong with either. I have tried on both packs but haven't put on any sort of miles so I couldn't give you any field experience. Some guys like running Exo bags on kifaru frames. They seem to match up pretty well

HMMMM.  Everything I have read leads me to believe the Kifaru frame is better, but I like the layout of the Exo bag.  That is definitely worth looking into. 

Thanks. 

Team Loomis!

Offline Waycott15

• Tracker
  • Groups: BHA Backcountry Outdoorsmen RMEF
« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2016, 04:23:23 PM »
Exo hands down

Offline cumminsbassguy

• Hunter
  • Groups: Spokane Bass Club
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2016, 10:24:55 PM »
what about a good ol hiking backpack?  a buddy of mine pointed out an Osprey volt 75. it is a hiking pack but I figure that it looks the same, so why wouldn't it act the same as a hunting pack? because of all the fancy pockets and the meat shelf that some have? im just curious because..,... baller on a budget

-Dustin

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2016, 10:32:40 PM »
what about a good ol hiking backpack?  a buddy of mine pointed out an Osprey volt 75. it is a hiking pack but I figure that it looks the same, so why wouldn't it act the same as a hunting pack? because of all the fancy pockets and the meat shelf that some have? im just curious because..,... baller on a budget

-Dustin

Hiking pack will do just as well as the cheaper hunting packs.  Load 100#'s in it, and you will really see a difference. 

Offline cumminsbassguy

• Hunter
  • Groups: Spokane Bass Club
« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2016, 12:55:44 AM »
I was trying to get him to explain how much your could carry with it..  his answer..  75 quarts. (the size of the bag).    I won't go that route,. I'll go something that's proven to work.

Offline Thefisherman83

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2016, 06:25:04 AM »
Most of the hunting packs have the ability to load meat behind the bag, against the frame.  The hiking packs do not have this option. 

Team Loomis!

Offline bracer40

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2016, 07:09:22 AM »

-Dustin

Hiking pack will do just as well as the cheaper hunting packs.  Load 100#'s in it, and you will really see a difference.

There's no question that Kifaru, Stone Glacier, EXO, MR, etc all make great packs for hunters. But my God! The price tag is a major hurdle for some (largely due to the difference between US labor and sweatshop labor I suspect). As I've been following this thread, I remembered this quote from Justinc (I haven't figured out how to copy the entire link, but if you search Stone Glacier, you'll find it):

A little background for those who don't know me. I have been backpack hunting for a little more than ten years now. I was lucky when I started out, and chose an Arc'teryx Bora as my first pack. That pack served me well for quite a few years, and I still think they are a great option for people getting into the sport. For the last several years, I have been partnered with Kifaru and recommend their packs to anyone seeking a top quality pack. After using most their frames, and a lot of their bags, I really can't say enough about the quality, and customer service. Just about everyone I hunt with has made the switch after trying one of mine.

Stone Glacier is also known for making top of the line hunting packs, and I have been curious how they compare to Kifaru, which I consider the benchmark for top quality gear. This year, they came out with the Sky Talus 6900 which caught my eye since it has a lot of the features I like in a pack, and is very lightweight. Kurt sent me a Sky Talus to test this year, and I will be posting my thoughts, and honest feedback, along with a bunch of pictures on this thread

Just saying, one doesn't need "the best pack money can buy" to get out and hunt/hike the backcountry.
“Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book, and a woman. Then if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a little fun.”
― Groucho Marx

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal