collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Best Elk Hunting Pack, 2016  (Read 36331 times)

Offline Branden

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Re: Best Elk Hunting Pack, 2016
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2016, 07:45:56 AM »
Hard to say which is the best since everybody has different hunting styles. My fave is the Kifaru hunting frame with the Rambler bag. Really like the layout and the frame is one of the best if not the best on the market.

As for regular packs not dedicated for hunting, we have used those in the past also and they work great. My favorite scouting pack is an Osprey Aether. For actually hunting I like the Arc'Teryx bora 80. Solid pack that can handle the weight. When it comes to putting meat in the bag or sandwiching it between bag and frame there are pros and cons to both.

If the meat is in the bag you might get you bag bloody and/or some gear bloody.  If the meat is sandwiched you might get your bag bloody and/or some gear bloody and your gear bag is going to be further from your back trying to pull you over backwards depending on how much gear you have.

The main negative I see with hunting packs now days that are durable and can haul a real load is they are loud. I always try to drop my pack but it's not always possible.

Regards, Branden

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2016, 08:47:49 AM »
I have a cheap pack currently (no frame other than alum rod in spine)  It might get me out with loins/straps, but not much more likely, hpefully a nice Elk rack as well.  I currently load it to 30# and after 3 mile march the straps are doing a job on the shoulders.  I also have a freightliner frame only that stays in camp, but also on the cheap side without the adjustments to really load well.

These top tier bags are really nice, I have tried on Phantom's Exo and that thing is incredible.  But the $tag, as much or more than a good bow or rifle are just beyond what many of us can jump at.  $330 for frame or $550 bare pack, plus then all the extras you need to really make it complete..  There is always the used market of course, but that is hit or miss.

So the question is, are there any midrange packs with frame out there?  Something more in the $200 area pack&frame that get the job done, good belt, load lift straps etc?

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2016, 03:04:31 PM »
I think we may all be talking about different things since the thread revived.  The thread started with the question " What is the best elk hunting pack?".  In response to that it is definitely Exo, Kifaru, etc...

Now, can you hunt with a cheapo pack?  Sure!  I hunted for years with a day pack that had no frame at all, and then went in with my Kelty to get the meat out.   If you can't afford the top packs don't let that keep you home!  However, I would've saved so much money in the long run to buy one of the " best" packs right away.  " Buy once, cry once " 

Carry on... :tup:

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2016, 03:23:17 PM »
I think we may all be talking about different things since the thread revived.  The thread started with the question " What is the best elk hunting pack?".  In response to that it is definitely Exo, Kifaru, etc...

Now, can you hunt with a cheapo pack?  Sure!  I hunted for years with a day pack that had no frame at all, and then went in with my Kelty to get the meat out.   If you can't afford the top packs don't let that keep you home!  However, I would've saved so much money in the long run to buy one of the " best" packs right away.  " Buy once, cry once " 

Carry on... :tup:
Very true it is talking best pack.  I just caught the last few posts and not the original thread purpose.  That EXO pack is a mighty nice pack for sure.  I tried a friends pack out and had a 165# spider monkey hanging off of it and the load was well set on hips and not pulling me over.  Pack comfort wise the pack was great, and I could forsee hauling 100# in it without issues beyond my own physical ability to haul extra weight.

Offline cumminsbassguy

• Hunter
  • Groups: Spokane Bass Club
« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2016, 04:14:12 PM »
didn't mean to drag it off topic,  :sry: :sry:    I was just curious as to what the comparisons were. one of these days I will have a fancy pack, ill just settle for my standard issue mountain bag till then

Offline b.roberts

• Hunter
« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2016, 05:33:16 PM »
My first elk hunting trip i had day gear packed in my school backpack/bookbag.  I hauled out quarters slung over my shoulder twice, before a guy in an atv got permission from a wdfw officer to head down the hill and help me.  It sucked, but i was so excited to get an elk on my first hunt that i didn't feel the pain until the following day.

After that trip i bought an eberlestock j34.  Awesome day pack but sucked for heavy loads.  Then got a rei xt85.  Not a great day pack, but now i could carry heavy loads comfortably.  Then i got a kifaru hunting frame with a dt1 bag.  A little too tall for a comfortable day pack, but absolutely amazing when loaded heavy.  Just recently bought a used kifaru late season.  The best day pack ever, but can still carry a load of meat.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline b.roberts

• Hunter
« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2016, 05:38:44 PM »
Long story short, if backpacking in for animals, and you can financially swing it, buy one of the top end packs.  They are that much better.  If you can't afford them, buy a large backpack from a reputable hiking company.  For a daypack, anything can work.  However, the top end companies really are better.

Offline cumminsbassguy

• Hunter
« Reply #67 on: August 25, 2016, 06:50:45 PM »
My first elk hunting trip i had day gear packed in my school backpack/bookbag.  I hauled out quarters slung over my shoulder twice, before a guy in an atv got permission from a wdfw officer to head down the hill and help me.  It sucked, but i was so excited to get an elk on my first hunt that i didn't feel the pain until the following day.

After that trip i bought an eberlestock j34.  Awesome day pack but sucked for heavy loads.  Then got a rei xt85.  Not a great day pack, but now i could carry heavy loads comfortably.  Then i got a kifaru hunting frame with a dt1 bag.  A little too tall for a comfortable day pack, but absolutely amazing when loaded heavy.  Just recently bought a used kifaru late season.  The best day pack ever, but can still carry a load of meat.

this is really helpful, I think I would suck it up for my first elk if I didn't have an appropriate pack.  do most people use a different pack for a one day vs 5 day hunt ?   or just buy a bigger pack that shrinks down?

Offline cooltimber

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #68 on: August 25, 2016, 07:10:59 PM »
At 70 and gaining age,I still use a Vietnam era pack frame with a daypack tied on it..When I make a kill I take off the daypack.Then bone out the quarters,however I still have to carry the dayback + my 50 yr old rem .06,back to the truck. not to mention the extra 45 lbs or so..
   My kids don't hunt, The last pack out was very steep with deadfalls, I had to make three trip's.

rvn 69-70 11 b 2p 173rd
rmef
  2 ways to conquer and enslave a nation
      one's by sword,the other is by debt.
               John Adams

Offline b.roberts

• Hunter
« Reply #69 on: August 25, 2016, 07:14:58 PM »
The big packs compress to nothing.  But they are still tall. Alot of people use them as daypacks.  I prefer a shorter pack for day hunts.

Offline cumminsbassguy

• Hunter
« Reply #70 on: August 25, 2016, 07:32:48 PM »
All this knowledge for a flat lander like me.   Good to expand ones knowledge.  Who knew a pack could make such a difference

Offline TVHunts

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+56)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA-RSO,RMEF,DU, Marysville Rifle Club
« Reply #71 on: August 25, 2016, 08:05:15 PM »
At 70 and gaining age,I still use a Vietnam era pack frame with a daypack tied on it..When I make a kill I take off the daypack.Then bone out the quarters,however I still have to carry the dayback + my 50 yr old rem .06,back to the truck. not to mention the extra 45 lbs or so..
   My kids don't hunt, The last pack out was very steep with deadfalls, I had to make three trip's.

Awesome :tup:  I can only hope at 70 I can pack out my elk.  We will know in another 17 years!
MAGA

Hey Slobbering JOE,

STOP the freaking INVASION

Offline PA BEN

• LINEMAN
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #72 on: August 26, 2016, 01:36:47 PM »
I drew a quality elk tag this year so I purchased a pack that I can pack meat with too. I decided on the Badlands 2200. It's a very comfortable pack, I've packed up to 70 lbs 2 miles so far. It has enough adjustments that I stay comfortable with heavy loads.   

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #73 on: August 26, 2016, 04:11:03 PM »
I drew a quality elk tag this year so I purchased a pack that I can pack meat with too. I decided on the Badlands 2200. It's a very comfortable pack, I've packed up to 70 lbs 2 miles so far. It has enough adjustments that I stay comfortable with heavy loads.
congrats on pulling a tag and good luck on your hunt!
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #74 on: August 26, 2016, 04:49:25 PM »
I mentioned it earlier in this thread that the perfect pack doesn't exist. I should have added the "best" will depend on a variety of factors only the individual will know. Ultimately it shouldn't be a cause of worry or stress. Especially for newer hunters.  That goes for any equipment. Many on here have used and waded through a myriad of pack options on their journey as an elk hunter. That knowledge can be very useful. But it can also be confusing and lead newer hunters to come to the conclusion that somehow an 800 kifaru will be magic cure. Its not. And it may even be a hindrance depending YOUR individual situation. Get what makes you happy. Be ready to make improvements. Hit the elk woods and start a journey. Maybe you will be lucky and get the best pack on your first purchase. Maybe it will take 3 packs, 5 packs, a dozen. Who knows. Who cares. If your still in the hunt after that many season your doing something right. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal