collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Not much luck...  (Read 4075 times)

Offline nickrj11

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Not much luck...
« on: April 11, 2016, 10:25:11 AM »
Been out looking for sheds like crazy! No luck though. Out around Eatonville public land. Been finding some really nice fresh rubs but still cant find an antler. Maybe they haven't dropped yet??? will periodically check back in those areas. Gonna put the trail cam up this weekend. Glad to see a lot of other folks are having better luck than me!

Offline nickrj11

• Tracker
Re: Not much luck...
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 10:40:02 AM »
Been out looking for sheds like crazy! No luck though. Out around Eatonville public land. Been finding some really nice fresh rubs but still cant find an antler. Maybe they haven't dropped yet??? will periodically check back in those areas. Gonna put the trail cam up this weekend. Glad to see a lot of other folks are having better luck than me!
Some of the sign I've been searching around...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline Old Man Yager

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, PRHAA
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 02:02:25 PM »
Hope you find something soon. There are some dropped already, It looks like you are in a good area.  I look in those swampy, muddy alder patches too. Good luck
My Dad always said, " Get a bigger hammer "

Offline AnimalControl

• Pilgrim
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 09:48:43 PM »
Keep at it. You will eventually start finding antlers and then will develop some spots that you can return to each year. I don't know how much the trail cameras will help you for locating antlers at this point. The blacktails dropped their antlers in jan-feb and I believe the majority of the bulls are dropped as well. Remember, google earth is your best friend. Look for spots that you believe look like good deer/elk terrain and put your boots to the ground. Once you find one antler, its probably safe to say that their are more nearby. As you know, the bulls and bucks form bachelor groups while they are shedding. Let me know if I can be anymore help to you. Its hard to get rolling with shed hunting but eventually youll expect to find a shed every time you hit the woods.

Offline LeadNSheds

• Pilgrim
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 09:58:14 PM »
Are you looking for deer or elk sheds? Those look like some fresh rubs, but no fresher than Feb. when the blacktail should have finished dropping. They look a little low to be elk rubs. From what I've personally seen, there's no direct correlation between rubs and dropped antlers when you're talking about blacktail. Elk is a different story though, I'd just expect to see them rubbing higher on the tree. I could be proven wrong about the blacktail sheds/rub correlation but that's my experience. What I have found a correlation in is bedding areas.

Good Luck! Keep hitting the hills

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU