collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Ferry county yote hunt  (Read 7476 times)

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
Re: Ferry county yote hunt
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2016, 03:30:41 PM »
Campmeat. Apparently I mispoke. I just talked to my buddy about the coyote/wolf situation and he says pretty much what you do. He is still killing coyotes but they are getting pushed farther South and are getting harder to come by.  I guess that I need get my info straight before posting.  :chuckle:  we've been talking cattle and horses lately and not furry critters.

Offline Cougartail

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2016, 03:48:11 PM »
There's probably one reason cougar are killing more coyotes than wolves, because we have more cougar than wolves!  :dunno:
When wolves outnumber cougar, then wolves will likely kill more coyotes.  :dunno:

Currently there are still plenty of coyotes, especially in areas where there aren't many cougar or wolves.

Regarding ungulates in Washington, the total predator footprint is likely as high as we've seen it in our lifetime, until Washington manages like Idaho we should expect to see increased impacts as large predator numbers continue to grow.

Elk and deer are coming back in many areas of Idaho because in the impacted areas of Idaho you can hunt 2 cougar, 2 bear, 5 wolves, and trap another 5 wolves. Wake up Washington before our herds really begin reflecting the impact of under managed large predators!

Bring back bear baiting, leghold trapping and dogs (for cougar/bear hunting). Wolves at the current level would be hardly noticed. This is the reason for the large predator footprint. It's not enough to have high quotas. You must have higher success rates which isn't happening with the current regulations. (Thank you Seattle liberal morons.)

The wolf reintroduction has coincided with a huge downward shift in predator harvest due to regulation changes. I'm sorry but after reading study after study on ungulate mortality I don't believe 300 wolves has a huge impact like some on here state. With 30,000 bears (Fawn eaters), hundreds of thousands of coyotes (Fawn eaters), thousands of bobcats (fawn eaters), and 4500 cougars running around it makes me skeptical wolves are the culprit for the reduction in deer & elk populations.

Did Trump hurt your feelings?

I only seem like a macho guy if you have low T and you listen to the Village  People

Offline Cougartail

• Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2016, 04:19:22 PM »
Read the early studies in Yellowstone, coyote numbers dropped 80% plus with the introduction of wolves.  They are now rebounding as coyotes always adapt quickly to any situation.

Both coyotes and foxes have learned to stay out of open areas when wolves are around. Being smaller and more agile they can out maneuver wolves in trees and brush. 

I only seem like a macho guy if you have low T and you listen to the Village  People

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2016, 04:23:56 PM »
Campmeat. Apparently I mispoke. I just talked to my buddy about the coyote/wolf situation and he says pretty much what you do. He is still killing coyotes but they are getting pushed farther South and are getting harder to come by.  I guess that I need get my info straight before posting.  :chuckle:  we've been talking cattle and horses lately and not furry critters.

No worries. And I didn't mean you specifically. Just a general statement. :tup:

I do hear about the 25 mile quite a bit actually.
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2016, 05:04:06 PM »
I haven't been over there in a couple of years.  The last time I hunted I found a fresh wolf kill up near Quartz Mt.  On my way home I spotted a huge, lone black wolf at 25 mile creek.  My tribal friend says that his cousin killed that one later that winter. I was tempted to do it myself but didn't want to wind up in the pokey!  :chuckle:

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2016, 05:06:05 PM »
There's probably one reason cougar are killing more coyotes than wolves, because we have more cougar than wolves!  :dunno:
When wolves outnumber cougar, then wolves will likely kill more coyotes.  :dunno:

Currently there are still plenty of coyotes, especially in areas where there aren't many cougar or wolves.

Regarding ungulates in Washington, the total predator footprint is likely as high as we've seen it in our lifetime, until Washington manages like Idaho we should expect to see increased impacts as large predator numbers continue to grow.

Elk and deer are coming back in many areas of Idaho because in the impacted areas of Idaho you can hunt 2 cougar, 2 bear, 5 wolves, and trap another 5 wolves. Wake up Washington before our herds really begin reflecting the impact of under managed large predators!

Bring back bear baiting, leghold trapping and dogs (for cougar/bear hunting). Wolves at the current level would be hardly noticed. This is the reason for the large predator footprint. It's not enough to have high quotas. You must have higher success rates which isn't happening with the current regulations. (Thank you Seattle liberal morons.)

The wolf reintroduction has coincided with a huge downward shift in predator harvest due to regulation changes. I'm sorry but after reading study after study on ungulate mortality I don't believe 300 wolves has a huge impact like some on here state. With 30,000 bears (Fawn eaters), hundreds of thousands of coyotes (Fawn eaters), thousands of bobcats (fawn eaters), and 4500 cougars running around it makes me skeptical wolves are the culprit for the reduction in deer & elk populations.

I certainly agree wolves are having no impact in areas where their are no wolves! I agree again, on a statewide basis 300 wolves isn't a major factor! I doubt there is little impact in most of Washington!

However, in the middle of the area where most of these 300 wolves live then wolves suddenly are a significant factor.   :twocents:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2016, 05:23:59 PM »
I haven't been over there in a couple of years.  The last time I hunted I found a fresh wolf kill up near Quartz Mt.  On my way home I spotted a huge, lone black wolf at 25 mile creek.  My tribal friend says that his cousin killed that one later that winter. I was tempted to do it myself but didn't want to wind up in the pokey!  :chuckle:

You probably would of been given an award and no pokey time.

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2016, 05:24:43 PM »
Ya if n.e.wa. wolves were anywhere else, people would be screamin.........This is the biggest phoniest sham wdfw has ever been part of.......we know it, they know it.   :twocents:

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2016, 07:17:25 PM »
Ya if n.e.wa. wolves were anywhere else, people would be screamin.........This is the biggest phoniest sham wdfw has ever been part of.......we know it, they know it.   :twocents:

I couldn't agree more, Russ....

Offline Cougartail

• Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2016, 07:30:42 PM »

I certainly agree wolves are having no impact in areas where their are no wolves! I agree again, on a statewide basis 300 wolves isn't a major factor! I doubt there is little impact in most of Washington!

However, in the middle of the area where most of these 300 wolves live then wolves suddenly are a significant factor.   :twocents:

And if you rid yourself  of a few hundred bears, cougars and coyotes in the same area the wolves impact would be negated.

My place in Alaska has 3 wolf packs within 10 miles of it and one fledgling pack to the north. Moose numbers have been increasing to the point of which they dropped the 50" rule and added cow permits. I guess they didn't get the memo to flee for their lives as I see them or their prints daily? There is however no cougars and lots of bear bait hunting and trapping.

Wolves alone don't equate to population reduction of an area.

Remember, before White Man hit the shores of America the elk population was estimated at over 10 million and wolves were everywhere. 

« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 08:43:06 PM by Cougartail »

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2016, 07:35:31 PM »
The moose population in Alaska vs the moose population in Washington is like comparing apples to oranges.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by gramps
[Today at 06:50:22 AM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]