collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Mountain goat permits  (Read 15282 times)

Offline Elkstuffer

• ALL THAT'S WILD TAXIDERMY
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
    • Facebook.com/allthatswildtaxidermy
    • All That's Wild Taxidermy
  • Groups: WWSF, NWTF, RMEF, DU, SCI, MDF
Re: Mountain goat permits
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2009, 09:05:33 PM »
I wonder if any of this has to do with the fact that the WDFW ariel survey program has been grounded indefinitely by our wonderful governor?
Serving Central Washington and the Northwest for all of your taxidermy needs since 1999.

ALL THAT'S WILD TAXIDERMY
960 Dilley Road
Tieton, WA 98947
(509)673-1579

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it."     Fred Bear

Offline shanevg

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/shanevg
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2009, 11:18:48 AM »
The whole thing is frustrating.  I wish they could make some of their research public.  For example, the Mt. Baker region went from no goat tags 2 years ago, to 2 tags, and now if the proposals go through, Mt. Baker will have 7 goat tags next year.  So that would indicate that in the past three years, goat populations have gone up from not enough goats for a single tag, to enough goats for 7 tags.  Well where is the research that indicates this dramatic change in population?  Make it available for us to see!  If we had the research available to us, this whole situation would be so much more frustrating.

As far as the new proposals are going, I'm just giving biologists the benefit of a doubt (as hard as that is) that what they are planning is necessary for goat survival.  But the tag dispersal ideas are retarded!  They are creating 3 block areas and then once you get drawn, they assign a sub-area to you depending on the most recent population research.  First of all, having 3 blocks is going to destroy drawing odds.  Everyone will choose all three areas, and all three areas will have terrible draw odds.  Then once you get drawn, you may not even be able to hunt where you want to.  Again, think of the Mt. Baker region.  Some people would only want to hunt specific sub areas because they know where the goat are and how to hunt them.  Other sub areas may not be as desirable to an individual.  Why does WDFW have to assign a sub area?  Just split it up into the sub areas like they always have done and let people choose where they want to hunt like all other species in the state. 

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2009, 11:41:46 AM »
I wonder if any of this has to do with the fact that the WDFW ariel survey program has been grounded indefinitely by our wonderful governor?

Then draw upon the resources available to them.  I'm sure there are local resources such as Norse in this area, and myeself in the Methow that could help them. 

Offline shanevg

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/shanevg
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2009, 11:49:36 AM »

Then draw upon the resources available to them.  I'm sure there are local resources such as Norse in this area, and myeself in the Methow that could help them. 

And I know of plenty people that could help up by Mt. Baker (myself and Timber just to name a couple)

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2009, 11:54:54 AM »
There are more hunters in the woods than there are employees of WDFW.  We need to be the look outs.

Apparently only trained biologists can correctly identify and count goats.
I can only imagine the number of annoying calls they recieve from people that have misidentified an animal.   I don't blame them for not using hunter info for official survey, but they should be looking more closely at the populations and using the best science available.  I think often times the bios get 'attached' (for lack of a better word) to "their" wildlife.  I also believe there are some anti hunters in the ranks. 

Their job, first and foremost, is to protect the populations.  They will always err on the side of conservation. 

It's frustrating as a hunter.

Offline ramslam

• Hunter
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2009, 05:19:42 PM »
Looking at revised recommendations it seems Naches, Bumping and Blazed are now back on for 2009.  If you agree with the addition be sure to send a comment in support.

Offline sagerat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2009, 06:55:47 PM »
Good, I hope they can get this right.

Offline norsepeak

• Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2009, 07:13:31 PM »
I've got a second meeting this week with the local biologist who does the surveys and his boss and the bio from Oak Creek to try to figure out a plan for the goats on the Chinook/White pass drainages.  They even said today on the phone that they would be willing to go out with me this summer to locate some goats....I almost fell over!  On a side not, I was way up high today and saw two huge billies!  One was a giant and might be new state record material!

Offline Ridgerunner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2009, 08:10:12 PM »
Thats good, if you want to know where they hang out in the bumping unit let me know.  I saw my comments posted on the website, glad to see that it made a difference and we got some additional areas back that should be open for hunting.

Offline yelp

• Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2009, 09:02:02 PM »
This came out today...a few more goat permits.. :)
Wild Turkey, Walleyes, Whitetails and Wapiti..These are a few of my favorite things!!

Born to Yelp!
Short Hike Guide Service - Owner

Offline Cougeyes

• Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2009, 09:58:17 PM »
Glad to see the new recommendations to re-instate blazed ridged and the other units, not to happy with only 1 goat tag but guess we take what we can get.  I agree with norsepeak on the amount of goats up there in those units.  Did you happen to get the actual mountain goat counts from their survey last year?  I'd be curious what their numbers were.  I was up there two summers ago and just off windy pass/north ridge and then looking into blazed ridge and greek creek we counted 50+ goats in one day in only a half hour of being there. 

Offline bankwalker

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2009, 10:09:11 PM »
i see goats every single day up by lake cle elum and cooper lake this year while deer hunting.

Offline norsepeak

• Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2009, 10:21:55 AM »
Coug, I did get the actual counts from this last fall ("08) and the actual flight path as recorded by GPS when I met with the bio who did the arial survey.  They only cover about 50-60% of the drainage so the data they have is completely inaccurate to start with.  On top of that, they only fly once a year, due to "budget constraints" blah blah blah.  Anyway, I have a preliminary meeting on Tues. then a formal meeting later where I plan on doing a little presentation for them.  I'll keep ya posted.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Taco280AI
[Today at 03:45:23 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]