collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: BH45 Turkey season ! PA hunt update 5/28/16  (Read 6388 times)

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
BH45 Turkey season ! PA hunt update 5/28/16
« on: April 18, 2016, 06:33:31 PM »
Well I must say I never seen a year like I have in the area I hunt . My main goal was to get my wife a bird . Our 1st day out was on Saturday . I rolled into my usual spot and no one around at all . That was crazy in itself . So I get  her all settled in and start calling . As soon as I ran threw my 1st series of yelps and clucks I was instantly cut of by a loud mouth gobbler . He sounded very interested and saw singing a song . Long and behold he pops up on a ridge about 60 yrds in front of us ..he gobbles and gobbles but would not commit ..As he finally goes back over the ridge I here one spittin and drumming behind me ..here is a good one for you !!! I never loaded my gun because I wanted the wife to do the shooting ....Birrrr Dirrrr ... I peak up and he is about 25yrds on the grade behind me . I can not do anything ..I let him walk off and get her turned around and give a few soft yelps and clucks and he just turned and walked off gobbling ... this whole trip was error on my part ! Should have been 2 up right off the start !!!!  So after those 2 incidents we wait until evening and scout out a few more ..As I walked out this grade I see bear tracks - couple turkey tracks   AND THEN THESE TRACKS !!!!

So now its morning .. I called in a couple hens and one jake .. he was a very little jake and she wanted a big gobbler ..after all that went down we headed to another area and walked up the grade about a 1/2 or so .. I set up and call for about 1 1/2 hours and nothing is answering . .. I stand up and stretch my legs and decided to throw a cut out there and instantly below us one just goes off ..Now I am trying to get her turned and get my face mask on and my gloves on ..I know he is coming quick so I throw her in a bush along the grade and told her to point the gun down the trail and when he comes around that corner shoot him .. Well he came around the corner and I am telling her to shoot put all she can see is his body .. I can see his head and I told her to shoot and she says I can not see his head ...  O my !!!!  He hears me and starts to putt and goes to leave So I had to shoot the poor sucker ... It was the perfect opportunity for her but just did not happen ... her 1st time ever going but she seen a lot of things she never imagined ..  All in all we had a blast !
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 11:37:19 AM by BOWHUNTER45 »

Offline Bango skank

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
Re: BH45 Turkey season !
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 06:38:07 PM »
Looks too small for a wolf

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 06:45:51 PM »
Looks too small for a wolf
That phone is 5.5 inches long ? maybe not but I was back in there a ways from any main road !

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 06:47:11 PM »
We tried the selfie thing but not that great !!  LMAO

Offline PA BEN

• LINEMAN
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 08:06:13 PM »
Way to put one down for a dirt nap

Offline Gobble Doc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 08:09:01 PM »
 :tup:

Offline turkeydancer

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 07:43:58 AM »
Congrats JB -next time the Mrs.  :tup:

Offline WaltAlpine

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • Westside address - Eastside Heart
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 09:50:51 AM »
 :brew:

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2016, 12:08:51 PM »
 :tup:
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline kevinlisa06

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2016, 10:59:38 PM »
Sounds very familiar! Every time I call a Tom in for the wife he back doors us. But we power thru! Congratulations on the gobbler!

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2016, 11:36:25 AM »
Well I have left the site for almost a month to go back to PA and visit my family and do some turkey hunting . This may have been the turn around of my decision to vacate Washington ! haha   ...  After being home and noticing nothing has change but actually has gotten better for PA sportsmen . There is now billions of public state game lands which is all accessible for residents and non-residents alike . It was such a stressful and meaningful place for me to be . I was into birds everyday I hunted but things never seemed to go my way . My biggest down fall was patience and my hearing .. my hearing is so bad I could only hear these birds answering when they were on top of me and a couple times I decided to get closer when I could not hear them and in the process of moving they busted me ..These PA birds on public land are the toughest of birds to kill .

It can be done but you best be prepared to sit for hours and do not even blink your eyes .My brother and I hunted together everyday and the only one day we decided to split up because the birds were moving around so much on us at different times that we decided we best do what we can to get a tag filled ! So this story goes like this .....

My wife and I were sitting in the jeep parked above the river ..As we sat there she says to me ...DID YOU HEAR THAT ???  I said hear what !!!  lmao ...she said a turkey gobbled !!  I said Ya right ... I step out of the jeep and yes he was gobbling ..Only problem he was across the river and I knew this would be hard to bring him across but I had to try ... We set up on him for about 2.5 hours and he gobbled his head off but would not come across the river .. Now here is a lesson if you want to understand a few things about turkey hunting ..Never ever give up on an area you know there are turkeys ..if he gobbles and doesn't come in , you best return later because he may have moved while you left and may be where you were previously that day !!!!

So after a few hours of listening to him irritate me with his gobbling I decided to leave .. the next morning my brother and I returned to the same area and decide we best split up .. I head back down to the river bottom and he decides to stay up high on the ridge above the river ..we all know its easier to call birds up hill ...hahahaha   About 8:00am I hear a fant gobble above me ..Still not sure if it was a gobble but then all hell broke loose ...  Gobble Gobble ...double gobble ...pooooooow  !!!   I get a text ...BIRD DOWN ... I shook my head and heaed up hill to find him standing there with a limb hanger ...It was a nice bird !  We celebrated and took some photos and headed out to the truck ...

« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 11:43:50 AM by BOWHUNTER45 »

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
Re: BH45 Turkey season ! PA hunt update 5/28/16
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2016, 11:45:22 AM »
Did manage to catch some Crappie ...They were tasty !!    Fatty !

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2016, 11:46:57 AM »
Share some more lies when I catch up on my sleep ...ride home was a home from hell !!  haha

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2016, 11:55:52 AM »
Looks like a fun trip.  That crappie is a dandy! :tup:
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline Kit Carson

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+8)