collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Changes at RAD - Broadheads  (Read 72635 times)

Offline quadrafire

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
Re: Changes at RAD - Broadheads
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2016, 08:42:37 PM »
That would be sweet.  I'm shooting 145 now in a 2 blade. Have been looking towards a Wensel. Maybe I'll hold out  ;)

Offline RadSav

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2016, 08:53:38 PM »
That would be sweet.  I'm shooting 145 now in a 2 blade. Have been looking towards a Wensel. Maybe I'll hold out  ;)

Once we get all caught up maybe I will make a few additional protoypes and send a you a couple to test.  If you remember the old Champion 125 it uses the same blade.  Some of the fastest kills I've ever seen were when I was testing the CH125 up on Crystal Mtn. - '92 or '93 I think.
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2016, 09:00:49 PM »
Amazing news!  Congratulations sir, nobody deserves success more than you!  You've got a customer for life here, so you know you'll sell a few 125 TiCons every year :chuckle:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline rtspring

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2016, 09:25:25 PM »
Another life customer.   Congrats RAD! I wish you all the success in the world. 

Thank you for all your free knowledge!
I kill elk and eat elk, when I'm not, I'm thinking about killing elk and eating elk.

It doesn't matter what you think...

The Whiners suck!!

Offline MLBowhunting

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2016, 09:45:24 PM »
 :yeah: Same here.  I think he would give the shirt off his back to you, even if he didnt know you.  The guy is way too nice.   :chuckle:
Copper John Pro Staff
R.A.D Broadheads
R.A.D Peeps
Hot Shot Pro Staff

Offline gallion_t

• Longhunter
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2016, 09:18:57 AM »
Just out of curiosity are there any plans to develop some mechanical broad heads? Personally I prefer the fixed blades, but I know there are a lot of people out there that like mechanical.

Offline et1702

• Longhunter
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2016, 10:28:24 AM »
Nothing in that weight range at the moment.  150 to 175 grain heads are such an extremely small part of the market we likely will not invest in that until we are firmly planted on some seriously hard ground.  However, we have been discussing a more traditional type of head.  If I could get a bright idea on how to make a better locking mousetrap for one it could happen in a reasonable amount of time.  But we don't want to just copy something the market already has.  It needs to be something with a clear benefit and easy use application.  So far all my prototypes have been WAY too difficult to build.  My mind is always digging and spinning though...we'll figure out a way someday.

Are you at all interested in a 145 grain three blade with a Ti-Con type ferrule?  Length almost in the Wensel ball park?  I have a prototype that works pretty darn good on that one.  Low investment too!  Could be a possible addition in 2017.

Rad, I'd be VERY interested in the 145gr TiCon too!  Congrats on all the challenges you've gone thru to make this a reality!

Thanks,

ET

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2016, 01:07:37 PM »
Just out of curiosity are there any plans to develop some mechanical broad heads? Personally I prefer the fixed blades, but I know there are a lot of people out there that like mechanical.

The past few years we have been toying with one.  But I believe for us to manufacture one it needs to be a considerable improvement on what is available out there right now.  And of course it can not infringe on the massive amount of new patents being filed.  It also needs to be cost effective to build.  So far I just haven't been able to find that sweet spot in design.

Finding a design that allows us to use hard (stays sharp through penetration) blades yet avoids breakage on large bone is a huge obstacle on expandables.  If you look at what is out there you have two choices - durable and dull or sharp and fragile.  For most whitetails you can live with those.  For western elk hunters neither is an advantage.  We need durable and sharp out here. Until we can figure out how to have both we'll be content to wait on releasing an expandable.

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2016, 11:54:58 PM »
Had a long talk with my brother this evening.  He just finished up the initial stock orders for broadhead ferrules and is finishing up the programming for peeps.  Once we start producing peep sights in-house those high machine payments are going to be much less consuming.  Maybe my heart rate and blood pressure can start getting back to normal soon.  I might even be able to reschedule that next sheep hunt before I'm too old.

Also had a chance to speak with Jason Phelps for a good while earlier today.  His crew is on board to team up with RAD again for 2016.  I can't think of a better bunch of guys to represent us out in the field.  Was really good news to hear!  We want to give a big Thank You to the Phelps Team for believing in us and the product line.

D-Rock has some new 125 grain VanDykes heading his way soon.  I'm putting pins in those tonight.  Man!! - Those are looking really nice!  Unlike the ones he tested for us last year the 2016 model has the exact ferrule contour as the 100 grain Titanium Signature, Triple Sec and the 2016 MadMan.  Only real difference is the addition of a brass collar.  Once I get these pinned I'll try to take a quick picture and post.  I'm thinking my brother needs to be prepared to make a bunch more of these!  They are stunning to look at. :tup:

Sounds like MLBowhunting has got the RAD Broadhead changes handled on Instagram.  MLB has really been giving this his all as well as coming down last week to help out with packaging and old dog sitting while I was at the hospital with the wife.  What a blessing he has been!  One of these days we are going to need him added to the payroll. :o

We also got a chance to check in with Del DelMastro.  He received his new AC Injections and is finishing up all the fletching.  Sounds like he will be off on a Canadian bear hunt in the coming weeks to run a "Deep Six" DelMastro 100 through a big boar for the first time.  Del has been a Carbon Express guy for as long as I have known him.  So seeing him shoot a Deep Six Easton shaft is an amazing thing on it's own.  He seemed pretty excited when we talked!  We wish him the best of luck.  Hopefully I will have pictures of his hunt to share soon.

Last year I mentioned in another thread that we would try to get Del on Hunt-WA for a live Q&A or maybe start a DelMastro Q&A thread.  He has agreed to do it and has now set up as a H-W member.  Once he returns from his big hunt we will make a time and work out the details.  I'm not sure how well and fast he types but it should be a fun back and forth.  He is not only one of the more accomplished bowhunters on the planet, but one of the great guys in archery as well.  If this works out well...maybe I can talk other friends of mine from the industry to do the same.  Could be a lot of fun!

Things are getting cranked up!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 12:29:38 AM by RadSav »

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2016, 12:20:08 AM »
Just a quick cell phone pic of the 2016 - 125 VanDyke.  If I remember I'll replace later when I find the other camera.  It went on a rock rounding trip a couple weeks ago and is MIA.

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2016, 02:46:00 AM »
Awesome job all around  :tup:

Here was a direct head to head of the slick trick & last year's delmastros HPV titanium line....the slick trick got lost in a  block target from a bad insert and with out my knowledge I made the perfect shot not long after on the opposite side of the target

Pretty obvious who won ! Great product

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2016, 03:12:21 AM »
That insert pull out on an Axis or an FMJ?  I've had one heck of a time with the HIT inserts coming loose in my FMJ's.  Finally figured out if I clean the inside of the shaft with 90% alcohol or better and then use Loctite 380 impact modified Black Max (keep refrigerated) they really lock in there pretty good.  I used 72% and even the 380 was coming loose.

Thanks for posting the picture.  Not sure we'll ever see another one like that.  Pretty cool :tup:

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2016, 03:23:55 AM »
I believe it was a black eagle rampage actually

The delmastro was actually lodged in the back end of the blades of the slick trick btw,I love slick tricks and know this isn't exactly fair but still cool how well the delmastros held up

Will definitely send as many orders your way as I can

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2016, 10:56:30 PM »
Congratulations!!

Offline 92xj

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2016, 07:39:00 PM »
Finally, the 125!!
Rad, they look great, please keep me posted when they are available. Congrats on the new decisions and journey with the company, I look forward to watching your growth and success.
"If you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane."

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by HntnFsh
[Today at 02:12:56 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw