collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Changes at RAD - Broadheads  (Read 72641 times)

Offline D-Rock425

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Re: Changes at RAD - Broadheads
« Reply #195 on: July 25, 2017, 08:07:31 AM »
I learned 2 things last night I'm a dummy and the rival blades are sharp.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 11:08:53 AM by D-Rock425 »

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Slow down and enjoy the moment.
« Reply #196 on: July 25, 2017, 10:22:11 AM »
I learned 2 things last night I'm a *censored* and the rival blades are sharp.
See what you get for using your hands and not a broadhead tightener.
One touch of nature makes the whole world kin.

Offline RadSav

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #197 on: July 26, 2017, 12:10:33 AM »
The number one reason people cut themselves with broadheads is they try to turn the head.  The short blade heads like the Rival LPS are really nasty if you try to turn the head.  Always hold the broadhead solid and turn the arrow shaft! 

If you feel the need to give it just a little extra tight seat or you have a head that doesn't want to budge out of an insert...Place the arrow flat on a table with the blades on a junk piece of wood.  Then put pressure down on the ferrule and turn the shaft.  This is also the technique you should use with a broadhead wrench too.  But when done properly you really should not need a head wrench.

Once Sahara finally gets here I will be doing some small videos giving more detail on safe handling.

He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline MLBowhunting

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #198 on: July 29, 2017, 08:19:54 PM »
 :tup:
Copper John Pro Staff
R.A.D Broadheads
R.A.D Peeps
Hot Shot Pro Staff

Online WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #199 on: July 29, 2017, 09:18:34 PM »
For those who have been waiting for a Rival 100 I'm hoping to have some good news mid August!!

Last I posted on a possible 100 grain option I was saying it may take a small miracle to get the 125 stainless steel ferrule down to 100 grains.  Well, today I will be sending out the "Rival 100 - prototype #3" to Jason Phelps, Justin Llanes, and MLBowhunting for some field destruction and kill work.  And to my pleasant surprise it looks as though we will have Low Profile and High Profile blade options.  Think we got it this time!!!

Should have some hogs, goats and sheep hitting the ground within the next two weeks!  Justin and Jason should be pounding them into rocks and launching them from the heavens.  I'll be skipping them, slamming them into concrete, and taking them beyond the breaking point starting tonight.  Going to be a pile of bloody and broken arrows in the following month of testing to make sure they will hold up.  Now the fun part begins!

Interesting, 100 GN. My interest is peaked; I'm kind of a broad head junkie ;). I may have to try some of these out on my Black Eagle Rampage shafts and Darton Maverick and see how they marry up.  They look to be on the mark. Please let me/us know when they're available.
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #200 on: July 30, 2017, 02:22:59 AM »
The Rival 125 is on the market now.  100 grain will not be available until I can cycle it through all the destruction tests and we get our 10 animal reviews.  Thought we would have a sheep or two by now, but Hawaii was proving pretty tough today.  Field testing will slow now until mid week when we will have Justin Llanes pounding some hogs followed by Jeremiah on some hogs on the 9th.  It's a tough field test as we already know the blades and overall design work fine.  It's now just a case of field durability with the modified ferrule.  Which means pounding them into shoulders of live animals.  Some of these animals, like wild sheep, are easier to kill than they are to get those perfect test shots on.

I still have some further lab type tests to do.  So far I can't get repeatable failures, which is odd.  Will switch to aluminum shafts and see if that helps eliminate the random breakage of the shafts before head failure.  Hard to assess weaknesses until failures repeat.  If the aluminum doesn't work then I'll step up the speed and switch from concrete blocks to thick steel plates.  At some point we'll figure a way to manipulate the test to a point they have to fail the same way in succession.

Then they go into production runs which will require some extra programming.  Cards have to be designed, printed and coated.  Then releases to customers...  So there is a chance to see them before late season.  No reasonable expectation they will ready before then.

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #201 on: July 31, 2017, 03:41:22 AM »
Justin wasn't able to wait!  Just two days after getting the new Rival 100 prototype Justin delivers it's first field test.  Wind on the 30 yard shot was just enough to miss busting the off shoulder.  But the heart shot resulted in a 20 yard recovery from the stainless prototype ferrule and Low Profile Vented (LPV) blades.  Arrow was recovered 30 yards beyond point of impact.  Ferrule still spinning true and ready for hog shoulders later in the week.

We'll post up some autopsy and wound analysis pics and video as soon as the prototype testing is completed.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 11:58:28 PM by RadSav »

Offline Shooting Stix

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #202 on: July 31, 2017, 06:23:45 PM »
Very nice I love goats I am going to try that out one day

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #203 on: August 08, 2017, 03:46:55 PM »
MLBowhunting will be take the last animal needed in the testing of the prototype Rival 100.  Unless something major changes with the larger hag he is expected to shoot on the next few days we should move into the production planning stage.  So far testing has gone better than we had expected!  So much so we are releasing full pictures of the ferrule changes for the 100 grain.

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #204 on: August 08, 2017, 11:40:29 PM »
This pic is from a large hog we didn't get a night time picture of.  Head went through the hip and into some lava rock on the other side.  This is the worst damage we have seen so far.  That's some BIG bone and still got pass through with a 390 grain arrow from a 65# Obsession bow.

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #205 on: August 08, 2017, 11:42:39 PM »
Low Profile Vented version after a shoulder shot on a goat.

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #206 on: August 08, 2017, 11:48:52 PM »
Good Ram taken by Justin also.  This was the only animal we did not recover the arrow from.  Two guys looking for an hour with no luck.  Low Profile Vented blade completely crushed the off-side shoulder and still had enough to skip off into the canyon.  Tough critters 40 yard shot and about a 50 yard recovery after the roll.

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #207 on: August 08, 2017, 11:55:56 PM »
This hog shot was just what I had asked for.  Absolutely smashed the front shoulder.  Hard enough impact to splinter all the way up into the scapula.  Arrow continued through four ribs, out the hinds and still made it another 8-10 yards after exit.  This is the High Profile version of the head.  Also shot from 28"/65# Obsession bow 390 grain arrow.  About 40 yards.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #208 on: August 11, 2017, 07:06:05 AM »
great photos, those broadheads are looking good  :tup:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #209 on: August 11, 2017, 08:06:34 PM »
 :yeah:  I have shot the ti con 100 and been very pleased. I actually shot several other heads to flight test mainly because locating the ti cons is difficult, they flew well, but in the end I went with what gives me confidence and ordered difect from RAD. Can't wait for these new 100 rivals they look awesome!!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]