collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hive check  (Read 8993 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Hive check
« on: April 22, 2016, 11:27:46 PM »
We got curious and decided to check on the hive tonight. Looks like everything is going smooth and the bees are hard at work. This hive is a week and a half old. We put a package in last Wednesday night. Looking forward to the honey we'll eventually get. This is good fun too.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline DaveMonti

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
Re: Hive check
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 11:33:48 PM »
We had a few hives when I was a teenager.  Its a very cool hobby!  I've been thinking of getting back into it.  We've got some fruit trees that need pollination!

Offline Becky

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 02:06:57 AM »
Random question and not trying to hijack, but would that destroy a person with allergies to have a hobby like that? I never thought of it before, but now seeing all that pollen...

Offline Taco280AI

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 07:20:19 AM »
Would like a few hives eventually :tup:

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2016, 07:46:31 AM »
Random question and not trying to hijack, but would that destroy a person with allergies to have a hobby like that? I never thought of it before, but now seeing all that pollen...
Honestly I have no clue. I don't really have allergies so I never did any research on that.  My guess is no, because it's not flying around in the air. You could be touching it, but most folks were heavy gloves when working with the hives.
Some of the more experienced beekeepers on here may chime in. I know they say a spoonful of local to you honey helps with allergies. The closer to you it originates from, the better for that.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline 92xj

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2016, 07:55:53 AM »
this is something I want to do badly but don't think it would be the best decision I've ever made in life since some bee stings a few years ago pretty much killed me. 
Look forward to watching and keeping up with your journey with this!
I will trade smoked goods for honey when you're ready.  8)
"If you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane."

Offline TheHunt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2016, 08:07:35 AM »
I have a friend who does that and last year he had 4 hives this year he is hoping for 10.   It is fun but at the same time it is time consuming.
275 down 2

Offline rjmcm

• Tracker
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2016, 09:09:12 AM »
there is a difference between the pollen in the air and the pollen packed into the cells.  Between my boy and I we have six hives and I have allergies. the pollen in the hives has never had any affect.  If you are really interested in bees join a bee association.  Most are affiliated with a university and you can learn a lot from the studies they have done.

Jackelope; great pictures, nice brood pattern on the frames. I could not spot the queen but that is par for the coarse for me

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2016, 09:17:14 AM »
there is a difference between the pollen in the air and the pollen packed into the cells.  Between my boy and I we have six hives and I have allergies. the pollen in the hives has never had any affect.  If you are really interested in bees join a bee association.  Most are affiliated with a university and you can learn a lot from the studies they have done.

Jackelope; great pictures, nice brood pattern on the frames. I could not spot the queen but that is par for the coarse for me

Thanks. We looked last night for a bit and we couldn't find her either.

Offline Kazekurt

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
  • The trophy is in the hunt; the animal is a bonus!
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2016, 09:53:39 AM »
Always good to see forum members enjoying beekeeping!  Ive worked in the industry for 16 years and have been a partner in a couple large apiaries  for 8 years(5000 colonies).  Your time as a beekeeper will be full of excitement and frustration but if  you keep a positive attitude, learn, and adapt you will enjoy it  immensely.  The overhead cost is pretty high per colony to get started and it is definitely a hands on pursuit, meaning you will have to invest time at it!  Fortunately, if you are not pollinating up and down the West Coast like the commercial beekeepers  your time commitment will be somewhat mitigated.   The best advice I can give you is to be attentive to your hive, but not to over manipulate It.   One of the biggest flaws I see with new beekeepers is that they are so enthralled with the hive that they feel the need to dig in the hive every day.  Resist the urge to do this, as unnecessary hive manipulation increases your chances at Killing your queen either by your own handling, or by agitating the hive enough that they ball her up.  Stay on top of mites, make sure your  Queen always has somewhere to lay during build up, and be sure and leave enough honey in the brood nest  or supply supplemental feeding and pollen in the fall/winter and  you will have a fair shot at success. Good luck !

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2016, 10:42:43 AM »
Always good to see forum members enjoying beekeeping!  Ive worked in the industry for 16 years and have been a partner in a couple large apiaries  for 8 years(5000 colonies).  Your time as a beekeeper will be full of excitement and frustration but if  you keep a positive attitude, learn, and adapt you will enjoy it  immensely.  The overhead cost is pretty high per colony to get started and it is definitely a hands on pursuit, meaning you will have to invest time at it!  Fortunately, if you are not pollinating up and down the West Coast like the commercial beekeepers  your time commitment will be somewhat mitigated.   The best advice I can give you is to be attentive to your hive, but not to over manipulate It.   One of the biggest flaws I see with new beekeepers is that they are so enthralled with the hive that they feel the need to dig in the hive every day.  Resist the urge to do this, as unnecessary hive manipulation increases your chances at Killing your queen either by your own handling, or by agitating the hive enough that they ball her up.  Stay on top of mites, make sure your  Queen always has somewhere to lay during build up, and be sure and leave enough honey in the brood nest  or supply supplemental feeding and pollen in the fall/winter and  you will have a fair shot at success. Good luck !
We put the package in last Wednesday and took the queen cage out on Saturday. Since then we haven't touched it. We went into it last night just to have a look and see how things were looking. I was thinking the whole time that these things are probably best left un-messed with as much as possible. Didn't see any mites yet. What treatment do you recommend for treating them when they do show up?

Offline Becky

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2016, 01:25:11 PM »

Thanks for the info :) I don't have allergies myself so I don't know what triggers it for some people, just late night curiosity kicking in haha.

Offline TheHunt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2016, 05:41:06 PM »
I helped a friend get a hive out of his pump house three weeks ago.  It was a lot of fun helping.  The dude that was the master did it all without a bee suit.  My buddy had his suit and I stood back and took pictures and only got close when the bee's were not nervous.
275 down 2

Offline Elliott

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2016, 10:19:56 AM »
I've been interested in beekeeping for a little while now, the only thing holding me back is that every time I get stung I swell up like a balloon :(
“Do not argue with an idiot they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2016, 10:20:52 AM »
I've been interested in beekeeping for a little while now, the only thing holding me back is that every time I get stung I swell up like a balloon :(

That's what bee suits and gloves are for.
:tup:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand