collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: "Juvenile Ram" hunts  (Read 4253 times)

Offline shootnrun

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
"Juvenile Ram" hunts
« on: April 23, 2016, 08:11:38 AM »
I was reading through the regs and saw that for 2016 there is a new hunt for hunters with disabilities for "juvenile ram".

A juvenile ram is defined as a male bighorn sheep having at least one "unbroomed" horn that does not extend past an imaginary line beginning at the point on the animals' forehead where the front of the horn base adjoins the skull, and continuing downwards and in a posterior direction through the posterior edge of the eye. A "broomed" horn is defined as a sheep horn that has been broken, splintered, frayed or rubbed in the wild, thus shortening its length and disrupting its natural taper.

This seems like it can be a little ambiguous, and easily mistaken. I am all for new opportunities and expanding chances and growing the tradition, not to mention greater access for those who struggle getting into rugged areas, but it seems like this could really set someone up for disaster. Especially if you are looking to get the most out of your opportunity, and get the nicest ram withink the legal means. I am unsure I see the benefit to this vs just taking any male out of the herd. Is there further explanation on this, or a science behind it?

Hate to see someone loose hunting opportunity and pay heavy fines for such a strange rule..

Offline wheels

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
Re: "Juvenile Ram" hunts
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 08:27:45 AM »
i think its a litte iffy and restrictive and since im disabled i hope to draw it and if  i do i would try to get the best i could get with in legal parameters kinda seems like set up 

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 08:32:07 AM »
After being on a ram hunt last year I don't think it will be a problem. The sheep give you lots of time to glass them and figure out thier size, for a modern rifle hunter it's almost to easy compared to deer, elk, bear.  :twocents:
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 08:36:20 AM »
You guys can always just put in for the normal ram draws like the rest of us have to do if it's too iffy or complicated. These are extra opportunities for a couple groups, where nothing was taken in return. It's a win/win in my book. :twocents:

Also, I'm sure those who get drawn will be contacted by WDFW and several others offering any help they can be.

Offline Ridgerunner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2016, 09:00:24 AM »
I think the pictures in the book show what is legal v. not legal pretty well.  This isn't a hunt for a broomed ram, rather you are looking for a ram that is <4 years of age, less than half curl that is not broomed. 

Offline andrew_in_idaho

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: RMEF
Re: &quot;Juvenile Ram&quot; hunts
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 03:32:45 PM »
I think the pictures in the book show what is legal v. not legal pretty well.  This isn't a hunt for a broomed ram, rather you are looking for a ram that is <4 years of age, less than half curl that is not broomed.
But why. Seems counterproductive to herd management to be killing immature animals

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 10:34:44 PM »
But why. Seems counterproductive to herd management to be killing immature animals

Are you familiar with the herds where these tags are? Plenty of younger rams available that wouldn't hurt the overall health of the herd. :twocents:

Offline andrew_in_idaho

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 02:39:01 AM »

Are you familiar with the herds where these tags are? Plenty of younger rams available that wouldn't hurt the overall health of the herd. :twocents:
I have no clue what herds these tags are even available for. It seems to me that if you have plenty of younger rams available, allowing them to mature just makes more sense. Why can't the disabled hunters have a real sheep tag I guess is what I am saying instead of limiting them to juvenile rams, it makes no sense in my book

Offline emac

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2016, 07:26:43 AM »
Do these tags fall in the once in a lifetime category also?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Offline popeshawnpaul

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
    • http://www.facebook.com/smccully
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2016, 07:38:31 AM »
So we should turn down the opportunity to manage these young bighorns because were scared we might shoot one too big?  There are about a hundred like this up there.  If you can't find something small enough or want a "big" half curl baby ram then don't apply for the tag.  I applaud them for increasing opportunity and giving sportsmen the resource as there is nowhere to transplant rams like this right now.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal