collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: quail?  (Read 10188 times)

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
Re: quail?
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2016, 09:13:26 PM »
Perhaps im wrong about the permitt. I just figured that since you could get them mallard ducks and or phesant at the farms store it was just like rasing some chickens...
Is there an area where bob whites roam here in wa?
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline NW-GSP

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2016, 09:28:34 PM »
What is the process to get the license to raise game birds

Offline Birdguy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2016, 05:44:57 PM »
Huntingfool7, Tennessee reds are a mutation of the bobwhite, just like the many mutations of the ringneck pheasant, while you may well be able to fool a warden the reason they require the licenses is to prevent spreading diseases. The Tennessee reds will cross with other bobs and will actually cross with valley quail (very funky look cross the bob/valley) so the WDFW will require a license to sell them.

Special T, by the law the stores selling (wild type not ruin) mallard ducks, pheasants, bibs, any game bird are to be licensed, and a game bird receipt is required at time of purchase. I know several stores on the west side were told to stop selling without a permit several years ago. Again, it has been five years or so and rules could have changed but I doubt it as when I got out they just increased all the fees for more $$.

NW-GSP, it used to be a call to the WDFW and they would send out a large packet that I had to fill out and return with a check (around $149). During the hatching season May-July I had to have my operation inspected by the state vet, He would come out from the WSU branch in Puyallup, he would tour the place, inspect my incubating, brooding and grow out facilities. He would take blood samples form a percentage of my birds (giving me my NPIP (national poultry improvement plan)certification) that allowed me or anyone I sold to, to release the birds for any reason be it training or just to have around. The birds have to have NPIP cert to be released.

I know Old dog on here has renewed his license for the last couple years after getting out when I did, so a PM to him would get you the current scoop on what the requirements are today. If you get  into it let me know, I will  help out with whatever I can. I still have all my equipment as I hope to get back into it when the kids are grown or at least out of spring sports, but right now I sits a lot.

Offline Old Dog

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Old Dog
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2016, 10:00:03 PM »
Huntingfool7, Tennessee reds are a mutation of the bobwhite, just like the many mutations of the ringneck pheasant, while you may well be able to fool a warden the reason they require the licenses is to prevent spreading diseases. The Tennessee reds will cross with other bobs and will actually cross with valley quail (very funky look cross the bob/valley) so the WDFW will require a license to sell them.

Special T, by the law the stores selling (wild type not ruin) mallard ducks, pheasants, bibs, any game bird are to be licensed, and a game bird receipt is required at time of purchase. I know several stores on the west side were told to stop selling without a permit several years ago. Again, it has been five years or so and rules could have changed but I doubt it as when I got out they just increased all the fees for more $$.

NW-GSP, it used to be a call to the WDFW and they would send out a large packet that I had to fill out and return with a check (around $149). During the hatching season May-July I had to have my operation inspected by the state vet, He would come out from the WSU branch in Puyallup, he would tour the place, inspect my incubating, brooding and grow out facilities. He would take blood samples form a percentage of my birds (giving me my NPIP (national poultry improvement plan)certification) that allowed me or anyone I sold to, to release the birds for any reason be it training or just to have around. The birds have to have NPIP cert to be released.

I know Old dog on here has renewed his license for the last couple years after getting out when I did, so a PM to him would get you the current scoop on what the requirements are today. If you get  into it let me know, I will  help out with whatever I can. I still have all my equipment as I hope to get back into it when the kids are grown or at least out of spring sports, but right now I sits a lot.

No changes  in the rules.  There is no longer any federal money for the NPIP testing, so you now have to pay a vet for the inspection.  Not cheap!  :bash:   If you want a vet from the WA Dept of Ag they charge from the moment they leave the building in Oly.  Again, not cheap!  The AI testing kit is still free.  :tup:
Hunt hard and shoot straight!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10