collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: How old?  (Read 24883 times)

Offline Maverick

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
How old?
« on: April 24, 2016, 09:19:34 AM »
How old were you and your kids when you did hunter safety? Curious what the apropriate age is. I was 11 when I did it. My nephew was 10 years old.

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
Re: How old?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 09:28:18 AM »
I was 8. I can barely remember it to tell you the truth. I feel like 10 is a good age to do it.
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline Gobble Gobble

• Proud Daddy & Disabled Veteran
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
  • B.O.H.I.C.A.
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 09:36:12 AM »
I would like to put my son through at 10 or 11. It all depends on his maturity and ability to be responsible & trusted with a weapon. He will be 8 in July & is currently grounded till further notice from any kind of shooting or play hunting for his inability to follow safety rules. He frequently gets in trouble for hunting the dogs with this nerf gun and nerf bow. The straw that broke the camels back was he hid in the tulips like it was a ground blind & shot the neighbors service dog in the eye with a nerf gun. He was told not to do it by both me wife & the neighbor. He was lucky the dog was not hurt.

So to answer your question I believe it should be on maturity. My son at this rate will be a teen before he gets to go through it. 
God Bless,
Scott

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 09:40:33 AM »
I would like to put my son through at 10 or 11. It all depends on his maturity and ability to be responsible & trusted with a weapon. He will be 8 in July & is currently grounded till further notice from any kind of shooting or play hunting for his inability to follow safety rules. He frequently gets in trouble for hunting the dogs with this nerf gun and nerf bow. The straw that broke the camels back was he hid in the tulips like it was a ground blind & shot the neighbors service dog in the eye with a nerf gun. He was told not to do it by both me wife & the neighbor. He was lucky the dog was not hurt.

So to answer your question I believe it should be on maturity. My son at this rate will be a teen before he gets to go through it.

I understand the problems here........ However, this is funny as hell.
Sorry you are having to deal with it.  He will learn from it.
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline Maverick

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 09:53:26 AM »
My nephew is currently 7. Not planning on him doing hunter safety this year but I do trust his maturity. I believe his biggest struggle is hes a smaller kid. Hoping he has a growthspurt lol. Hes been out hunting with me since he could walk. My plan is that if he passes hunter safety in say a year I would have him hunting just ducks, Turkey's and maybe coyotes until he got a little older to try deer hunting.

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 09:54:34 AM »
My daughter passed her hunter's safety at age 11.  I sat in on several of the classes and there were quite a few parents that were obviously forcing their kids through the course. a lot of them were 5-9 years old.  There were also a couple of kids in their mid teens that had no business being there.  As said before, it all depends on maturity level of the kid and not the age or desire of the parent. 

Offline splitshot

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2016, 09:56:43 AM »
   I think it was about 1956, I was about 15.  that was the first year that it was required.  started hunting at about 10 and did not need it unless I was illegal.  mike w

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2016, 09:57:14 AM »
I was 8 years old.  My daughter will probably do it next year at 9.

Offline MuleySniper

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2016, 09:57:25 AM »
My son just passed at the beginning of April. He's nine. He was the youngest kid in his class. Did very well, passed his written with a 70 out of 75. Start teaching basic weapons safely as early as possible as that is the major focus. I'll add he has spent a lot of time in the woods with his grandpa and I and that really helps too.
MS
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 10:15:06 AM by MuleySniper »
"Gun control is for wimps and commies. Listen, let's get one thing straight. Guns don't kill people. I do. "
Earl Ramsey

Offline ghosthunter

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2016, 10:09:05 AM »
I have taught Hunter Ed over 25 years. Do t rush them.
Let them be kids. A toy gun is a toy gun. A real gun is a real gun.

Generally if the child is doing well in school. They will be fine in Hunter Ed.
8 years old to 100.

I see folks every year bring their child to class knowing they are not ready,but hoping they might slide through. It's a dis- service to the kid and the kid who was ready but couldn't get a seat because the class was full.

Relax
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline goosegunner

• Hunter
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2016, 11:14:31 AM »
It defenitly comes down to maturity, not what age and all kids are different. I think the tuff part for the younger kids. Is sitting through a 4hr class every night for 4 nights. There's a lot of info to take in. I had twin boys that did it at age 9. One boy was completely fine and the other would check out mentally after a couple hours. He ended up not passing of course. So what I did with him was the online course where we could study and go at his pace. Then still after he passed and had a couple season under his belt I still made him go through the in class course.

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2016, 11:17:42 AM »
9 years old back in '98 or '99.
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Online CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2016, 11:18:56 AM »
I've never been to a hunter's ed class.

My daughter was 21 when she took it.  To me it has to be their idea to hunt and she didn’t express an interest until then.  My other daughters have yet to express interest and I expect they never will.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 11:29:41 AM by CP »

Online Dhoey07

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
    • No Facebook for this guy
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2016, 11:23:14 AM »
I was 12.  Shooting an animal isn't a game,and I won't let my kids take hunter safety and buy a license for them until they understand that.  I doubt that most young kids understand exactly what they are doing or the responsibility that comes with taking an animal.  It's not if they can pass the class, or if they can hike the hills, it's if they should. 

Offline Seahawk12

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2016, 11:27:12 AM »
I never took one. Started hunting back before there was such a thing.
My daughter took it at nine years old. I sat through all the classes with her. She loved it and did very well.
I believe that the question of "when" to put a kid through the course has more to do with the individual childs ability to pay attention and learn and less to do with how old they are. If the kid has a desire to take the class and you are willing to put in the extra time to make sure the kid is absorbing the information then I say to go for it.
"I make up my opinions from facts and reasoning, and not to suit any body but myself. If people don't like my opinions, it makes little difference as I don't solicit their opinions or votes."
William Tecumseh Sherman

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw