collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: How old?  (Read 24885 times)

Offline Thefisherman83

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: How old?
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2016, 11:35:11 AM »
I was 11, only missed 1 on the written test and aced the field course.  This was in 94.
Hunting and Fishing are not matters of life or death... THEY ARE WAY MORE IMPORTANT!!!

"Nothing Makes a fish bigger than almost being caught."

Poles are for skiing, Rods are for fishing!
Team Loomis!

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2016, 11:50:06 AM »
I was 12.  Shooting an animal isn't a game,and I won't let my kids take hunter safety and buy a license for them until they understand that.  I doubt that most young kids understand exactly what they are doing or the responsibility that comes with taking an animal.  It's not if they can pass the class, or if they can hike the hills, it's if they should.

I also did it at 12. And you are correct in making sure the kid knows exactly what is at stake when you hit the woods with a gun and a plan to kill something.

For me, I had been hunting with my Dad a few times, but had never seen an animal killed or been there for the field dressing/butchering. It was all new to me. I shot a nice buck in the first 20 minutes of my first day out. I was about 500 yards from my dad when I jumped him and shot him on the run at about 80 yards. I had to finish him when I got to him.  My very first realization was that that deer was running for his life and I killed him. I did a lot of growing up in that instant. I realized that it was not a game, I owed it to that animal to minimize his pain and suffering. I also realized that I was a predator, and it was what I was meant to do.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline BIGDOG253

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
  • Go COUGS!
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2016, 11:58:33 AM »
I was 11, there were kids younger than me in the class. I aced the field test but barely passed the written with an 80%  :yike:

Offline police women of America

• Women's Board
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2016, 02:39:19 PM »
I did it at 12, but 11/12 is an appropriate age to me. I think a hunter should be old enough to know exactly how the gun works and be able to skin their own animal.
 But I agree with Gobble Gobble, it's also based on maturity. If you know they will be safe alone with a gun and won't shoot at the first thing they see, that's a good maturity level.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 02:45:35 PM by police women of America »
Hi, my name is Josie

Offline steen

• Women's Board
  • Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2016, 08:08:49 PM »
Age isn't a factor. Mostly you should look at desire without pushing, ability to handle a firearm, ability to take tests ( some kids just don't test will at a young age). My kids took it around 11-12 mostly because we had 4 girls within 3 years and we needed to ease into it. Taking them all hunting was a pretty big undertaking, but hugely rewarding. Easing one to two at a time as beginners was the best for us. This year my Grandson will be 10 and is taking it. He surprised me with it just a couple weeks ago and he happened to be at his Mom's the week he went and she took him!!! He didn't have any desire a year ago but I didn't push it. He tested well for his age on hands on. Tomorrow is the written and we'll see. He'd go with me so I'm not worried about it. He can just come along this year also. He loves to camp. So each child is an individual and my Grandson is a prime example of you never know! Good luck.

Offline j_h_nimrod

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2016, 08:33:33 PM »
I think I was 10-11 when I finally had to take the class so I could range farther afield. I had already been running over my buddies hundreds of acres and a few other places where licenses didn't apply, not that there were licenses for coyotes, prairie dogs, magpies, and porcupines that I knew of. I finally figured I better get a hs card and license when I started hitting public land for for rabbits. Couldn't hunt big game until 14 so that was not a problem.

Plan on working with my wife and daughter so she can get hers at ~9 if she is ready.

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2016, 08:41:45 PM »
I was 12 but had been huntn with my dad since I was in 2 grade, my son took it and passed at 8 but I didn't let him hunt deer until he was 10 or 11, my daughter went when she was 12 and I didn't let her deer hunt until she was 14 , huntn came natural to my son it just took my daughter a little longer, they both had to show me they were ready, just because they go through hunters Ed doesn't mean they should be tromping the woods with a gun, make them prove to you that they can handle themselves, it's a pretty big deal the first time they actually drop the hammer on something other than birds..
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Offline wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Old Salt
  • RMEF, DU, NRA, PFE, NWTF
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2016, 08:43:46 PM »
I was 14, got my certificate at Tacoma Sportsman's Club about 1964/5. first tag at 14/5 because of dad's work schedule. Got a spike MD that year near Republic on my first hunt with dad.  I sure wish he could get out with me again but at 90 I don't think so.
"a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi"

Offline jmscon

• Forum Sponsor
  • Sourdough
  • RMEF BHA TRCP
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2016, 09:33:53 PM »
I didn't go through the course until I was 25, that was 2003! My mom's dad was a fairly successful hunter but wasn't hunting anymore by the time I was old enough to get interested. My dad hunted a little bit but quit after him and another guy drew beads on each other!

I have a daughter that's two and one on the way. All I can do is hope that they might be into hunting but I'm not going to force it on them.

Patients is key, don't force them. When they are ready they will let you know.
My interpretation of the rules are open to interpretation.
Once I thought I was wrong but I was mistaken.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2016, 09:48:07 PM »
I think I was 40 and took it at the same time as my daughter who was 8 when the class started and turned 9 during the class.  She did great but we did a bunch of studying leading up to the class.

My youngest daughter took the class at 9 as well and passed with no issues, again we did a bunch of studying in advance of the class to get her familiar with the material.

I now teach hunter education and can say that it all depends on the kid.  Statistics say that the failure rate for kids under 10 is exponentially higher than those kids 10 and older.  Not to say you have to be at least 10 but statistically they have a better chance of passing.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline runamuk

• Explorer
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2016, 10:20:11 PM »
I am old enough I didn't need it, however my son who was hearing impaired and had failed it twice in 2 states needed some support so mama took it with him, he was 11 and when he took it with me he passed  :) the kid wanted to hunt ducks bad.

Offline drakehntr

• Pilgrim
  • Groups: DU
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2016, 01:28:07 PM »
My 9 yr old was begging me for the past year to take hunters safety.  I had it my head to wait til he was 11.  But i thought if he can take the class and show me how responsible he is, i will go with it.  He passed easily summer of 2015 and shot his first buck and several ducks his first season.  Super proud of him.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Offline clindsayrun

• Scout
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2016, 04:27:09 PM »
We have a family tradition of 10 years old. Grandpa started at 10, Dad started at 10, my brothers and I all passed hunters safety and started hunting at 10. My boy will wait until he is 10.

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2016, 05:16:03 PM »
Passed class and got mine in 1964 @ 10.........

Offline The Gobble-stopper

• Scout
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2016, 09:36:06 AM »
I was 12, and I too was a Hunter ED teacher for years. Back then we would discourage parents form bringing any child younger than 10. The maturity level was just not there at that time to put a loaded weapon in a childs hands. And expect him to truly understand the consequences of pulling the trigger. And until recently I was given the chance to make assessments, on the ages we should allow. I feel 10 is the average for maturity, but I have seen 8 year olds that would be fine. And on the other hand I saw adults in there 50's that were more immature than those very same 8 year olds. So go figure. A good upbringing, early learning from responsible adults. And most will do fine. I would recommend no one under 8. And those 8 to 12 year olds should be chosen by there parents or guardians on a case by case decision. And please do not put them through class just to get an extra tag for the parent to use. Each year we hear and see this happen. Only a few, but it is disheartening when you hear a parents say in front of the children, that he is doing it only for him and not the child. Just my two bits.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]