collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: How old?  (Read 24882 times)

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
Re: How old?
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2016, 07:52:26 AM »
I was 12, and I too was a Hunter ED teacher for years. Back then we would discourage parents form bringing any child younger than 10. The maturity level was just not there at that time to put a loaded weapon in a childs hands. And expect him to truly understand the consequences of pulling the trigger. And until recently I was given the chance to make assessments, on the ages we should allow. I feel 10 is the average for maturity, but I have seen 8 year olds that would be fine. And on the other hand I saw adults in there 50's that were more immature than those very same 8 year olds. So go figure. A good upbringing, early learning from responsible adults. And most will do fine. I would recommend no one under 8. And those 8 to 12 year olds should be chosen by there parents or guardians on a case by case decision. And please do not put them through class just to get an extra tag for the parent to use. Each year we hear and see this happen. Only a few, but it is disheartening when you hear a parents say in front of the children, that he is doing it only for him and not the child. Just my two bits.

Wow that is pathetic!

On a positive note, thank you for volunteering so much of your time for the program  :tup:
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline SweetCosmicPope

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2016, 10:21:25 AM »
I took the course when I was 19, but that really doesn't count because I had been hunting since I was 8 and only took it because they changed the law in Texas. lol  My gramps had started teaching me about gun safety long before he ever allowed me to even touch a rifle, however.

My wife and I agreed that my son couldn't even touch a red ryder bb gun until he was 8, which we did after much begging from him, and I used that as an opportunity to give him a jump start on hunter's ed, in the same tradition as my gramps did with me.  I spent the next year teaching him about muzzle control, the safety rules, trigger discipline, etc;  I additionally drilled into him that hunting can be fun, but to realize he's taking another creature's life and to be respectful of that fact and hunt for animals we're going to eat and to do it cleanly.

He turns 9 next week, and he's been begging me to start letting him learn how to shoot a "real gun" and take him hunting, so I finally turned him loose on the hunter's ed course.  He studied, and studied, and studied, and was able to recite his safety rules on the second night.  He wrapped up on Tuesday, and he's still hauling his hunter's ed book and 2016 regs guide everywhere with him and reading them because he's so excited to get out and hunt.

For kids his age, and I'd say I noticed this with several of the other kids in the course as well, I think the toughest part is paying attention for the long classes at night.  My son actually has ADHD, and by the time he gets to class and sits through 3.5 hours, his meds have long-since worn off and he had a VERY difficult time focusing and sitting still.  Fortunately, I sat in on the class with him, and I was able to help him study at home to fill the gaps.

My criticism is that alot of the kids there clearly weren't ready to hunt big game, yet, but their parents were eager to get their special permits apps submitted.  What we're doing is getting my son a smaller .22LR to train on, and start hunting small game like rabbits and stuff, and he can come with me while I hunt deer.  He's anxious to hunt deer and turkeys and bears, and everything, but he's going to have to crawl before he walks.  Hell, I've never even shot a bear. lol

Offline bigjohn98591

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2016, 10:41:37 AM »
I was 7 when I took Hunters ed. I was the youngest in the class, but had the highest score in the class. I had been hunting with dad since I was old enough to walk, and took that time to drill gun safety in to my head just as I do with my girls now. My wife and two middle daughters took the class last summer. this summer I will put my youngest in the class, she just turned 9 in March. I will sit through the class with her. What really pissed me off last year was the day of the final exam parents who were (according to my wife n kids) giving the students the answers so that they will pass the test. I will help my daughter with the question, but the answer is all up to her and I've made it very clear to her.

Offline deadyote

• Scout
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2016, 11:41:53 AM »
I was 17 but my son just did it last year and he was 9.  He was the youngest but did fine.  My 2 cents is DO NOT TAKE THEM TO THE TACOMA SPORTSMANS CLUB!!!  The kids were treated like crap and have heard similar stories from others. 

Offline SweetCosmicPope

• Tracker
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2016, 12:15:49 PM »
That's interesting about Tacoma Sportsmans Club.  Did anyone say anything about shooting there?  They were recommended to me, and I was planning on taking my son there for target practice and sighting in the rifles.  Don't want him treated like he's not welcome, however.

Offline deadyote

• Scout
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2016, 01:40:20 PM »
Shooting there isn't the issue in my mind.  When your shooting your not dealing with people beside the range safety guys who have to be strict because of safety, but after how the instructors in the hunters ed class talked and treated the kids in the class, I'm done there.  I go to Paul Bunyan and the people there are much better, plus it's only a couple minutes away.  My opinion, so take it for what it's worth. 

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2016, 10:04:51 AM »
I haven't been to the class at Tacoma Sportsman Club.  My buddy took his son through and said it was a good class.  His son was 9 at the time.  He did some studying before hand to get ready for the class.

I took my youngest daughter through at Paul Bunyan.  They were great and it actually inspired me to become an instructor myself.  Those guys out there are really passionate about hunting and cover a lot of material for sure.  She got to shoot a rifle, shotgun and bow.  Their walkthrough course is very good.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2016, 10:27:46 AM »
 Hunter Ed graduate class of '71 for me. :tup:

My daughter took the class at 10 at Cabelas, cool place to have a class, then purchased her own license with money she saved. Took that pic on the way out.

My son took his class also at age 10 but at Tacoma Sportsmans Club, I thought they did a great job with the kids. We went from there and headed to Cabelas, he wanted the same picture as his sister. :chuckle: He too had to earn his own money and buy his own license.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline SweetCosmicPope

• Tracker
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2016, 04:50:12 PM »
Yeah, we also went to Cabela's over in Tulalip.

My son loved his instructors too.  I felt like they were very good with the kids.  It was inspiring to me.  Makes me want to volunteer my time once I'm more familiar with the intricacies of hunting in Washington.

Offline silverdalesauer

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sourdough
  • Faith, Family, Hunting, Fishing, and Dogs!
    • https://www.facebook.com/tiebinds
    • The Tie That Binds: Outdoor Ministry
  • Groups: Christian Waterfowlers Association; NRA Life Member; GOA; DU; DW
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2016, 10:31:01 PM »
Hunter Education course in 1987 - I was 15.

My oldest son, now 14, took the course at age 12.

My youngest son is 10 and will probably take it at age 12 too. He's too busy fishing to hunt right now anyway. :)
Sons are a heritage from the LORD, children a reward from him. Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are sons born in one's youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them. They will not be put to shame when they contend with their enemies in the gate. - Psalm 127:3-5

Offline blindluck

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2016, 10:01:08 PM »
I was 9, followed my dad around on whidby island with a youth model single shot 20 gauge with slugs. I remember hoping I didn't see a deer because I was scared to shoot the gun.

Offline HunterofWA

• Scout
    • Aery Drone Photos
  • Groups: Huntersofwashington
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2016, 11:38:49 AM »
I was eight, had some fun, didn't really harvest anything by my self until 11. Still it helped me grow up a bit faster. It's a great way to build character. But the biggest thing is if they can shoot comfortably and if they are good listeners.
...suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character and character produces hope...

YT | @pnw_offgrid

Offline bronczilla

• Tracker
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2016, 09:17:04 AM »
My son passed Hunters Ed last weekend, he is 9 :tup:

Offline bigjohn98591

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2016, 09:45:14 AM »
I was 7 when I took the class (I'm 43 now) my wife and two middle daughters took it last year my daughters were 15 & 14 and my youngest passed this year she is 9. All took the test on their own, I had to help explain a few words on the test to the youngest but she answered the questions on her own. It really pissed me off last year when the others took the test that there were parents giving answers to kids who were taking the test. I told each of my kids and my wife that they were on their own and if they failed it was on them, just as my dad did me. I have been teaching my kids from an early age about gun safety and they have been hunting with me from the time they were little. I have always felt that gun safety should start at home and from a young age.

Offline mulehunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2016, 10:22:25 AM »
My daughter passed Hunting safety course when she just turn 8 years old. Dave was great Instructor in Easton. As long as you think your kids can read good and expect to pass the class then why not take them to class. It doesn't hurt to try at age 7 or up.  :tup:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]