collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Which GPS unit?  (Read 7338 times)

Offline seth30

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • It's time to HUNT!
Which GPS unit?
« on: April 29, 2016, 03:40:36 PM »
Looking to buy a GPS unit for my backcountry hiking and hunting.  Looking at Amazon and other websites it can be a bit overwhelming as their are so many options.  I am trying to find one that has the EGRESS feature so I can call for help if something happens back there.   Thank you for any help in this :tup:
Rather be dead than cool.
Kurt Cobain

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
Re: Which GPS unit?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 04:33:27 PM »
I'm looking to get the garmin rino 650, I'm going to send in my older 530 and they are giving me 20% off for it.  The rino is really nice if your hunting partners have one, they can walk right to you just by using the rino.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline dscubame

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 07:33:51 PM »
I'm looking to get the garmin rino 650, I'm going to send in my older 530 and they are giving me 20% off for it.  The rino is really nice if your hunting partners have one, they can walk right to you just by using the rino.

Two years now and I still have not grown to like the touchscreen on the 650.  Just something to consider, maybe a try for awhile before you buy if you can borrow one.

The touchscreen pins to easy, is difficult to pan without accidentally causing a tap command, panning in general is super frustrating.

two cents...
It's a TIKKA thing..., you may not understand.

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 07:45:43 PM »
Look at GPScity.com or GPSguys.com

I forget which one it is. I buy mine through them.
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 08:10:11 PM »

Two years now and I still have not grown to like the touchscreen on the 650.  Just something to consider, maybe a try for awhile before you buy if you can borrow one.

The touchscreen pins to easy, is difficult to pan without accidentally causing a tap command, panning in general is super frustrating.

two cents...
i don't want the touch screen at all, heard about those problems.  I think the 650 isn't the touch screen, I thought the touch was the 650t? I hope they have a non- touch model. ?

Offline HUNTaHOLIC5

• Scout
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 08:29:49 PM »

two cents...
i don't want the touch screen at all, heard about those problems.  I think the 650 isn't the touch screen, I thought the touch was the 650t? I hope they have a non- touch model. ?
The 650 is a touch screen. The 650t is the same but had the topo maps included. Not sure about the other models.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 08:37:13 PM »

two cents...
The 650 is a touch screen. The 650t is the same but had the topo maps included. Not sure about the other models.
damn, thanks for the info.  That sucks, I didn't want the touch screen. 

Offline seth30

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • It's time to HUNT!
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 03:46:36 PM »
Thank you for all the inputs :tup:    I saw this one on the REI page and seems to be half the price of others I have seen.  Would this be a good option or should I go the more epxensive route with these things?  I have never owned a GPS unit and frankly a lot of the features are confusing to me.

https://www.rei.com/product/869473/garmin-gpsmap-64-gps
Rather be dead than cool.
Kurt Cobain

Offline Buck Rub Jr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 04:51:47 PM »
Thank you for all the inputs :tup:    I saw this one on the REI page and seems to be half the price of others I have seen.  Would this be a good option or should I go the more epxensive route with these things?  I have never owned a GPS unit and frankly a lot of the features are confusing to me.

I'm new with gps' and just got a 64s. Really user friendly, got to use it a little bit for the first time today.
They is where you aint and you aint where they is.

Offline dscubame

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2016, 07:43:34 PM »

Great choice as long as your not a two way radio user.   :tup:
It's a TIKKA thing..., you may not understand.

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 01:14:32 PM »
Got the 650t rino today, which sd card is the best, onXmaps?

Offline turbo

• Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2016, 02:20:02 PM »

TH, I hope you didn't take this trade for 20% off. The 530hxc goes for more than you paid for it on CL and Ebay all day long if you can find them.. The 530hxc is the best unit they have ever made IMO and people want them. I don't like the new ones at all IMO. I know guys that will trade their 650 straight across for your 530.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 02:23:44 PM »

TH, I hope you didn't take this trade for 20% off. The 530hxc goes for more than you paid for it on CL and Ebay all day long.. The 530hxc is the best unit they have ever made IMO and people want them. I don't like the new ones at all IMO.
hmm, I wanted the 530hcx but they don't make them anymore.  I have the 530, no sd card model. 

Offline turbo

• Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2016, 02:27:08 PM »

TH, I hope you didn't take this trade for 20% off. The 530hxc goes for more than you paid for it on CL and Ebay all day long.. The 530hxc is the best unit they have ever made IMO and people want them. I don't like the new ones at all IMO.
hmm, I wanted the 530hcx but they don't make them anymore.  I have the 530, no sd card model.
Oh ok. The Hcx ix the hot one and impossible to find. Garmin really screwed up going with the touch screen. Especially those of us that use them all winter long on sleds.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2016, 02:29:16 PM »

Oh ok. The Hcx ix the hot one and impossible to find. Garmin really screwed up going with the touch screen. Especially those of us that use them all winter long on sleds.
i agree, I feel like I was forced to buy the 650t, hopefully all the bugs are worked out!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal