collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New to ML ?'s/ updated new ?  (Read 7796 times)

Offline Fshnpole

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
Re: New to ML ?'s/ updated new ?
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2016, 04:56:40 PM »
Well I finally got my new ML out yesterday and what fun.  I shot both the 300 gr sst with supplied sabots and the 325 gr ftx with the mmp orange sabot both loaded very well.  The sst loaded extremely easy the ftx after a few shots was a bear to get started but as soon as I did with the short starter the rest of the way was like butter.  I had 100 gr pyrodex behind it and will play around some more maybe up to 120 next time out. Didnt get it totally dialed in but was pretty happy with where I got for the first time out. Not a huge fan of the sights but they could be worse, just seemkinda big at 100 hards they cover a good portion of the target so I sighted them in just below where I wanted to hit. I will for sure be shooting the 325 gr ftx and cant wait to get it back out there.

And to answer the question on the breech plug, yes on the northwest edition the breech plug exposes the musket cap with four holes that are drilled into it. 

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2016, 05:04:41 PM »
Congratulations now you are hooked.

I can't believe sabotloader hasn't chimed in here yet.  He was a great help to me when get my muzzleloader setup for my daughter to use with the multiseason deer tag.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline raydog

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2016, 05:05:48 PM »
Well I finally got my new ML out yesterday and what fun.  I shot both the 300 gr sst with supplied sabots and the 325 gr ftx with the mmp orange sabot both loaded very well.  The sst loaded extremely easy the ftx after a few shots was a bear to get started but as soon as I did with the short starter the rest of the way was like butter.  I had 100 gr pyrodex behind it and will play around some more maybe up to 120 next time out. Didnt get it totally dialed in but was pretty happy with where I got for the first time out. Not a huge fan of the sights but they could be worse, just seemkinda big at 100 hards they cover a good portion of the target so I sighted them in just below where I wanted to hit. I will for sure be shooting the 325 gr ftx and cant wait to get it back out there.

And to answer the question on the breech plug, yes on the northwest edition the breech plug exposes the musket cap with four holes that are drilled into it.

I too dislike the factory sights. This peep sight is worth ever penny in my opinion. https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/optics/scope-rails/cva-ace-in-the-hole-picatinny-rail-peep-sight.html

As far as the front bead goes, I was trying to track down a smaller front sight. The optima front bead is so big it covers a lot of the target. I noticed that the bead on my cva wolf was smaller. I was going to get a front sight for a wolf, but the sights aren't exactly model specific. So I stole the front sight off of the wolf and put it on the optima. Muzzleloaders.com sells the durasight which looks to have the smaller bead. Maybe give them a call and see if they can confirm that for you. https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/optics/sights/durasightr-fiber-optic-sights-cva-rifles.html

Offline Fshnpole

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2016, 05:11:17 PM »
Huh I have an optima elite in 45-70, those sights are burried somewhere.  Maybe I will find the and maybe put that front sight on the ML.

Offline WoolyRunner

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Scout
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2016, 10:33:12 PM »
I, like you, drew the MS Deer tag last year and also tried Muzzy. Well...after hunting with muzzy in the late season whitetail... im hooked. This year im going strait muzzy

Offline syoungs

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2016, 10:36:53 PM »
That rear peep is what I have, I love it. Actually just bought a Williams peep for my 45-70, because I like the ml one so much.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]