collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Ford Ecoboost motors in trucks??????  (Read 30122 times)

Offline LabChamp

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
Re: Ford Ecoboost motors in trucks??????
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2016, 07:25:18 AM »
I have a 2014 3.5l ecoboost with 19k miles and love it. 16 mpg average (highway and city included) and more power than i can use. If im not towing on flat highway i get ariund 21 mpg. If im driving in the city, stop and go more like 15 or 16 mpg. Very quiet, havent had a single problem, and very happy with it. I have nothing negative to say about the eco boost so far and would buy another without hesitation

Offline bwhntr350

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2016, 07:32:07 AM »
I am 51 years old and I am on my fourth vehicle of my life. Started with a 1986 Ford Ranger (187,000 miles). Traded up to a 1995 Ford F-150 (185,000 miles), traded for newer 2002 Ford F-150 with the 5.4 liter Triton V-8 (237,000 miles). No issues on any truck other than the Ranger, 4 water pumps in it's life. My 2002 was superb! Other than oil changes, tires, etc.,  I put less than $2,000 into it. Getting rid of it hurt. 237K and still strong and was not nickle and diming me, by any stretch.

But, I did. I got rid of it in September for a 2015 3.5 liter Ecoboost. I was the most skeptical of all, I think.

I'm now 7 months in and all I can say is "Wow". It tows my boat with such ease. Up Graham hill from a dead stop at 232nd and it's like nothing. Tows better than my 2002 did with the 5.4 V8.  It gets up and goes but I don't think the top end is as nearly amazing. Once you hit about 60 or 70 the amazing part goes away, but still, it's a 3.5 liter.

Mileage? Hmm, Ford lies! I hit around 22 to 23 on the highway, which is good, no problem there. They say city driving is 19 mpg. I'm regularly around 17.5. That is not bad for a full size truck but it is not what Ford claims. towing my boat, which is not heavy, 17' aluminum with a 40 horse. I get just over 19mpg on the highway and 15 to 16, it seems, hard to figure that one, in the city.

Overall, I am super impressed and, absolutely, love the truck. Another guy I know has a 17' Arima. He traded his diesel in for the Ecoboost and says he will never own anything else. He raves about it.

My two cents... I love when people bash Fords. I don't argue one way or another. I just know for beating a truck to death that Ford has never let me down,  no breakdowns in well over 600,000 miles of driving my previous three Fords and, other than tires, brakes, a couple u-joints, they just keep going. Will be curious to see what this 3.5 does..
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 05:26:16 AM by bwhntr350 »

Offline HntnFsh

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2016, 07:45:11 AM »
Save the worries and buy Toyota

As all of our hard earned dollars fly over to another country smh buy american. Just bc they are "built in the usa" (great marketing ploy) doesnt mean your money stays in the USA. Lets help ourselves and the economy out and atleast buy real american made/manufactured vehicles assembled by american owned companies

Where was your Ford built? Where are all the parts from?

Offline yorketransport

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Frontiersman
  • Preferred pronouns: were/was
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2016, 07:54:14 AM »
just seems like a 3.5l engine isn't going to last long if it's pumped up from the factory to make V8 power.

The power comes from a couple turbos. I've got them in my shop with over 100k on them getting the snot beat out of them by construction companies. They seem to be holding up just fine. No comment re:  I-6's.

:yeah: It's amazing what a turbo will do to a relatively small engine. The fuel economy on them is pretty disappointing though. While I haven't spent much time in Fords lately I have spent a lot of time in Chevy vans comparing the smaller 4.8L and 6.0L engines under work conditions. For what you're doing (mostly highway miles) the smaller engine definitely has the power to get whatever you need done. The only time you'd have any complaints is if you did have to haul a load.

Like the others, my '05 Durramax averages about 20 mpg (mine has a 4:10 rearend so that doesn't help) and has all the power I could want. If you're really looking for a highway pickup, it may be worth looking into one of the small diesels in the Ram 1500. You'll likely get better fuel economy and a little extra power if you do need it.

Offline JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2016, 08:18:09 AM »
Never had a problem with the motor they always ran good (F-150) we had several for work but the suspension could not handle what we needed for construction neither could the transmission well I guess the only good part of the fords were the motors we as a company have slowly swapped to Toyota and I tell you for hauling and a ton of miles they are work horses of the truck market I'm waiting for a Toyota diesel to come my way just my  :twocents:

Offline Westside88

• Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2016, 08:33:54 AM »
Small displacement engines with turbos are essentially acting as if they are a larger engine. It takes fuel to make torque/horsepower. When they are making power on par with a 6 liter engine they are going to have similar fuel needs (there's no free lunch) it's when they are moderately or lightly worked that they really shine. I'd love to have a f150 with a 3.5 eco boost, but for me owning a new truck doesn't make financial sense. Those new Tundras are pretty sweet too. To each their own

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2016, 08:36:12 AM »
Does anyone  remember  the  svo  mustangs !  Enough said .......
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline deerhunter_98520

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Old Salt
  • Chief Executive Head Anarchist of YKWTSASFFRO
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2016, 08:41:19 AM »

:yeah:

You would be happier driving it that letting it sit in the shop
...Toyota all the way :tup:
Official hunt-wa bigfoot field researcher!

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2016, 12:57:47 PM »
I bought the 5.0 in my F150 4 door, 4x4 and am getting 18mpg. I have buddies who have the ecoboost and while there is nothing wrong with them, I couldn't see spending an extra 4k (ecoboost upgrade) to get worse mileage.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2016, 04:20:05 PM »

:yeah:

You would be happier driving it that letting it sit in the shop
...Toyota all the way :tup:

Please expand. What problems are the new ecoboost F150's having? This is a test.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2016, 04:21:27 PM »
people I know that have them say it has enough power but only gets like 14 mpg.
Carl

Never.  Mine will get ~22 on the hwy to Portland @ 60 mph, gets ~ 16 day to day

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2016, 04:23:33 PM »
just seems like a 3.5l engine isn't going to last long if it's pumped up from the factory to make V8 power.

wish they'd dump the V6 and go back to an inline.  chevy came to their senses and started making I6 engines again.
The power comes from a couple turbos. I've got them in my shop with over 100k on them getting the snot beat out of them by construction companies. They seem to be holding up just fine. No comment re:  I-6's.

100,000 trouble free miles here w/just regular maintenance

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2016, 04:28:18 PM »
Tows our toy hauler over the passes w/Polaris Ranger inside like a demon.  Probably just as well as, or better than, the 5.4 2003 we replaced with it.  Ours is a 2011 and I had a coil go out, but nothing else.   These things are crossbolted six-bolt main engines and are tough little buggers.   
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 04:47:29 PM by JDHasty »

Offline 2labs

• Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2016, 04:34:42 PM »
And if we just had a little diesel? That doesn't have the EPA around its throat?
Dino was robbed
Habitual Rock Poacher
Do these "attack" pants make my ass look big?

Offline dscubame

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2016, 07:50:16 PM »
I would damn near buy you one Dan 0 if that would get you to finally change your avatar pic.
It's a TIKKA thing..., you may not understand.

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal