collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Ford Ecoboost motors in trucks??????  (Read 30114 times)

Offline Mossy

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
Re: Ford Ecoboost motors in trucks??????
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2016, 12:13:03 PM »
I have a 2013 Eco that I purchased a year ago with 25k. Just hit 30k with no problems although that's not saying much with how little I drive. I average 16-17 in town and 24mpg on 60mph highway trips. The 34 gallon tank is nice to have. It was hard to get used to how quiet it is although it has grown on me. The newer ones are lighter but I don't care for the looks.

Offline floatinghat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2016, 01:13:20 PM »

I looked at getting a new pickup and waffled between a few models.  Each company has strengths and challenges, I would target model/brand specific forums and make your decision from that information.  Remember that like this site a huge percentage come only to bitch about something.  My driver is and toyota landcruiser,  I maintain it and it runs great, I6 250K miles, burns no oil, eats lots of fuel, and will leave about any stock truck behind in the woods. 

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2016, 01:17:16 PM »
They tow great. Better than a V8. They're trouble free. They get the same gas mileage as a V8.  They run very smooth and very quietly. Don't buy a 2011 or early 2012. I'm surrounded by them every day of my life.

Jack, would you elaborate on what kind of issues the 2011 & 2012 have vs. the 2013 & 2014 & 2015 & 2016 for that matter?   I am familiar with the transmission recall, but I am curious if there are other consistent trends out there that just haven't developed in the 2013 & 2014, etc.
Biggest issues they had were driveability issues related to the intercooler.  It causes a shudder/misfire type feeling. It's been updated and the issue seems to be resolved as of maybe late 2012/early 2013? I can't recall exactly when.

I would only buy a service contract from the manufacturer. IE... if it's a Ford, buy a Ford ESP.  It will be the most straight forward to deal with from both sides(the customer's side and the shop's side).

My Extended Service Contract is from National Auto Care Corporation.  I purchased it through Kelleher in eBurg where we purchased our truck.  I have Titus Will in Tacoma service my vehicle and they are impressed with the ease of working w/these guys.  When he calls, they give the OK to proceed.   I had issues w/the seat heater and they replaced the heater and then when that did not solve the issue they paid for a new seat cushion and installation.  Paid for other minor issues as well. 

I bought based on Kelleher's recommendation, they have been very good to deal with.  We tried to shop for a pickup on the west side, but that didn't go very far.     

I deal with service contracts all day every day. Some are good, some stink. None have ever been easier, more straight forward or more user friendly than from the manufacturers. The little piddly stuff is easy for all of them. It's when you get into the bigger stuff where the good ones shine and the mediocre ones crap out. Things like, hypothetically your water pump leaks and the service contract will pay for the water pump but they won't pay for the coolant

My service adviser has never seen one pay for a replacement seat cushion.  This is the second one of these contracts I have had from them and they have been good.  I have had the same service adviser for fifteen years and he is impressed w/them too.  I agree though the factory contract is better in almost every way, almost double the money though. 

In a round-about sort of way, the seat cushion is the element. They call it a thermal electric device(TED). That's why it's covered. It wouldn't shock me if the dealership ate the first repair once they realized the tech mis-diagnosed it. I'm not saying for sure that's what happened, but I'd be willing to bet I'm not too far off.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2016, 02:11:45 PM »
And if we just had a little diesel? That doesn't have the EPA around its throat?
My folks have an 03 mini whi. Ie with the Mercedes I li e 5 with a. Automatic tra ny. They get 18mpgto AZ and back a d got 14 towi g their PTCruizer.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Grit dog

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2016, 09:41:19 PM »
And if we just had a little diesel? That doesn't have the EPA around its throat?
My folks have an 03 mini whi. Ie with the Mercedes I li e 5 with a. Automatic tra ny. They get 18mpgto AZ and back a d got 14 towi g their PTCruizer.

^ lol!

Offline Taco280AI

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2016, 10:06:02 PM »
I'm amazed at the sticker prices of full sized trucks now. Nicely, but not fully, equipped is $50k. Fully loaded 1/2 tons are $60k!

Sold Dodges for a while ten years ago and loaded was in the high $30s. We had a 2500 mega cab diesel, every option, wheel and tire package,  lifted...everything... that went for $55k with all that markup.

Got a smokin deal on my 15 Tacoma last year at $29,700 from $35,300 but even the new 3.5 liter Tacos are going for $39k.

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2016, 10:39:37 PM »
I would damn near buy you one Dan 0 if that would get you to finally change your avatar pic.

I'll take it!!!!

Do you know a good insurance agent?
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2016, 05:34:31 AM »
I'm amazed at the sticker prices of full sized trucks now. Nicely, but not fully, equipped is $50k. Fully loaded 1/2 tons are $60k!

Sold Dodges for a while ten years ago and loaded was in the high $30s. We had a 2500 mega cab diesel, every option, wheel and tire package,  lifted...everything... that went for $55k with all that markup.

Got a smokin deal on my 15 Tacoma last year at $29,700 from $35,300 but even the new 3.5 liter Tacos are going for $39k.

No kidding.  We use F150 4x4 Lariat SCREWs w/max tow pkg, don't want painted bumpers like on KRs, and they are spendy.  I try to make our trucks last but the last couple have been wiped out by idiots w/no insurance, no license.   
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 02:01:26 PM by JDHasty »

Offline Fishoutdoors2016

• Hunter
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2016, 01:54:34 PM »
Those eco boosts are bad to the bone.  Great engines!!!

Offline jaymark6655

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2016, 05:16:58 AM »
A co-worker has had two in the past two years.  The first was the first year the eco-boost was in the truck and it never ran right, he didn't want to mess with it and sold it.  Thinking that Ford had work all the problems out he bought another, newer model (2015).  It misfires every cold start, took it into Ford and was told that all spark plugs and coil packs were bad on one side, they "fixed it".  Next morning, same problem.  Started doing research and Ford thought that the intercooler was making the intake air "too cold" and their solution was to block off parts of the intercooler.  :o :dunno:  Personally, I think that is the dumbest thing I have heard off.  If you hang around racing any you will see turbo car icing down their air intakes to get the intake air colder.  Ford has since come back and started pulling all the intercooler shields off.  Really what I think it is, Ford has a turbo motor with no catch can.  My turbo car had a catch can from the factory.  With the turbo motor, there is a lot higher cylinder pressure, causing more blow by gasses.  Without the catch can a whole lot of crap is getting pushed into the intake and is blowing out the spark or in some really bad cases, locking up the motor.  This truck has now been returned to the dealership three or four times.  He has had to call the regional manager and they are having him take it to a different dealership.  The other dealership has refused to even look at the truck.  His own research tells him if he adds a catch can, the problem will be solved.  However, doing so will void his warranty.  Right now he is just trying to dump the thing and buy a Tundra.
"That's the reason we pay $25 for a recoil lug made by a professional instead of one for $0.50 made by Micheal J Fox using a dremel!"

"Women should be treated the same as a French Rifle, dropped at the first sign of trouble."

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2016, 05:37:03 AM »
A co-worker has had two in the past two years.  The first was the first year the eco-boost was in the truck and it never ran right, he didn't want to mess with it and sold it.  Thinking that Ford had work all the problems out he bought another, newer model (2015).  It misfires every cold start, took it into Ford and was told that all spark plugs and coil packs were bad on one side, they "fixed it".  Next morning, same problem.  Started doing research and Ford thought that the intercooler was making the intake air "too cold" and their solution was to block off parts of the intercooler.  :o :dunno:  Personally, I think that is the dumbest thing I have heard off.  If you hang around racing any you will see turbo car icing down their air intakes to get the intake air colder.  Ford has since come back and started pulling all the intercooler shields off.  Really what I think it is, Ford has a turbo motor with no catch can.  My turbo car had a catch can from the factory.  With the turbo motor, there is a lot higher cylinder pressure, causing more blow by gasses.  Without the catch can a whole lot of crap is getting pushed into the intake and is blowing out the spark or in some really bad cases, locking up the motor.  This truck has now been returned to the dealership three or four times.  He has had to call the regional manager and they are having him take it to a different dealership.  The other dealership has refused to even look at the truck.  His own research tells him if he adds a catch can, the problem will be solved.  However, doing so will void his warranty.  Right now he is just trying to dump the thing and buy a Tundra.

"His own research tells him..."  That to me is clue # 1 to what seems to be going on here. 

I have met people who you could place in a padded room with two bowling balls and tell them to keep their mitts off the two bowling balls... then leave and come back an hour later and one ball would be lost and the other one would be broken.  Some people just have a certain knack for screwing things up.

My cousin had her vehicle, which was under warranty, parked at an undisclosed location (locked in my mother's garage) when she and my mother visited relatives in Ireland, which I thought was rather strange, until my mother reminded her of my cousin's shadetree jack-wagon husband the know-it-all. 

After marrying this clown this cousin has owned new vehicles that she gets rid of as soon as the factory warranty is getting close to expiring.  Her husband is strictly forbidden to touch them w/a tool.  Her previous vehicle to the one left for a month at the undisclosed location never had a problem and she loved the car, despite the fact that her husband "noticed some little issue,"  yea right, roll eyes, every time he sat in the car.  He is and has been under strict orders to never touch her vehicle with a tool of any sort, however when she was on a trip to California Sir Brilliance took it upon himself to "fix" her vehicle.  Needless to say, when she got home the car had real, not imaginary, issues. 

I know a dozen people who own 3.5 EcoBoost F150s and not a single one has had any major issue with it.     
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 08:53:03 AM by JDHasty »

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2016, 08:59:15 AM »

"His own research tells him..."  That to me is clue # 1 to what seems to be going on here. 

I have met people who you could place in a padded room with two bowling balls and tell them to keep their mitts off the two bowling balls... then leave and come back an hour later and one ball would be lost and the other one would be broken.  Some people just have a certain knack for screwing things up.

My cousin had her vehicle, which was under warranty, parked at an undisclosed location (locked in my mother's garage) when she and my mother visited relatives in Ireland, which I thought was rather strange, until my mother reminded her of my cousin's shadetree jack-wagon husband the know-it-all. 

After marrying this clown this cousin has owned new vehicles that she gets rid of as soon as the factory warranty is getting close to expiring.  Her husband is strictly forbidden to touch them w/a tool.  Her previous vehicle to the one left for a month at the undisclosed location never had a problem and she loved the car, despite the fact that her husband "noticed some little issue,"  yea right, roll eyes, every time he sat in the car.  He is and has been under strict orders to never touch her vehicle with a tool of any sort, however when she was on a trip to California Sir Brilliance took it upon himself to "fix" her vehicle.  Needless to say, when she got home the car had real, not imaginary, issues. 

I know a dozen people who own 3.5 EcoBoost F150s and not a single one has had any major issue with it.     

There were major issues with 3.5L Ecoboost F150's. For sure. I work for Ford. It's a real thing.
Just want to put that out there.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2016, 09:17:18 AM »
Is it a misfire or is it a noise your buddy is experiencing?
TSB 16-0027 addresses a noise that is a known issue. It is a new TSB and applies to 3.5GTDI built before 5/29/15. Relates to replacing VCT phasers on both banks and timing chain. If your buddy is anywhere near me, send me a pm. I'm happy to have my team look at his truck.

The TSB 14-0017 regarding removing the air deflectors in the intercooler is on 2013-2014's. There's also a step in this TSB where you may or may not have to replace the left bank cat converter.

Offline elkinrutdrivemenuts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2016, 09:24:26 AM »

There were major issues with 3.5L Ecoboost F150's. For sure. I work for Ford. It's a real thing.
Just want to put that out there.

Plus 1 on issues.  The 2011-2012 had a few.  Mine has the hard shift issue and from what I heard there was a reflash issued to solve that problem.  However, the dealership tells me there isn't one for my 2012 yet?!  I have the same shifting problems as other 2011 and 2012s, so whats going on?  Is there a way I can verify on my own that there is or isn't a reflash issued for my truck, or do I need to trust the dealership?

Offline Taco280AI

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2016, 09:46:24 AM »
Guy in my company bought the 3.5 after returning from Germany last summer. Brand new. Forgot what the issue was, but within a few months of problems the dealership bought it back.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]