collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Ford Ecoboost motors in trucks??????  (Read 30115 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: Ford Ecoboost motors in trucks??????
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2016, 10:05:51 AM »
A co-worker has had two in the past two years.  The first was the first year the eco-boost was in the truck and it never ran right, he didn't want to mess with it and sold it.  Thinking that Ford had work all the problems out he bought another, newer model (2015).  It misfires every cold start, took it into Ford and was told that all spark plugs and coil packs were bad on one side, they "fixed it".  Next morning, same problem.  Started doing research and Ford thought that the intercooler was making the intake air "too cold" and their solution was to block off parts of the intercooler.  :o :dunno:  Personally, I think that is the dumbest thing I have heard off.  If you hang around racing any you will see turbo car icing down their air intakes to get the intake air colder.  Ford has since come back and started pulling all the intercooler shields off.  Really what I think it is, Ford has a turbo motor with no catch can.  My turbo car had a catch can from the factory.  With the turbo motor, there is a lot higher cylinder pressure, causing more blow by gasses.  Without the catch can a whole lot of crap is getting pushed into the intake and is blowing out the spark or in some really bad cases, locking up the motor.  This truck has now been returned to the dealership three or four times.  He has had to call the regional manager and they are having him take it to a different dealership.  The other dealership has refused to even look at the truck.  His own research tells him if he adds a catch can, the problem will be solved.  However, doing so will void his warranty.  Right now he is just trying to dump the thing and buy a Tundra.

"His own research tells him..."  That to me is clue # 1 to what seems to be going on here. 

I have met people who you could place in a padded room with two bowling balls and tell them to keep their mitts off the two bowling balls... then leave and come back an hour later and one ball would be lost and the other one would be broken.  Some people just have a certain knack for screwing things up.

My cousin had her vehicle, which was under warranty, parked at an undisclosed location (locked in my mother's garage) when she and my mother visited relatives in Ireland, which I thought was rather strange, until my mother reminded her of my cousin's shadetree jack-wagon husband the know-it-all. 

After marrying this clown this cousin has owned new vehicles that she gets rid of as soon as the factory warranty is getting close to expiring.  Her husband is strictly forbidden to touch them w/a tool.  Her previous vehicle to the one left for a month at the undisclosed location never had a problem and she loved the car, despite the fact that her husband "noticed some little issue,"  yea right, roll eyes, every time he sat in the car.  He is and has been under strict orders to never touch her vehicle with a tool of any sort, however when she was on a trip to California Sir Brilliance took it upon himself to "fix" her vehicle.  Needless to say, when she got home the car had real, not imaginary, issues. 

I know a dozen people who own 3.5 EcoBoost F150s and not a single one has had any major issue with it.     

There were major issues with 3.5L Ecoboost F150's. For sure. I work for Ford. It's a real thing.
Just want to put that out there.

Plus 1 on issues.  The 2011-2012 had a few.  Mine has the hard shift issue and from what I heard there was a reflash issued to solve that problem.  However, the dealership tells me there isn't one for my 2012 yet?!  I have the same shifting problems as other 2011 and 2012s, so whats going on?  Is there a way I can verify on my own that there is or isn't a reflash issued for my truck, or do I need to trust the dealership?

Send me a pm with your VIN #.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2016, 10:06:43 AM »
Guy in my company bought the 3.5 after returning from Germany last summer. Brand new. Forgot what the issue was, but within a few months of problems the dealership bought it back.

Ford bought it back. Dealerships don't do buybacks. Not that it matters that much I guess. Buybacks happen all the time with everything.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline jaymark6655

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2016, 10:08:20 AM »
A co-worker has had two in the past two years.  The first was the first year the eco-boost was in the truck and it never ran right, he didn't want to mess with it and sold it.  Thinking that Ford had work all the problems out he bought another, newer model (2015).  It misfires every cold start, took it into Ford and was told that all spark plugs and coil packs were bad on one side, they "fixed it".  Next morning, same problem.  Started doing research and Ford thought that the intercooler was making the intake air "too cold" and their solution was to block off parts of the intercooler.  :o :dunno:  Personally, I think that is the dumbest thing I have heard off.  If you hang around racing any you will see turbo car icing down their air intakes to get the intake air colder.  Ford has since come back and started pulling all the intercooler shields off.  Really what I think it is, Ford has a turbo motor with no catch can.  My turbo car had a catch can from the factory.  With the turbo motor, there is a lot higher cylinder pressure, causing more blow by gasses.  Without the catch can a whole lot of crap is getting pushed into the intake and is blowing out the spark or in some really bad cases, locking up the motor.  This truck has now been returned to the dealership three or four times.  He has had to call the regional manager and they are having him take it to a different dealership.  The other dealership has refused to even look at the truck.  His own research tells him if he adds a catch can, the problem will be solved.  However, doing so will void his warranty.  Right now he is just trying to dump the thing and buy a Tundra.
Is it a misfire or is it a noise your buddy is experiencing?
TSB 16-0027 addresses a noise that is a known issue. It is a new TSB and applies to 3.5GTDI built before 5/29/15. Relates to replacing VCT phasers on both banks and timing chain. If your buddy is anywhere near me, send me a pm. I'm happy to have my team look at his truck.

The TSB 14-0017 regarding removing the air deflectors in the intercooler is on 2013-2014's. There's also a step in this TSB where you may or may not have to replace the left bank cat converter.
Definitely a misfire during warm up, even happens on warm 85 degree days.  I was standing outside his truck waiting for the cab to cool down before climbing in when several people including myself heard it.  That was after the coil packs and spark plugs had been replaced due to one whole side of the engine not firing.
"That's the reason we pay $25 for a recoil lug made by a professional instead of one for $0.50 made by Micheal J Fox using a dremel!"

"Women should be treated the same as a French Rifle, dropped at the first sign of trouble."

Offline jaymark6655

• Sourdough
« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2016, 10:24:15 AM »

"His own research tells him..."  That to me is clue # 1 to what seems to be going on here. 

I have met people who you could place in a padded room with two bowling balls and tell them to keep their mitts off the two bowling balls... then leave and come back an hour later and one ball would be lost and the other one would be broken.  Some people just have a certain knack for screwing things up.

My cousin had her vehicle, which was under warranty, parked at an undisclosed location (locked in my mother's garage) when she and my mother visited relatives in Ireland, which I thought was rather strange, until my mother reminded her of my cousin's shadetree jack-wagon husband the know-it-all. 

After marrying this clown this cousin has owned new vehicles that she gets rid of as soon as the factory warranty is getting close to expiring.  Her husband is strictly forbidden to touch them w/a tool.  Her previous vehicle to the one left for a month at the undisclosed location never had a problem and she loved the car, despite the fact that her husband "noticed some little issue,"  yea right, roll eyes, every time he sat in the car.  He is and has been under strict orders to never touch her vehicle with a tool of any sort, however when she was on a trip to California Sir Brilliance took it upon himself to "fix" her vehicle.  Needless to say, when she got home the car had real, not imaginary, issues. 

I know a dozen people who own 3.5 EcoBoost F150s and not a single one has had any major issue with it.   

He had a problem, took it to the dealership.  They replaced coil packs and spark plugs, he had same misfire in warm up the very next day.  He took it back to them, they said something else was screwed up.  Got the truck back still had the same problem.  Took it back a third time and was told about the catch can by one of the guys working at the dealership.  They took his car to work on it, called him said they had to replace the spark plugs and coil packs again (at his cost of course).  About 15 minutes later he gets a call from the manager telling him there is nothing wrong with his truck, they didn't do anything, come pick it up.  Of course he picks it up and it still is misfiring, so he starts researching online and asking questions.  He is not anything like what you assume him to be.  He wants the problem fixed because he doesn't want to buy another truck, but he also isn't doing anything because his truck is under warranty and he doesn't want to void that warranty.  Right now he has called the regional manager, she told him to take it to another dealership.  This other dealership does not want to work on it because the first dealership touched it.  The first keeps telling him there is no problem or replacing parts that are breaking due to the problem not fixing the problem.  All I know is he is about to take them to court.  So dealerships might not buy trucks back, but I would be shocked if they don't end up with the truck and he ends up with his money being returned.

As for the dozen people; thousands of people drive this truck and don't see any issue with it, but most people these days don't have a clue.
"That's the reason we pay $25 for a recoil lug made by a professional instead of one for $0.50 made by Micheal J Fox using a dremel!"

"Women should be treated the same as a French Rifle, dropped at the first sign of trouble."

Offline jaymark6655

• Sourdough
« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2016, 10:39:53 AM »
TSB 16-0027 addresses a noise that is a known issue. It is a new TSB and applies to 3.5GTDI built before 5/29/15. Relates to replacing VCT phasers on both banks and timing chain. If your buddy is anywhere near me, send me a pm. I'm happy to have my team look at his truck.

The TSB 14-0017 regarding removing the air deflectors in the intercooler is on 2013-2014's. There's also a step in this TSB where you may or may not have to replace the left bank cat converter.

Thanks for the offer unfortunately he lives in Indiana.  We are familiar with the TSBs and supposedly the first dealership he took the truck to covered these, but I am starting to think they might be lying.  They also are trying to tell the regional manager they have only worked on his truck one time, he has receipts proving otherwise.

Same place is also a Nissan dealership.  I took a Quest in there for a Nissan TB dealing with  the ECU.  The check engine light came on and 4 to 6 sensors codes were being read.  According to TB, this was due to a computer number and it just needed to be reprogrammed which would also change the part number for the computer.  When I went in they tried to tell me that the TB only applied to the Altima, I told them both were covered under the same TB.  They tried to look it up and said they weren't.  I had to go find it myself and print it out.  When I showed it to them, they said, "Oh! We'll fix that come pick it up in an hour, it will be $100."  Came to pick van up and check engine light was still on.  I thought it was strange that they didn't reset with reprogram.  I am in the process taking it to another dealership to confirm whether TB was performed or not.  I believe it was not done since they also didn't set up the TPS to recognize the new valve stems that needed to be replaced (tire shop didn't have programmer to handle the task).

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2016, 10:45:49 AM »

Thanks for the offer unfortunately he lives in Indiana.  We are familiar with the TSBs and supposedly the first dealership he took the truck to covered these, but I am starting to think they might be lying.  They also are trying to tell the regional manager they have only worked on his truck one time, he has receipts proving otherwise.

Same place is also a Nissan dealership.  I took a Quest in there for a Nissan TB dealing with  the ECU.  The check engine light came on and 4 to 6 sensors codes were being read.  According to TB, this was due to a computer number and it just needed to be reprogrammed which would also change the part number for the computer.  When I went in they tried to tell me that the TB only applied to the Altima, I told them both were covered under the same TB.  They tried to look it up and said they weren't.  I had to go find it myself and print it out.  When I showed it to them, they said, "Oh! We'll fix that come pick it up in an hour, it will be $100."  Came to pick van up and check engine light was still on.  I thought it was strange that they didn't reset with reprogram.  I am in the process taking it to another dealership to confirm whether TB was performed or not.  I believe it was not done since they also didn't set up the TPS to recognize the new valve stems that needed to be replaced (tire shop didn't have programmer to handle the task).

If you send me the VIN, I can tell you all the warranty work they have claimed. That will tell us exactly what they did.
The VCT phaser thing wasn't released till Feb 2016 so if it was before that that he was in the shop, they didn't do it.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #66 on: May 04, 2016, 10:54:18 AM »

He had a problem, took it to the dealership.  They replaced coil packs and spark plugs, he had same misfire in warm up the very next day.  He took it back to them, they said something else was screwed up.  Got the truck back still had the same problem.  Took it back a third time and was told about the catch can by one of the guys working at the dealership.  They took his car to work on it, called him said they had to replace the spark plugs and coil packs again (at his cost of course).  About 15 minutes later he gets a call from the manager telling him there is nothing wrong with his truck, they didn't do anything, come pick it up.  Of course he picks it up and it still is misfiring, so he starts researching online and asking questions.  He is not anything like what you assume him to be.  He wants the problem fixed because he doesn't want to buy another truck, but he also isn't doing anything because his truck is under warranty and he doesn't want to void that warranty.  Right now he has called the regional manager, she told him to take it to another dealership.  This other dealership does not want to work on it because the first dealership touched it.  The first keeps telling him there is no problem or replacing parts that are breaking due to the problem not fixing the problem.  All I know is he is about to take them to court.  So dealerships might not buy trucks back, but I would be shocked if they don't end up with the truck and he ends up with his money being returned.

As for the dozen people; thousands of people drive this truck and don't see any issue with it, but most people these days don't have a clue.

There are huge red flags here. Why did he pay for spark plugs and coils if the truck is under warranty?
We have another local dealer we end up with problem children from. They are usually referred to us by our customer assistance center. The CAC doesn't tell the customer to take the truck there until it is arranged ahead of time by the CAC.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 11:13:21 AM by jackelope »

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2016, 11:21:29 AM »
Shoot dang...
I just tried to check warranty history on a truck and got shot down. I'm happy to check once it comes back online. Looks like it's down for periodic maintenance.

Warranty History Notice!
Warranty history is currently unavailable for scheduled shutdown. It is scheduled to come back online on 5/5/2016 at 8:00 AM

Offline jaymark6655

• Sourdough
« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2016, 12:00:14 PM »
Cool, I will try to get the VIN tomorrow.  I could never figure out why they made him pay for spark plugs with the warranty, I don't think they made him pay for the coil packs.

Its really sad because other than the problems he is having he loved the truck, even convinced three other people to buy one.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2016, 01:17:09 PM »
Cool, I will try to get the VIN tomorrow.  I could never figure out why they made him pay for spark plugs with the warranty, I don't think they made him pay for the coil packs.

Its really sad because other than the problems he is having he loved the truck, even convinced three other people to buy one.

I could get it fixed for him if he were here.
Sorry for his trouble.
Sidenote....
This is weird...spark plugs, if they fail, are covered by the 8/80 federal emissions warranty.

Offline yorketransport

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Frontiersman
  • Preferred pronouns: were/was
« Reply #70 on: May 05, 2016, 07:49:41 PM »
Jackelope, have you thought about just starting up a Ford troubleshooting blog? You rattle off real answers (not excuses) quicker than anyone I've heard! I wish I had a Ford just so I could play 20 questions with you.:chuckle:

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #71 on: May 05, 2016, 09:54:25 PM »
Jackelope, have you thought about just starting up a Ford troubleshooting blog? You rattle off real answers (not excuses) quicker than anyone I've heard! I wish I had a Ford just so I could play 20 questions with you.:chuckle:

Thanks for the compliments but the last thing on earth I want to do is spend more time talking about cars. I'm an amateur compared to the actual technicians on here. I know policy and procedures when it comes to manufacturer stuff I guess more than anything else. I'm not at all a technician.

Offline Mxracer532

• Longhunter
« Reply #72 on: May 06, 2016, 12:36:35 AM »
Don't know about the Ecoboosts, my dad and a brother have had a few 5.4s and other then the spark plugs blowing out of the head and loosing coil packs and misfiring issues they haven't been terrible. I myself am a Toyota fan, owned a 97 3.4l Tacoma and only had to replace a starter, 03 Tundra 4.7l never an issue, now own a 08 Tundra 5.7, only has 39k on it but never had an issue truck has some serious get up. I only tow with it and we just bought a new 2016 Creekside that weighs in at 6200lbs dry and it tows it pretty dang good but I am on the search for a Duramax since my truck only moves when im towing or going hunting. Only issue I really have with towing is 7.4mpg. OUCH!
Avid ARCHERY deer and elk hunter.
Coyote killer in the off season.
MX Racer simi retired to practice when I can.

Offline luckyman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #73 on: May 06, 2016, 05:46:29 AM »
I think the 3.5 has a 10 speed transmission. you should get Good mileage and good power.
If there anything like the 2.0 Ecoboost you can have one but not the other. It fly's when you get on it but really drinks the fuel. Gets great mileage if you drive it easy.
These new transmissions kind of scare me. If it goes out $$
I'm not sure.

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #74 on: May 06, 2016, 10:19:50 AM »
Don't know about the Ecoboosts, my dad and a brother have had a few 5.4s and other then the spark plugs blowing out of the head and loosing coil packs and misfiring issues they haven't been terrible.

Thought this part was pretty funny!

I guess having Fords give "terrible" a new meaning, LOL

Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 08:16:45 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg