collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Rimrock area jeep/atv/utv trails?  (Read 17804 times)

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
Rimrock area jeep/atv/utv trails?
« on: May 01, 2016, 01:09:01 PM »
We are thinking of camping by Rimrock lake this summer and doing some trail wheeling as well.  A boat to fish/play and a few utv's to trail.  I went up there this weekend to explore and get to know area but I am confused on trails and how to access as well as where they begin?  I read the lost lake Louie way trail is access to greater Rimrock divide system. I assume you can access from this side and not have to hit state forest side?  Right?  Well as stated the 1000 1040 are washed out and the snow is still blocking some roads up high so I failed..  Pretty up there granted and our tent was iced over in the morning!  Brrr.  Can anyone with wheeling exp. help with these questions??
MAGA!  Again..

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
Re: Rimrock area jeep/atv/utv trails?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 07:37:09 PM »
Anybody? :fishin:
MAGA!  Again..

Offline Elkrunner

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 07:23:24 AM »
Talk to Gasman, he may be able to assist you. 

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 07:29:39 AM »
Have you picked up a green trails map. Everything you need is on it. The Rimrock one is pretty accurate.

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 09:47:59 AM »
Thanks, no I didn't.  Forgot again.  I did try Gasman but no response yet,,
MAGA!  Again..

Offline Naches Sportsman

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 09:50:26 AM »
Have a Yakima County Sheriff's Office map? 

Those are way better to read than the $5 outdated forest circus map.

Offline huntandjeep

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 04:46:00 PM »
Agree on the Sheriff Dept. Map , and FYI Rimrock trails are no joke. When they get wet  some are down right stupid scary.
Anyone that thinks a Glock is better than a 1911 paints his toenails.
Yakima Valley Mountaineers

Offline Buzz2401

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 04:56:40 PM »
I think the trails are closed till June 15th for protection of habitat.  Just about any road that goes towards divide ridge will have a trail at or near the end of it. As Huntand Jeep said the trails are almost all difficult to extermely difficult. Lots of super steep off camber stuff.  Wear your safety gear, people die on those trails(not an exageration).  If your experienced then go for it but don't be afraid to turnaround.  For me I think the trails on the Cowiche side are much more fun for summer riding

Offline huntandjeep

• Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 05:30:38 PM »
I think the trails are closed till June 15th for protection of habitat.  Just about any road that goes towards divide ridge will have a trail at or near the end of it. As Huntand Jeep said the trails are almost all difficult to extermely difficult. Lots of super steep off camber stuff.  Wear your safety gear, people die on those trails(not an exageration).  If your experienced then go for it but don't be afraid to turnaround.  For me I think the trails on the Cowiche side are much more fun for summer riding
:yeah: Trails closed till the 15th of June. 3 Have died on "Hey Stupid " trail. I will NEVER run that trail.

Offline jdb

• the illustious potentate
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 06:01:43 PM »
Is that also known as short and dirty?
nuke the gray whales for jesus!

Offline huntandjeep

• Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2016, 06:30:08 PM »
Is that also known as short and dirty?
Yes

Offline firepin

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2016, 09:19:42 PM »
I think the " hey stupid" trail is blue slide. Hey stupid referring to the sign before the first steep chute. these trails have lots of steep climbs, off camber and loose shale. Get a good map or go with someone familiar with trails. We have broke many rigs on these trails, take spare parts and tow straps.

Offline buglebuster

• ELKOHOLIC
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2016, 10:24:53 PM »
And don't go looking for pucker ridge

Offline hollymaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2016, 10:38:01 PM »
And don't go looking for pucker ridge

:chuckle:

Offline bracer40

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2016, 10:41:05 PM »
For the past 5-6 years I've been hiking past the cross where a guy lost his life when his quad rolled and crushed him. That was a somber camp at times when we'd walk past the blood stained gravel where search and rescue laid his body in the middle of our camp.
One of my buddies nearly died when the quad he was riding up near the crest of divide ridge rolled backwards and the bars hooked onto his backpack and took him down the mtn. For 6-8 rag doll rolls.

There are some nasty looking routes up there!
“Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book, and a woman. Then if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a little fun.”
― Groucho Marx

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2016, 05:18:50 PM »
I am experienced and am not looking for pucker or the dirty nasty crap.  We are camping on Rimrock lake side and I am looking for trail up to divide and back down other side.  Want to take family and friends playing not death wheeling.  I don't know much and need to get on the horn and learn but my phone had a fight with my lawn mower.  Louie trail seems a viable option???  We are riding utv not jeeps.  So hope it can handle getting by the rough stuff.  Any advice is appreciated.
MAGA!  Again..

Offline firepin

• Hunter
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2016, 06:15:54 PM »
Louie way will get you on top. Alot of green dot roads to ride, get a map. You can stay on divide ridge and go to green lake, gets kinda crazy in that area. Dont head down the trails towards rimrock. Louie way should be dry. There are 2 climbs to do, first is a climb to a off camber corner and then a rutted rocky climb. Might be a by pass. Second is a long climb with big rocks on the top. If dry shouldnt be to bad, if wet could get a little sketchy. You probably know that the roads at rim rock are not green dot. We have Jeeped rim rock for 20 years, I have a 1000rzr and no way would I run it there. Hope you have a winch and more than one vehicle. Have fun and stay safe.

Offline Dslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2016, 07:07:48 PM »
How in the hell does anyone drive the Louie Gap Trail road up from Long Lake?  I've walked that numerous times and it's unimaginable to me how anyone drives it in anything.

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2016, 07:44:44 PM »
Louie way will get you on top. Alot of green dot roads to ride, get a map. You can stay on divide ridge and go to green lake, gets kinda crazy in that area. Dont head down the trails towards rimrock. Louie way should be dry. There are 2 climbs to do, first is a climb to a off camber corner and then a rutted rocky climb. Might be a by pass. Second is a long climb with big rocks on the top. If dry shouldnt be to bad, if wet could get a little sketchy. You probably know that the roads at rim rock are not green dot. We have Jeeped rim rock for 20 years, I have a 1000rzr and no way would I run it there. Hope you have a winch and more than one vehicle. Have fun and stay safe.
Well that worries me some.  Is it that bad?  I assumed some trails were manageable with utv's.  Would the Bumping area be a smarter choice?
MAGA!  Again..

Offline Naches Sportsman

• Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2016, 08:03:04 PM »
There are only two system 4x4 trails in the bumping. Rattlesnake being one and copper city being the other. Both are very green. There are a couple trails in the nile.

I'd suggest looking into the athanum state forest.

I'd also suggest looking into the trails off of manastash ridge in the Little Naches and off of funny rocks. Some of them can be steep.

There's not really anywhere that is good to ride a utv as the forest doesn't classify them as street legal, so you can't run them on roads legally. There were a few roads opened last year to watv's, but are closed until travel management is done because of the lawsuit by the greenies. There should be some roads opened up when the travel management is finally published.

Offline buckandbullminingco

• Tracker
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2016, 08:30:41 PM »
little naches is closed still as well.  Grew up wheeling all those trails.  If you know the trail system it can be easy in a utv/atv .  If you are new to riding wheeling trails there are some sketchy places  but not like rimrock.  Also all logging roads in little naches are steet legal vehicles only till you get to a trail head. 

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2016, 08:48:01 PM »
Huh?  Confusing regs. atv trails work for me or jeep.  Some roads are ok and others are not depending on what area?  I have been wheeling or riding most of my life but these rules are very confusing as I'm not familiar with that area in general. So roads are ok by clear lake rimrock but not bumping?  Are utvs with street legalality recognized?  Heck it cant be much worse than the Elbe system, except for the vertical stuff.

MAGA!  Again..

Offline Naches Sportsman

• Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2016, 09:01:47 PM »
Huh?  Confusing regs. atv trails work for me or jeep.  Some roads are ok and others are not depending on what area?  I have been wheeling or riding most of my life but these rules are very confusing as I'm not familiar with that area in general. So roads are ok by clear lake rimrock but not bumping?  Are utvs with street legalality recognized?  Heck it cant be much worse than the Elbe system, except for the vertical stuff.

utv's and atv's aren't legal to run on any of the f.s. roads around here. Only legal to run on state roads.  That means if you want to be legal, you have to trailer your toy to the trailhead If it isn't street legal by usfs standards.

All the trails are closed until June 15th or until otherwise posted unless you are a trail management partner that has authorization to buck out trails.

Offline 270Shooter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2016, 09:20:04 PM »
Just go up Louie way and get into the ahtanum state forest. You can drive any road with a green dot on it. Plenty of placed to ride around up there.

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2016, 10:43:35 PM »
Just go up Louie way and get into the ahtanum state forest. You can drive any road with a green dot on it. Plenty of placed to ride around up there.
That is exactly what I was hoping to do.  Access the lake to swim/fish and explore play up louie way ahtanum forest.  Boondocking camp.  But some worry me that it may not be wise to do.  Wildcat x, Razors and a Teryx I hope could handle these trails to the other side thru Louie?
MAGA!  Again..

Offline firepin

• Hunter
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2016, 12:13:49 PM »
If its dry probably no big deal. Im not trying to scare you away from the trail. If you have been on trails before and are comfortable with your sxs go for it. When we started Jeepin there we heard stories of some of the trails and it would put a little scare in you. Short and dirty being one of them. So me and my dad took the trail , being careful, now its my favorite trail. My wife hates it and walks alot. Main thing i have noticed at rimrock is if you are not drinking you will probably be fine. Most there are usually drunk before they hit the trail.

Offline predatorpro

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2016, 12:48:27 PM »
Rimrock is downright scary on some of trails...flipped a fourwheeler coming down a trail last year...and that wasn't even on the bad stuff...it's awesome but some of those trails I come to certain points and that's as far as I'll go on a fourwheeler...

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2016, 04:39:24 PM »
Thanks for advice.  I will be fine, heck my last ride was a Honda 450r modified.  No real crashes and I rode the wheels off it for years.  My last wheeler was a Hilux Yota with olds 455 on 37s and I didn't hurt it either.  But I will keep an eye on the others and where we go for sure.  The off camber hills are my main concern.  Are there campspots near the trailhead "Louie way"?  I hope I find a spot big enough to set multiple rvs/ tents as we will be a large party likely.
MAGA!  Again..

Offline firepin

• Hunter
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2016, 06:49:46 PM »
There is camping at trail head. Never paid attention to size of spots.

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2016, 07:58:25 PM »
Correct me if wrong but this is the Lost/Long lake 1201 road that Louie way begins yes?  Been google earthing it.  When I was up there last week I ran out of time to scout this road which ironically seems to be where I should have started.  Are any of these lakes worthy of a swim for kids?  Oh are snakes up this high common?  I worry bout the dogs not being educated on snake manners!!
MAGA!  Again..

Offline huntandjeep

• Frontiersman
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2016, 08:05:54 PM »
I think the " hey stupid" trail is blue slide. Hey stupid referring to the sign before the first steep chute. these trails have lots of steep climbs, off camber and loose shale. Get a good map or go with someone familiar with trails. We have broke many rigs on these trails, take spare parts and tow straps.

:yeah: your right not sure why I was thinking short and dirty trail.

Offline Elkrunner

• Sourdough
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2016, 06:13:39 AM »
Correct me if wrong but this is the Lost/Long lake 1201 road that Louie way begins yes?  Been google earthing it.  When I was up there last week I ran out of time to scout this road which ironically seems to be where I should have started.  Are any of these lakes worthy of a swim for kids?  Oh are snakes up this high common?  I worry bout the dogs not being educated on snake manners!!

We swim in Rimrock and its dang cold.  The kids did not enjoy it much..If they are older kids, then shouldn't be an issue.

Offline firepin

• Hunter
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2016, 07:10:32 AM »
You want to go to long lake on 1201. Lake is to the left at end of road, trail head stay to the right. Never swam in the lake, during the summer there are a lot of mosquitoes. take bug spray on the trail.  Never seen any rattle snakes up there.

Offline Dslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2016, 09:55:32 PM »
Long lake is not really a likely swimming hole-can be good fishing until it gets gunked up, then it gets hard to fish.  Lost Lake is not a swimming hole either-it gets gunked up by humans, but fishing can be good-gets planted heavily  Might try swimming at Clear Lake-but it's mighty cold with the runoff from the Goat Rocks for a pretty good time in the summer.  By the middle of June, Clear will have around 20,000 fish planted or more-almost impossible not to catch some then.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]