collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: How do I help a archery guy fill a bear tag in the high country,No bait involved  (Read 2853 times)

Offline Highmountaindan

• Go where people don't
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
  • my picture is not upside down
I'm a rifle hunter and have experience hunting meadows during blueberry time for bear. However this year I am gonna have a hunting partner that uses a bow, he's done well on dear and wants to get a bear. I'm not sure how to make that happen. It can be pretty stinking difficult to put a stalk on a bear and nail it with and arrow, the next thing I think about is safety. What if its not a shot to the vitals. Now we have a fight or flight bear and it 30 yards away. Anyone have any tactics in mind? I have thought of a few but I would like some opinions. Thanks for the help :)
If the shoe fits! Wear it)( Its not the grades you make but the hands you shake! favorite podcasts are meat eater, jay scott outdoors and hunt backcountry podcast by exo mountain gear.

Offline RudyP

• Tracker
  • Groups: NRA NAGR
Tree stand. Or make sure he places a good shot. 👍🏽.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline skagitsteel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
    • https://www.facebook.com/ryan.gaither.908
Getting within range of a bear won't be too hard if there are a few trees or an edge of a berry field.  I've shot a couple in the high country and passed plenty at close range.  My closest was 22 yards, I passed one last year at 10 yards. I wouldn't be worried about one charging, they seem to run when hit atleast in my experience.  if you have a backup gun to track one if its wounded should be sufficient.  Stalking up on a bear is a lot easier than a buck in the high country

Offline RadSav

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
Best way to help a bowhunter out in the high country on bear is to stay WAY back and let him make the stalks alone.  Berry bushes are noisy enough with just one person trying to make a stalk.

A lot of our spots have worn trails where animals work into and out of the bowls on a regular basis.  If you notice one of these watch morning and evening wind patterns and then sit on them.  If you are close to timber it's often best to set up inside the timber instead of in the berries.  Much fewer things for the arrow to hit on it's way to the target.  Though darkness does come very fast in high country timber.

Bear go down quick when shot well with a bow.  One of the tougher animals when shot poorly gun or bow.  So if you don't hear the death moan or watch him go down it's best to wait a couple hours or until morning unless it's raining.  When tracking wounded bear its a good idea to stay on the track and not have multiple people fan out.  You want to make sure the most mentally stable shooter is in front and the guy in the rear does not have a round chambered or an arrow nocked. If you come up on a live stationary bear the archer can likely move up and then nock an arrow.

Remember, a scared shooter is far more dangerous than any bear your likely to encounter.  People in fear tend to panic and panic is bad news.  Name of the game is - Slow, organized and calm!  Repeat that out loud as you track if necessary - Slow - Organized - Calm.  Always amazing how oral repetition of an order can help ease the tension.
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline Decker

• Longhunter
  • I don't know anything and I can prove it.
This totally depends on time of year - fall hunt or spring?
"And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them" Romans 8:28~

Offline Highmountaindan

• Go where people don't
  • Tracker
  • my picture is not upside down
All good opinions, thanks. It would be a late summer hunt. Late August early September depending on how the berries do this year.
If the shoe fits! Wear it)( Its not the grades you make but the hands you shake! favorite podcasts are meat eater, jay scott outdoors and hunt backcountry podcast by exo mountain gear.

Offline Branden

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
Bears are one of the easiest animals to kill in the high country. I hunt them the exact same with my bow as with my rifle. Spot stalk. Just watch the wind and it's a pretty easy hunt.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]