collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Cooke Canyon Hunt Club  (Read 7022 times)

Offline 12Gauge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Cooke Canyon Hunt Club
« on: January 31, 2009, 01:41:03 PM »
I got reservations to hunt in a couple weeks at Cooke Canyon Hunt Club for pheasants, since I missed the season last year and didn't bag a deer or elk so I thought why not treat myself for a pheasant hunt in February. 

What do you guys think of Cooke Canyon Hunt Club?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 10:32:54 AM by Lunatic »
Progressives are coming for your guns. 
What are you going to do?

Well me, I do not have any guns, gave away or sold them 15 years ago.

Offline Antlershed

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Cooke Canyon Hunt Club
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 01:49:47 PM »
A buddy of mine hunted it last month. One of the birds wouldn't fly/flush, so they caught it by hand, tossed it up in the air to try and see if it would fly. It just smacked back down on the ground, so they caught it by hand again and rung its neck...  To me it seems kind of spendy for shooting tame birds.  :twocents:

Offline Birdguy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 10:29:31 AM »
Not all birds are tame, and for a lot of newer guys that have not had a lot of pheasant hunt under their belt it is a great time. There is no such thing as a cheap bird, unless you have a great spot that is close to home and you are always successful. If I were to look honestly at the amount of fuel, food and lodging (even though we stay most areas for free with friends/family) I know I have spent well over $100 per bird (wild pheasant). I do not know what Cooke Canyon is charging but I am certain it is not that much. The real kicker is that most of the time I go east hunting I have a pen full of pheasants in my yard that I grow and sell. It will be what you make of it. If your attitude is right it will be a great time.

Offline Wenatcheejay

• Past Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 08:03:47 PM »
I don't know about this ranch but be careful. The first time I went to a "hunting ranch" (out by Banks Lake) they handed me a cage full of pheasant. Since then I have been to some ranches like "Miller Ranch" in Sprauge Wa. That Ranch is good and it can be great hunting even if you are in shape.
MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN.

Offline road.kill

• Hunter
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 09:47:03 PM »
Ive been there, they release the birds however you would like it, depending on how sporty you want it to be. The guys setting your birds out will tailor it to your wants from what I got out of it.

When we went we had a few that would hold until you basically stepped on them, and others that would run and run and never flush. It was a fun hunt and they seemed to be nice people running the place. And this ranch has a quite a bit of area, you will probably see other guys but you get a pretty big area to yourself

Offline Ridgerunner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 08:32:21 AM »
I went last October for the first time and had a great experience.  All our birds didn't have a problem flying(I had a problem hitting them though, lol.).  I took my two 4 year olds out with me to get a little experience in the field in uncrowded conditions, it was great, they planted the birds so that it wouldn't be too hard to find them.  The kids got a real rush out of seeing the dog work and the roosters flying.  I'm definately going back, I just need to find the time. 

Offline KillerBeee

• Tuna Meister
  • Hunter
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 12:40:41 PM »
I've been out there twice lately. I'm definetely a newbie bird hunter and tag along with some friends who have dogs.
   I think you'll find the people to be very friendly and the operation to be well run. The plots are from 80-120 acres and you really aren't very close to another group.
    For me it was a very fun experience and they have a great cleaning room to make your birds ready for the kitchen and keep your wife happy.
   Top it all off with a pheasant snack cooked by the owners wife before you leave, and you have a great day.
   Exceeded any expectation that I might have had.
      Beeeeee

Offline bowhunter/taxidermest

• Kyle's taxidermy
  • Tracker
  • Kyles taxidermy
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 07:29:25 PM »
i work there and hunt there and i love it if you were on the sportmans show on sat u proably had seen me but i have good and bad hunts the only bad hunt ever was the birds i had got was birds that i had picked out myself and they were young birds that were going to die so i decided to hunt em and there was about 5 runts in the group :dunno: that i took out and it was in the midst of the summer and it was hot, thats the only time i hadnt had my birds fly on me...but otherwise i love it and ill be there for a while so im sure if you come in the month feb ill be there  ;) but im not trying to sweet talk all that out there but this is my  :twocents:

Offline 12Gauge

• Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 10:34:15 AM »
Thanks for the input guys.  Cooke Canyon seems to be a real nice place, the owners are very friendly.

Offline KillerBeee

• Tuna Meister
  • Hunter
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 12:42:18 PM »
I've enjoyed it so much, I'm headed up again on Sunday with a group of friends.

Offline 12Gauge

• Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 09:45:58 PM »
Went there today, Alice and Doug are so nice, they make you feel at home.  Shot four birds, we missed one bird with four shots, (must be his lucky day).  A great place to hunt.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:04:10 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]