collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Recommendations on place to buy a heavy duty utlity trailer  (Read 7511 times)

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
Well the business is cranking along and gotten to a point (wayyy faster than I planned) that I need a way to haul stock orders without overloading my rig like I have been.  I considered a pickup bed style utility trailer or even just a pickup, but knowing that a used homemade trailer rig or used 1ton can handle the weight of even a minimum stock order is to much of a risk.

Hoping to find something in Pierce County area.  This is all out of pocket at this point, so looking to keep :twocents: down as low as possible.  If anyone has a cousin's, great Uncle's, highschool teacher that has an "in" let me know.  Or if you just had good luck and reasonable pricing from a place, let me know.  I found a place in Oly that has what looks like a great bang for the buck trailer, just hoping there is a place closer to Puyallup with a good deal to save having to sprint thru JBLM traffic after work to get there before they close on weekdays.  I skimmed websites of the "big names" (freeway trailers etc) and they seemed really expensive.

I am looking for something fairly small size, I do not want something like a full size car hauler.  Probably something like a 5x10 size, specifically not looking full enclosed.  I need solid side walls as the trailer will see gravel runs, dump runs etc.  Based on what I am seeing in quick research I will need double axle, all the trailer axles look to be 3500# rated.  Min load I have to be able to handle is 2500#, max is approx 5000#.  Max load could be once a year or it could be every other month.

Offline Grit dog

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Recommendations on place to buy a heavy duty utlity trailer
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 02:37:30 PM »
Trailer dealer in oly, forget the name, had the best price when I bought a couple new deck over trailers couple years ago.
But hit up craigslist. Sounds like you want a dump trialer off gravel, etc but would haul anything else. Has sides, heavy dual axle.
Also sounds like you want something cheap if you're considering homemade pickup bed trailers and any used dump trailer still going to be $2-3k at least unless it's trashed.   
Again, Craigslist is your friend here.

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 04:45:55 PM »
Bulldog trailers- great quality. Down near Chehalis
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 05:15:28 PM »
Iron Eagle makes a real solid trailer, I am very happy with mine.  There is a dealer off HY 18 near Maple Valley, I think it is called Trailers Northwest.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 05:20:59 PM »
Coming from some one who has towed and owned lots of different trailers id recomend a single axle dump trailer. One with a torsion bar suspension and 8lug would be the rout id go. Youd be amazed at how much you will use the dump feature especially it you attach a small winch to the forward bulkhead.  I say 16" wheel 8 hole because tires and wheels can be had used all day long used cheap. Own a spare.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 05:46:00 PM »
Thanks for the input guys!

Actually not looking for a dump bed, the time I would use that feature would be maybe 1x a year if that, and it adds half again the cost to the trailer.  My monthly use is a palletized load that I cannot tip or dump out.  Just a huge increase in expense for an option I do not see myself using (haven't used one ever, and rarely do haul dirt/gravel, just want the option.  I appreciate the recommendation and will keep eyes open, just hard to swallow extra $1k or more for it. 

I do however need the capacity and load rating of a double axle.  My std deliveries may be 2500# pallet, but I also bring in two of those pallets at a time so a 5000# load.  I need to be able to haul both at once, otherwise I am doubling my time, mileage and fuel when I place larger orders which I am already having to do on just my 3rd stock order.  If it continues this way 5k will be the norm, hence wanting the capacity.

It definitely does seem more difficult to find a trailer with the load rating and NOT dump though for sure...  I will check out those brands/stores.  I will also keep the wheels/tire thing in mind!  Thanks guys!!

So far the one I am seeing as the best option is this one:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/fod/5551747969.html

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 05:50:33 PM »
That looks to be a heck of a price for that trailer.  I doubt you'll find much lower.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 06:01:09 PM »
That looks to be a heck of a price for that trailer.  I doubt you'll find much lower.
That is sort of what I was seeing, so wanted to throw the question out in case someone has a hookup or knows a better deal.

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 07:51:28 PM »
Tandem axle dumper . One trailer and you Wil be done . The dump saves so much time and back pain . If you blow a tire on a tandem your not stuck so to speak .
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 06:56:09 AM »
Depending on where your going, and how your vehicle is licensed you may need to stop at scales. If you have specific questions http://www.wsp.wa.gov/traveler/cvd.htm or PM me
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Grit dog

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 08:29:50 AM »
Well you're limiting yourself with your  requirements of 5x10, built in sides and tandem axle(7klb).
You're not divulging what you haul which is fine, but 1 or 2 loaded 2500lb pallets screams flatbed to me.
There are several larger flatbed trailers on CL right now that will haul what you need , ability to forklift the pallets and it's easy to build wood sides if you need side boards. Seen a couple that could be had for under $2k easy. Agree not a lot of trailers right now. Need to keep your eye out. Deals pop up.
Few years ago bought a 7x16 tandem, almost new with painted 4' wood sideboards well constructed for $1500. 2 years ago, found a like new 28' enclosed Charmac snowmobile trailer, literally like new, decked out for $5k.
But you're not likely to find those kind of deals every day. Knew what I wanted and was ready to buy when one came available.
If I was doing any sort of trailer hauling for hire like you are, I'd be thinking flatbed/carhauler or deck over trailer with stake pockets to put sides on if you need them.

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 09:19:15 AM »
Well you're limiting yourself with your  requirements of 5x10, built in sides and tandem axle(7klb).
You're not divulging what you haul which is fine, but 1 or 2 loaded 2500lb pallets screams flatbed to me.
There are several larger flatbed trailers on CL right now that will haul what you need , ability to forklift the pallets and it's easy to build wood sides if you need side boards. Seen a couple that could be had for under $2k easy. Agree not a lot of trailers right now. Need to keep your eye out. Deals pop up.
Few years ago bought a 7x16 tandem, almost new with painted 4' wood sideboards well constructed for $1500. 2 years ago, found a like new 28' enclosed Charmac snowmobile trailer, literally like new, decked out for $5k.
But you're not likely to find those kind of deals every day. Knew what I wanted and was ready to buy when one came available.
If I was doing any sort of trailer hauling for hire like you are, I'd be thinking flatbed/carhauler or deck over trailer with stake pockets to put sides on if you need them.
Great info again.  I have considered flatbed, I just do not need that full 16ft which is why I sort of wrote flat beds off, I need the smaller footprint for storage between runs so I can tuck it out of the way next to garage, a car trailer just does not fit there.  Smaller (5x10) high capacity ones seemed hard to find as well.  Having the sides build in also was easy for those other runs.  But I will check again, ad loading pallets from side is much easier than tail loading and having to push forward. :tup:

I am not doing this for hire I am hauling my own personal load of a very specific product, not for someone else.  If I was doing for hire with varying product hands down I would go bigger dual axle flatbed. :tup:

You guys are giving me lot to think about and even though I am still a bit focused on the one I linked you are bringing up alternatives I had not considered and giving me lots of options to look at.  keep em coming.  THANKS!

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2016, 09:24:02 AM »
Im guessing the requirements stem from the fact that the pallet load is likely something like paver block or small retaining wall blocks. Something with sides helps keep contained with no chance of spillage.

I would say that you need a barn doo style rear gate not a tilt up like the one in the add you linkd. Gona be very hard to push or slide a second pallet onto the trailer with that and leaving it off negates any benifits of having built in sides.

Confucius

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2016, 10:47:56 AM »
Im guessing the requirements stem from the fact that the pallet load is likely something like paver block or small retaining wall blocks. Something with sides helps keep contained with no chance of spillage.

I would say that you need a barn doo style rear gate not a tilt up like the one in the add you linkd. Gona be very hard to push or slide a second pallet onto the trailer with that and leaving it off negates any benifits of having built in sides.
It is loads of wood pellets on a pallet, 2500#/pallet including pallet weight.  I was worried about that tail gate for loading as well.  I have not seen the trailer in person but was told by the store that the tailgate is easily removable.  They also have options available for swing out tail as well, rather than ramped.

I am still looking for higher capacity flat trailers, but everything so far over 3k rating has been full size 7x16-20ft car haulers which are not feasible for me.

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2016, 11:51:46 AM »
http://bulldogtrailers.com/inventory?view=detail&id=76

Our old Bulldog is a 3 axle with 6K each. It's about 18 years old now I believe. We just bought a smaller tilt deck with just two 6K axles this year. 

Bulldogs really hold up well. Great quality trailers. For car haulers we buy from a guy who used to own Interstate Trailers. He's in Nevada and about $3K less with two 6K axles than the local car hauler guy with cheapo 3K lb axles.

We buy two car haulers a year to replace aging ones. I think we have about 20 trailers now.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal