collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Fanning turkeys  (Read 2215 times)

Offline birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: LMAC, NRA
Fanning turkeys
« on: May 05, 2016, 10:52:51 AM »
Read a couple posts in the turkey forum over being shot or hit with stray shot (accidently). The lastest crazy that I am reading in the turkey hunting world as being very effective - fanning. I don't see in WA regs where it would be illegal. Does anyone know if the state is addressing this? Other states have specifically called the process illegal, such as PA for safety reasons. Article from PA attached. I have not been in the woods turkey hunting in WA, so I am just asking on this topic.

http://triblive.com/sports/outdoors/10372432-74/fanning-turkey-fan
USN retired
1981-2011

Offline ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
Re: Fanning turkeys
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 11:50:59 AM »
I think I read Bearpaw was using that tactic  with success this year.
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 12:31:16 PM »
It has worked for me a few times. Just like everything it depends on the individual bird. It is dangerous tho, I like to use it for those toms that don't won't to cross that big opening or henned up but again it is dangerous. This is not a good tactic for crowded public land.  I don't advise spot and stalk turkey hunting for this reason too, always be 100% sure of your target before touching the trigger!  Products like the scoot and shoot are just asking for trouble if you ask me. 
As I've said before, having the caller fall back 50 yards or so is way more productive than any decoy imo
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: LMAC, NRA
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 12:54:19 PM »
It has worked for me a few times. Just like everything it depends on the individual bird. It is dangerous tho, I like to use it for those toms that don't won't to cross that big opening or henned up but again it is dangerous. This is not a good tactic for crowded public land.  I don't advise spot and stalk turkey hunting for this reason too, always be 100% sure of your target before touching the trigger!  Products like the scoot and shoot are just asking for trouble if you ask me. 
As I've said before, having the caller fall back 50 yards or so is way more productive than any decoy imo

yea I haven't done any turkey here, I know in PA folks can or at least could use a 22 mag years ago, my grandpa used to love to hunt with one, and was extremely effective.  All there is in the turkey regs speaks to ethics and never to stalk a turkey, which is effectively this method. I was wondering from some in the know, if the state is going to stop this practice in the future, would hate to get setup and then be told no more... To me, it would be a very effective afternoon spot and stalk hunt method.
USN retired
1981-2011

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Deadeyety
[Today at 05:12:44 PM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:12:42 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]