collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: general westside elk area  (Read 3736 times)

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
general westside elk area
« on: May 06, 2016, 06:49:20 PM »
I have hunted elk on the eastside for years but as my family grows I have a harder time finding time to commit to scouting and hunting so far from home. I was hoping someone could recommend a unit over on the westside, preferably within an hour or two of pierce county to look for elk. I have no computer proficiency so trying to search online was getting me nowhere. I don't want to know where your honeyhole is, just a national forest or gmu where elk hunting isn't horrible. I can read a map and put in the time afield scouting I was just hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I am hoping to take my son out in the next few weeks and it took me several years to find a decent area before so any help you can give is very appreciative. Thanks!

Offline Bullkllr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: general westside elk area
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 07:20:06 PM »
Welcome to the site.
My first advice: stick around, contribute, and continue to ask questions and you will likely get more results.

I have found some areas to hunt by studying the harvest reports and then putting boots on the ground. WDFW website also has a newer "Hunting Prospects" section that looks like it could be promising.
http://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/prospects/
http://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/harvest/
"Making good people helpless will not make bad people harmless"

Offline jeffitz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 07:39:21 PM »
Jp which units did you hunt on the eastside? Did you have decent success finding spikes? Did you ever draw a big bull permit? Welcome to the site.
If you're gonna be dumb,you gotta be tough.

Offline Jpmiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 07:56:25 PM »
Thanks for those two links! I had no idea that stuff was online, I had a game warden talk to me about the harvest reports and whatnot once but I had never actually seen one. I am at the stage in my life where a trophy elk is a legal elk and I am looking for freezer meat so actually knowing where people are having success is awesome.

I hunted 336 on the eastside before. They had a big washout on the main road in/out for a few years and the hunting was decent then but I never could find the elusive spikes there. Before and after the road washed out there was so many people up there it was hard to get away from them. I had a lot of sour experiences walking miles up closed logging roads only to have someone cut the locks and drive up behind me.

I got drawn for cow tags a couple of times back when I was in high school but couldn't ever get on them quite right. I am a pretty conservative shot and never felt comfortable with any of my opportunities. I love the area up there its great for fishing and hunting but my son is pretty young still and he does better with day trips so finding something closer to home is looking more appealing. I have only been applying for points for the quality bull tags, Life keeps me busy and I would hate to get drawn when I cant commit a good chunk of time to the season so I am banking points right now.

I appreciate the welcome fellows. My limited online experience had led me to expect a lot more push back and hostility, glad to see some parts of the internet can be more civilized.

Offline jeffitz

• Scout
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 08:24:31 PM »
Right on,sounds like youre a better man than me because i just drop everything when elk season rolls around.good luck on the west side,there are plenty of opportunities if you are driven.
If you're gonna be dumb,you gotta be tough.

Offline jmscon

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
  • RMEF BHA TRCP
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 11:30:15 PM »
Welcome to the site! I joined last year and feel a little addicted to it! :chuckle:
I am kind of in the same boat, I have been hunting the eastside for 12 years and with a two year old and another due before hunting season I am thinking of taking day trips on the westside.
My interpretation of the rules are open to interpretation.
Once I thought I was wrong but I was mistaken.

Offline wooltie

• Scout
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 06:29:20 AM »
654, 454 have elk and are close to Pierce County. Going by the numbers, 654 actually is pretty good considering harvest and # of hunters.

Offline lastmk8

• Scout
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 07:17:31 AM »
Welcome to the site and all the great people here.  Now, this is how things happen,... look two east side hunters thinking maybe day trips on the wet side.  Looks to be similar in having younger children, look like probably live not to far from each other... I recommend jmscon and jpmiller get together and learn this wet side stuff together, double your efforts, share ideas, insights, information, etc, etc, etc,..... and this is how it all starts, time and time again.

Good luck over here on the wet side, you are going to love these Rosie's...!!!!

Offline ryan2202

• Business Sponsor
  • Tracker
  • Owner / Operator Pine & Tines LLC
    • Pine & Tines - used firearms.  Rifles, Shotguns, Blackpowder
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 07:41:49 AM »
Welcome to the site!  I'm in the same boat as you - as the family grows, its getting tough to get away to do the homework as well as even hunt.  I'm learning the west side areas as well.  Good Luck in the new hunts!  I've found 454 and 654 areas as places to consider thus far.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 08:16:45 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]