collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bear Spray or Handgun  (Read 33173 times)

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
Re: Bear Spray or Handgun
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2016, 09:39:34 AM »
Spray is under used.  Nearly 100% effective.  Yellowstone Rangers who are charged often use it with near perfect results.  That said a 357 or larger is also very wise.  If bear was on you it can be hard to use spray.  Also cans can get old and not work well.  Both is the best answer but spray is better often.  It doesn't miss, or wound animal like guns can.  A wounded bear will attack instead of just a false charge warning.  Often I read Grizz will charge as a warning but not attack but if you shoot it its a guaranteed attack.  As for 2 legged critters spray will work very good.  Can cause blindness.
MAGA!  Again..

Offline brush hunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2016, 09:44:26 AM »
Bear Spray all the way.  Handguns for bears is for television.
Why would that be?
That's my one shot.

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2016, 09:58:58 AM »
I often carry a pistol (self protection caliber) in WA in black bear country but it's not for bear protection, it's for the goofballs we have running around in this state.  In N ID or NW MT, I'll normally carry a Taurus 444 Ultralite .44 MAG with 305 GR HSM bear loads.  I opt for a big "bang" vs a psssst from a can of compressed pepper spray... just my personal choice.  I always like to share this VID when these threads pop up. Do you think the pssst from an aerosol can would have turned this momma bear?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuYs8Dnef3s
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2016, 10:06:28 AM »
I often carry a pistol (self protection caliber) in WA in black bear country but it's not for bear protection, it's for the goofballs we have running around in this state.  In N ID or NW MT, I'll normally carry a Taurus 444 Ultralite .44 MAG with 305 GR HSM bear loads.  I opt for a big "bang" vs a psssst from a can of compressed pepper spray... just my personal choice.  I always like to share this VID when these threads pop up. Do you think the pssst from an aerosol can would have turned this momma bear?

Yes. I believe the odds are far better than the "pop" from a handgun attempting to hit a mad mamma charging at 30 mph.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2016, 10:12:54 AM »
He closed his eyes and slammed the trigger!  :IBCOOL:

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2016, 10:16:23 AM »
He closed his eyes and slammed the trigger!  :IBCOOL:

No doubt.  I think it was the guide, and, he was slapping leather as soon as he saw the triplets on the bank.  Good man.
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline Cougartail

• Frontiersman
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2016, 11:01:20 AM »

Yes. I believe the odds are far better than the "pop" from a handgun attempting to hit a mad mamma charging at 30 mph.
Just so you know, in the 1/2 a second it takes a bear to cover 20 yards (effective range of spray) a bear won't feel much effect from the spray. By the time it starts the "burn" (if it is an actual attack) it's to late.
The startle effect is all spray has to offer in reality. A firearm blast or horn blast is just as effective.

Go for a long solo hike along a Alaskan stream choked full of salmon sometime. I don't "believe" I want a firearm. I "know" I want one with me in bear country.

I have a friend who has lived at a remote Alaskan homestead for over 20 years. He has never owned bear spray and somehow managed to survive with just firearms. Mention bear spray and he'll reply, "City folks".

Did Trump hurt your feelings?

I only seem like a macho guy if you have low T and you listen to the Village  People

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2016, 11:38:00 AM »

Just so you know, in the 1/2 a second it takes a bear to cover 20 yards (effective range of spray) a bear won't feel much effect from the spray. By the time it starts the "burn" (if it is an actual attack) it's to late.
The startle effect is all spray has to offer in reality. A firearm blast or horn blast is just as effective.

Go for a long solo hike along a Alaskan stream choked full of salmon sometime. I don't "believe" I want a firearm. I "know" I want one with me in bear country.

I have a friend who has lived at a remote Alaskan homestead for over 20 years. He has never owned bear spray and somehow managed to survive with just firearms. Mention bear spray and he'll reply, "City folks".
Yes, and I've killed enough big game animals (most far smaller than a grizzly, and nearly all shot with firearms more powerful than common handgun calibers) to understand that very few die within 1/2 second.
I'll take my chances with spray over a handgun.

To each his own. If you feel comfortable with a handgun, go for it.

Offline bradslam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2016, 12:37:51 PM »

The "startle effect is all the spray has to offer"?  Obviously, you have no first hand experience with pepper spray.  How about you let someone video you being sprayed in the face with pepper spray and we'll post it on Hunting Washington so we can all witness you being "startled"?  :chuckle:

Every time this issue comes up, the macho mentality always comes from people who are going to gun down a charging grizzly with their handgun.  Forget the studies that show pepper spray is more effective; people instead go with the opinion of some friend who has SOMEHOW managed to survive in Alaska with just a firearm, as if it's a daily struggle for life between man and bear.  There are plenty of people who survive in Alaska and other bear country without a firearm, or bear spray for that matter.

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2016, 01:07:13 PM »
Keep in mind good bear spray is like 100xs stronger than people pepper spray.  It is downright dangerous stuff.  Plus its hard to miss just remember to spray at ground in front of animal charge.
MAGA!  Again..

Offline davk

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA, GOA
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2016, 03:31:33 PM »
I forget what they are called but there are wipes that help neutralize pepper spray.  Does anyone carry those along with their bear spray, or know if they are effective with bear spray?

Offline Cougartail

• Frontiersman
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2016, 03:57:44 PM »
Keep in mind good bear spray is like 100xs stronger than people pepper spray.  It is downright dangerous stuff.  Plus its hard to miss just remember to spray at ground in front of animal charge.

Wrong! Bear spray is about 1 to 2 percent capsicum. Human spray is 10% plus capsicum.
 Nice try..
Did Trump hurt your feelings?

I only seem like a macho guy if you have low T and you listen to the Village  People

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2016, 04:03:47 PM »

Ha, my hand cannon is a bit more than a "pop".  Things pay attention when that thing goes off  :rolleyes:  I'm all about a solid chunk of lead blasted into an offending brown bear's body to disrupt it's nervous system (even if he's dragging me away by the leg)... I'll get the last laugh if it kills me   :chuckle:
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick

Offline JoeE

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2016, 04:11:25 PM »
The bear spray fans...what if you are in a tent, or it's windy? I've been pepper sprayed and I'm completely disabled. I'll take the gun every time. I know a lot of guys who spend a lot of time in the Alaskan backcountry and none of them choose spray over side arm.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 04:24:53 PM by JoeE »

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2016, 04:21:22 PM »
Darwin will sort it out. ;)

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics