collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Stone Glacier Sky Talus 6900  (Read 10130 times)

Offline JustinC

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Tracker
    • https://www.facebook.com/CrossleyJustin
    • Rokslide
Stone Glacier Sky Talus 6900
« on: May 10, 2016, 07:48:25 AM »
A little background for those who don't know me. I have been backpack hunting for a little more than ten years now. I was lucky when I started out, and chose an Arc'teryx Bora as my first pack. That pack served me well for quite a few years, and I still think they are a great option for people getting into the sport. For the last several years, I have been partnered with Kifaru and recommend their packs to anyone seeking a top quality pack. After using most their frames, and a lot of their bags, I really can't say enough about the quality, and customer service. Just about everyone I hunt with has made the switch after trying one of mine.

Stone Glacier is also known for making top of the line hunting packs, and I have been curious how they compare to Kifaru, which I consider the benchmark for top quality gear. This year, they came out with the Sky Talus 6900 which caught my eye since it has a lot of the features I like in a pack, and is very lightweight. Kurt sent me a Sky Talus to test this year, and I will be posting my thoughts, and honest feedback, along with a bunch of pictures on this thread.

Assistant Editor at Rokslide

Offline JustinC

• Tracker
    • Rokslide
Re: Stone Glacier Sky Talus 6900
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 07:51:47 AM »
I have a couple videos showing a water resistance test, and how I'm using the pack as a day pack for spring bear. I'll post them up if it's ok with the mods?

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 08:36:19 AM »
 :tup:

Thanks for sharing, Justin.

Will be tagging along.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline JustinC

• Tracker
    • Rokslide
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 02:44:53 PM »
Some guys asked me how well the Talus does in rain. I sprayed the pack directly with a hose for a couple minutes which is very extreme compared to rain falling down. The pack material, and zippers held the water out perfectly. The only places I had leakage was where the zippers meet. Overall not bad imo. If a guy takes a little care with where he places the zipper pulls,the pack contents should stay dry.

Offline JustinC

• Tracker
    • Rokslide
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 02:46:16 PM »
Here is a quick video laying out how I'm using the Talus for day hunts.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 04:01:39 PM »
tagging along  :tup:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 04:46:49 PM »
Nice!  Look forward to the rundown. :tup:
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline bulldogs40

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 02:42:44 PM »
Just got my talus in the mail today. Going to try and break it in this weekend... My first impression is holy crap this thing is light!!!!

Offline Stickerbush

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2016, 03:38:02 PM »
Sweet
Coastal Perspective.

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2016, 10:12:28 PM »
Looked pretty hard at this pack, but couldn't justify it over a Kifaru.  Looking forward to your reviews with big loads compared to the Kifaru.

Offline shootnrun

• Hunter

Offline HUNTaHOLIC5

• Scout
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2016, 10:56:13 PM »
Nice thread. I'm still deciding between kifaru or SG

Offline bulldogs40

• Hunter
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2016, 03:37:05 PM »
Just got back from my first trip out with the talus. No complaints here. Tested it with around 40ish pounds in it. Felt like I was carrying a much lighter load. No problems with the waist straps slipping off my hips and I love the center zipper and the ability to access every item without opening the top is great. Ive always had problems with my neck and shoulders from football and the load lifters took all the pressure off. Overall, it is a great pack so far. Worth 650$??? We will see. The weight, versatility, and overall comfort were all great and with some of the accessories SG sells this could be a do it all pack for everything from day trips to packing out quarters and your camp at the same time. It really feels like it is a quality product that will hold as much as your legs can take and then some. Going to try and do some longer climbs in the near future and try and keep everybody informed.

Offline archerykraze

• Hunter
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2016, 02:04:53 AM »
Bought this pack last month, took it on a backpacking trip last week 7 miles round trip. The pack was very comfortable and really made the load feel light. Having the main zipper on the main compartment made it easy to access gear at a moments notice without having to unpack items to reach the bottom. There are many straps so the pack which straps down tight with no movement while hiking. Got the hydration attachment which allows me to carry a Nalgene on my hip while hiking (I don't like hydration bladders for chance of bursting and soaking gear.). The two compartments on the sides allow easy access to water filtration system or hunting gear which can be reached without undoing any straps. Both sides of pack have holsters which one will have my rifle and the other my tripod. Overall, I felt like this is a high quality pack and I can't wait for the high hunt which will be done in comfort. Thanks Stone Glacier!

Offline dscubame

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2016, 07:16:31 AM »
Picked up this pack a month or so ago.  Eager to give it a go this year and continue to hear others feedback. 
It's a TIKKA thing..., you may not understand.

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

Offline JustinC

• Tracker
    • Rokslide
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2016, 11:12:27 AM »
I've got mine loaded up for a four day bear hunt. I leave work at 10:30 tonight and will hike in the first four miles or so and then sleep until daylight before pushing on the next six or so. This will be the first back country trip with it so we'll see how I like it.

I did pack out one spring bear with it in Idaho this year and it worked great.

Offline whacker1

• Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2016, 11:18:23 AM »
I upgraded from the Sky Archer 6200 to the Sky Talus 6900.  The 6900 is better configured for my needs carrying a spotting scope.  Otherwise I love both packs.

Offline JustinC

• Tracker
    • Rokslide
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2016, 11:29:50 AM »
I had high hopes for the Talus as far as carrying my spotting scope but it doesn't fit well in the side pocket at all. I'm running a 20-60x80 Swaro ATS. I talked to Kurt about it and he said that he puts his in the main bag. I have been doing that, but it takes some getting used to. The reason I like the DT1 and Rambler from Kiraru so much is the spotting scope pockets on the sides. I will continue using the SG for most of my trips this year though so I can thoroughly run it through it's paces.

Offline whacker1

• Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2016, 12:42:22 PM »
I had high hopes for the Talus as far as carrying my spotting scope but it doesn't fit well in the side pocket at all. I'm running a 20-60x80 Swaro ATS. I talked to Kurt about it and he said that he puts his in the main bag. I have been doing that, but it takes some getting used to. The reason I like the DT1 and Rambler from Kiraru so much is the spotting scope pockets on the sides. I will continue using the SG for most of my trips this year though so I can thoroughly run it through it's paces.

I am running the STS 20-60x65....it fits snug, but fits perfectly.  I am running the outdoorsman compact medium with pistol grip head, which fits perfectly on the other side.

The pocket is not big enough for the 80, that I would agree.

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2016, 08:39:13 PM »
I have had the Talus for a couple of weeks and so far I am impressed. It is fitting really well so far and I have had a lot of problems with pack fit in the past. Only run 40# to this point but its looking good.

Offline JustinC

• Tracker
    • Rokslide
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2016, 08:08:42 AM »
Just got back last night from four days in the wilderness. We didn't get a bear but we put on a few miles and had a great time. The pack performed well as expected with 47.5 lbs going in. The water bottle pocket that hangs from the shoulder strap is very handy and works well but it kept bugging me being right under my arm. I finally took it off and used the lower side pocket on the left side for my water bottle and that worked great. I think I will leave the water bottle pocket at home from now on. With the side pockets too small for my 80mm spotting scope I have been carrying it in the main pocket which took some getting used to, but it's working well. In the exterior side pockets I'm putting my puffy jacket, my water filter, my Jetboil and my rain jacket.

I packed my heavy rifle for this hunt which puts too much weight on my right side and makes it really hard to balance the pack right. Yesterday we hiked about 9.5 miles and I started getting some pain on my right hip around mile six or so. I'm sure this was due to the rifle being on that side. The rifle carrier also allows the butt of the rifle to move with me a little as I walk which is good except it rubs against the hip belt.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand