collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: quail?  (Read 10186 times)

Offline jeepster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
quail?
« on: May 14, 2016, 11:59:46 AM »
my wife and i were poking around the craigslist and saw quail for sale, and it got us thinking.

we want chickens but we don't really want chickens, we would like ducks, but aren't really set up for ducks... we have a few acres, but because we rent, we don't really want the noise of chickens, or to build something huge, but we want birds, and don't want to draw attention. we like eggs, but don't go through them too fast, so they are nice to have, but not really something we buy often. everything that we see about quail kind of fits our lifestyle. smaller birds, less space requirements, better quality eggs, albeit smaller, but quail seem like a low risk, alot-in-a-small-package, approach.

i know nothing about quail, and while we are just talking about it at the moment, there is the option of making it a reality if we wish.

anybody do quail? any advice, insight, or opinions?

thanks!

-Erik
catch it. kill it. cook it. eat it.
Forget the bear spray, use wasp killer. Concentrated delivery stream, 10X the product, and only $3.00 on sale.

I smoke two fish in the morning, I smoke two fish at night, I smoke two fish in de afternoon makes me feel alright

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: quail?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 01:53:49 PM »
We don't keep quail but there's a kid behind us who does. He's got ~15 of them. Gets a dozen eggs a day and sells them at a couple stores in town and at the farmers market. We've gotten eggs from him a bunch and they're great. Ive been to his house and seen his setup. Really it's a cage about 12' long. That's it. He built it himself with it designed for egg production. The floor is sloped and they roll down to the front of it. He goes out every morning and grabs them in about 30 seconds. The front of the cage has an opening a little taller than the egg is with a rolled up lip to catch the eggs as they roll down. It's really a clever setup. The quail don't have any access to grass etc. They just stay in the cage all the time. He also has homing pidgeons which are pretty neat too.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline NW-GSP

• Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 03:44:23 PM »
What kind of quail are they?

Offline Bigshooter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 03:52:41 PM »
We don't keep quail but there's a kid behind us who does. He's got ~15 of them. Gets a dozen eggs a day and sells them at a couple stores in town and at the farmers market. We've gotten eggs from him a bunch and they're great. Ive been to his house and seen his setup. Really it's a cage about 12' long. That's it. He built it himself with it designed for egg production. The floor is sloped and they roll down to the front of it. He goes out every morning and grabs them in about 30 seconds. The front of the cage has an opening a little taller than the egg is with a rolled up lip to catch the eggs as they roll down. It's really a clever setup. The quail don't have any access to grass etc. They just stay in the cage all the time. He also has homing pidgeons which are pretty neat too.

My buddy just got into quail and he built the same kind of cage. 
Welcome to liberal America, where the truth is condemned and facts are ignored so as not to "offend" anyone

"Borders, language, culture."

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 04:29:07 PM »

Coturnix quail.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline NW-GSP

• Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 05:04:19 PM »

Coturnix quail.

Will they lay on their own eggs or do they have to be incubated.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2016, 10:25:36 PM »
You mean fertile eggs? I don't know. These are all infertile. Just for eating.

Offline Birdguy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 08:02:11 PM »
Sounds like coturnix quail will suit your needs very well, they are great layers and females will lay an egg almost every day that there is 10-12 hours of light (I used to keep them outside the back door and the motion light would give them enough light to lay year round). You can keep them in almost any cage set up, from an old rabbit style cage to an old aquarium (knew one guy who kept them in cardboard boxes and just through out the box when it was dirty) the roll out pens work great unless the crows can get to them as they will eat them all. Coturnix hatch  in 17 days and are laying eggs in 6 weeks. They are so cheap give them a shot and see what you think, you will not be out much. PM me if you have any questions I have raised them on and off for 15 years or so.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 08:05:57 AM »
I know some one who raises Bob White quail.The are bigger that cortnix prolific breeders and bigger than cortnix. I think they sound cool and if i had a little more room id raise some. IF you do it right yoou can kind of free range them. You can put in a recall door. You let loose a few at a time and att he end of the day they whistle the recall for the covey to join back up. Bobwhites are not native to the area so they are legal to raise with no real permits. https://quailforever.org/ some good reading.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2016, 08:36:12 AM »
I know some one who raises Bob White quail.The are bigger that cortnix prolific breeders and bigger than cortnix. I think they sound cool and if i had a little more room id raise some. IF you do it right yoou can kind of free range them. You can put in a recall door. You let loose a few at a time and att he end of the day they whistle the recall for the covey to join back up. Bobwhites are not native to the area so they are legal to raise with no real permits. https://quailforever.org/ some good reading.

I think part of the appeal to the coturnix quail is the size of them, the small area needed to keep them and the speed in which they reach maturity to lay eggs.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2016, 09:57:46 AM »
Some rice and veggies a bobwhite or2 is a meal. If you were just after eggs maybe cortnix are the way to go dunno.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline huntingfool7

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: huntingfool7
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2016, 05:28:38 PM »

I think part of the appeal to the coturnix quail is the size of them, the small area needed to keep them and the speed in which they reach maturity to lay eggs.

I'd met a russian that had coturnix in his garage.  Cages were about 18''x18'', maybe a little bigger,  that held four females and a male.  Had the cages stacked 8 high, three wide.  He was hatching them out in an incubator fifty at a time.  A lot of birds in very little space.

Offline Birdguy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2016, 08:54:51 PM »

Not calling anyone out here but I believe a call to the state upland game manager would prove the statement above about "bobwhites being not native to the area being legal to raise without a real permit" to be false. It has been a few years since I have talked to the manager, and a few years since I was licensed but a quick read of the upland regs suggests they are still considered a game bird and thus would require a permit as they did when I was raising them. Page 3 states you are required to have a small game license to hunt them, page 14 and 15 give you seasons for bobs in both eastern and western Washington and page 40 clearly gives a picture of bobwhite quail as well.

The argument of "native" does not apply much to our game birds in WA. Ringnecks, chukar, huns, bobwhites and some might argue that valley quail and not native to where they are found today yet all were considered game birds and a permit/license was required all the years I raised them. Again, maybe to rules have changed but I really doubt it. Perhaps someone who has a current license or vested interest in the rules today will chime in. Maybe I will make a call during the week sometime and double check.

I just want the best information put out to our community here on Hunt-wa.

Offline huntingfool7

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: huntingfool7
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2016, 09:01:00 PM »

Not calling anyone out here but I believe a call to the state upland game manager would prove the statement above about "bobwhites being not native to the area being legal to raise without a real permit" to be false. It has been a few years since I have talked to the manager, and a few years since I was licensed but a quick read of the upland regs suggests they are still considered a game bird and thus would require a permit as they did when I was raising them. Page 3 states you are required to have a small game license to hunt them, page 14 and 15 give you seasons for bobs in both eastern and western Washington and page 40 clearly gives a picture of bobwhite quail as well.

The argument of "native" does not apply much to our game birds in WA. Ringnecks, chukar, huns, bobwhites and some might argue that valley quail and not native to where they are found today yet all were considered game birds and a permit/license was required all the years I raised them. Again, maybe to rules have changed but I really doubt it. Perhaps someone who has a current license or vested interest in the rules today will chime in. Maybe I will make a call during the week sometime and double check.

I just want the best information put out to our community here on Hunt-wa.
Think that would apply to Tennessee Reds? 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]