collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hunter facing charges after death of beloved elk named Bullwinkle  (Read 531543 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: Hunter facing charges after death of beloved elk named Bullwinkle
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2016, 03:15:31 PM »
Will Zuckerberg be sued also?
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline rosscrazyelk

• BMM
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2016, 03:15:52 PM »
The only argument  i would have in response to the guy who says he knows permission from the warden..
If it was legal to shoot why haul it and gut it in another unit?
If its brown knock it down

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2016, 03:18:45 PM »
Curious to know if all the people posting on Facebook regarding this case will be sued too?
How about the Yakima Herald? Or the people on 24hourcampfire?

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2016, 03:19:29 PM »
The only argument  i would have in response to the guy who says he knows permission from the warden..
If it was legal to shoot why haul it and gut it in another unit?

Some farmers don't want a gut pile in there field, I've done the exact same a couple times

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2016, 03:34:57 PM »
Anyone can sue anyone else, at any time, for any reason,  or for no reason. Whether or not it is successful is another issue, but at a minimum the party being sued will likely have some financial consequences. To an extent our legal system is a matter of "how much justice can you afford? " If someone with deep pockets wants to make someone else miserable, it's quite doable.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2016, 02:52:20 PM »
Anyone can sue anyone else, at any time, for any reason,  or for no reason. Whether or not it is successful is another issue, but at a minimum the party being sued will likely have some financial consequences. To an extent our legal system is a matter of "how much justice can you afford? " If someone with deep pockets wants to make someone else miserable, it's quite doable.

Which is why the indivual pursuing the suit should have to front the estimated costs and have the balance paid in full before leaving the courthouse if they lose, or sit in jail until it's paid.

My guess is that would reduce the backlog of cases and make people think twice before pursuing some of these BS suits. :twocents:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: LMAC, NRA
« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2016, 03:30:45 PM »
Well actually, I have to say, I was glad that someone posted a link to the Yakima Herald article. I may not have seen it otherwise. I probably would have posted it myself if I had come across it first. This is also being discussed on Facebook and I'm sure there are comments being posted in the Yakima Herald as well.

thanks for the link to the article. I find it interesting how this one animal and hunter has created such a stir... from a different perspective, this person has probably put into WA state conservation (financially) MORE than this entire site full of hunters combine since just 2007. I don't know him, his ethics, or how rich he is either.. This animal was a conservation tool, used to draw money from us all for a chance of a lifetime, one ticket ever year for me too! Ethics and location maybe not so much. In the end, the money this one hunter has given has most likely made a direct impact in WA and now, the state will waste most of it (i bet) toward litigation and investigation fees. Why not just fix the book to allow this to occur, after all, these raffles and auction tags are just designed to make conservation dollars as I am led to understand in all the writings right? One draw, one animal, one hunter? Is it really that bad that this old rich dude paid to play or are we just jealous and casting stones?
Again, just considering the gain from all the moneys invested, not the ethical hunting of one man position. I find it more appalling when a person of this financial affluence takes the route of posting up a 100K piece of property his millionaire buddies to hunt and not giving back, don't you?
USN retired
1981-2011

Offline idahohuntr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2016, 03:34:03 PM »
I'm very curious what the defendant is claiming the false statements were...he has been criminally charged in the matter.
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2016, 03:35:33 PM »
Well actually, I have to say, I was glad that someone posted a link to the Yakima Herald article. I may not have seen it otherwise. I probably would have posted it myself if I had come across it first. This is also being discussed on Facebook and I'm sure there are comments being posted in the Yakima Herald as well.

thanks for the link to the article. I find it interesting how this one animal and hunter has created such a stir... from a different perspective, this person has probably put into WA state conservation (financially) MORE than this entire site full of hunters combine since just 2007. I don't know him, his ethics, or how rich he is either.. This animal was a conservation tool, used to draw money from us all for a chance of a lifetime, one ticket ever year for me too! Ethics and location maybe not so much. In the end, the money this one hunter has given has most likely made a direct impact in WA and now, the state will waste most of it (i bet) toward litigation and investigation fees. Why not just fix the book to allow this to occur, after all, these raffles and auction tags are just designed to make conservation dollars as I am led to understand in all the writings right? One draw, one animal, one hunter? Is it really that bad that this old rich dude paid to play or are we just jealous and casting stones?
Again, just considering the gain from all the moneys invested, not the ethical hunting of one man position. I find it more appalling when a person of this financial affluence takes the route of posting up a 100K piece of property his millionaire buddies to hunt and not giving back, don't you?
The use of money to justify illegal and unethical behavior will always occur, but that doesn't make it right.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2016, 08:47:58 PM »
 NOCK's  Top Ten List

1. kiticaashunter, Welcome to the site. Maybe think about going to the "new member" thread and tell us about yourself. Personally, I take more stock in what people I know tell me, more than from a stranger.  :twocents:

2. This is definitely not the 1st one of these type of permits(auction/raffle) that the defendant has had in his WA hunting career. The fact that he had to CALL ANYONE, including WDFW, to ask if he could shoot this bull is just silly. Come on, there can only be one reason the call was made, he knew it was not legal (easily understood in the regs) Why else would you call???  If he got a thumbs up to shoot, he had a scapegoat.

3. This is a prime example of why PUBLIC game animals should not be sold to the wealthy. I don't care how much money he has given the state, the animals are public property and should not be sold to the highest bidder.

4. Hunting to me is the act of going out into the forest, woods, wildland, sage, even an alfalfa field, and using my wits and skill to get within lethal range of a truly wild animal (not a semi tame one) , and then killing it to feed my family. The antlers are just a side bonus. What was done in this case was NOT HUNTING, more like shooting.

5. A lot of talk about how much $$ this individual has put into conservation in WA ST. If one TRULY cares about the well being of the critters, and that same person is very well off, why not just donate to the cause and not expect a permit in return? 

6. Absolutely do not understand how a person could be proud of acquiring a "trophy" in this manner.

7. kiticaashunter, Curious as to who the second phone call was to.  :dunno:

8. No, I am not jealous,  :rolleyes:, If I had that kinda money, I could find much more satisfying ways to hunt, ( like trying to kill a big game animal in all 50 states in 1 years time)

9. This is better than a soap opera.  :P

10. Thank You JDHasty, keep standing up for what you believe in.  :tup:
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2016, 08:57:39 PM »
 :yeah:

Which is why the indivual pursuing the suit should have to front the estimated costs and have the balance paid in full before leaving the courthouse if they lose, or sit in jail until it's paid.

My guess is that would reduce the backlog of cases and make people think twice before pursuing some of these BS suits. :twocents:

This is a whole other topic... but very true.

Offline JJB11B

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2016, 09:04:23 PM »
Interesting side note here....

"Bullwinkle often fed at the home of Mark and Frances Chmelewski, the couple who gave him that name.

“He would come into our yard and eat apples off our tree, and we’d sit and watch, just meters from him,” Mark Chmelewski said.

“Every year we’d say a little prayer that Bullwinkle would survive the hunting season because he was just such a beautiful, majestic animal.”"

and then after google

http://www.dailyrecordnews.com/news/frances-chmelewski-is-new-kittitas-county-superior-court-judge/article_61b61d0a-162c-11e1-8f9d-001cc4c03286.html

Karma??
oh snap!
"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever."
Shane Falco

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2016, 09:07:02 PM »
Wonder if the judge is a hunter ?
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #74 on: May 17, 2016, 09:33:57 PM »
Interesting side note here....

"Bullwinkle often fed at the home of Mark and Frances Chmelewski, the couple who gave him that name.

“He would come into our yard and eat apples off our tree, and we’d sit and watch, just meters from him,” Mark Chmelewski said.

“Every year we’d say a little prayer that Bullwinkle would survive the hunting season because he was just such a beautiful, majestic animal.”"

and then after google

http://www.dailyrecordnews.com/news/frances-chmelewski-is-new-kittitas-county-superior-court-judge/article_61b61d0a-162c-11e1-8f9d-001cc4c03286.html

Karma??
oh snap!
Wonder if that actually helps him?  Can't the defense petition to bring in an unrelated judge from another county if there is some kind of conflict?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]