collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hunter facing charges after death of beloved elk named Bullwinkle  (Read 531652 times)

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
Re: Hunter facing charges after death of beloved elk named Bullwinkle
« Reply #375 on: May 25, 2016, 05:48:48 PM »
Wait........     was this bull shot with a full choke???
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #376 on: May 25, 2016, 06:11:01 PM »
The main issue isn't how this bull elk was "domesticated" but that the elk tag the hunter used was not valid in the unit.

It's the same as if a guy with an eastern tag killed a bull in western Washington. It's illegal. Period. It's not that complicated.

There is no difference between him killing a Roosevelt on the coast with that tag and killing a bull in GMU 334.  The tag was no more valid for the latter than it was for the former.  If this defense is allowed to stand it throws the door wide open in the future. 

In order to get to a conclusion that everything was on the up and up, assumptions have to be accepted that demand a series of logical leaps and coincidences to all come together.  While that would not make it impossible it certainly complicates accepting that version of events.

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #377 on: May 25, 2016, 07:05:58 PM »
There is a big difference, it's actually happened here on the west side.  Errors were made, no charges were filed, but then again there wasn't the court of Huntwa to publicly crucify someone and assure their guilt.  I wonder if the charges get dropped off there won't be a civil suit filed against the wdfw and the individuals who granted permission.  I would think some of things posted on this forum would cause parties to settle and not want to go to trial.

Offline cbond3318

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #378 on: May 25, 2016, 07:28:30 PM »
I don't suppose routine calls to WDFW are recorded for training purposes ?
Just tend your own and live.

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #379 on: May 25, 2016, 09:16:52 PM »
I don't suppose routine calls to WDFW are recorded for training purposes ?

And without a recording it's he said she said. If Tod Reichert is going to rely on his "we got permission over the phone" defense, the burden of proof is on him.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline 257 Wby Mag

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #380 on: May 25, 2016, 09:37:32 PM »
There is a big difference, it's actually happened here on the west side.  Errors were made, no charges were filed, but then again there wasn't the court of Huntwa to publicly crucify someone and assure their guilt.  I wonder if the charges get dropped off there won't be a civil suit filed against the wdfw and the individuals who granted permission.  I would think some of things posted on this forum would cause parties to settle and not want to go to trial.

Ahhhh th he good old hunt wa court. Remember the big bull that got poached in the green river watershed? Or was it the cedar river watershed? Or was it washougal? This place is and people are funny for sure....

Oops, remember when Agnew killed the non typical record, flew in and out killed the same day flying??? Blah blah blah..... the list goes on and on...
Tod Riechert fan club.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #381 on: May 25, 2016, 09:56:22 PM »

Ahhhh th he good old hunt wa court. Remember the big bull that got poached in the green river watershed? Or was it the cedar river watershed? Or was it washougal? This place is and people are funny for sure....

Oops, remember when Agnew killed the non typical record, flew in and out killed the same day flying??? Blah blah blah..... the list goes on and on...

It wasn't in the 'Shoug!!
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline 257 Wby Mag

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #382 on: May 25, 2016, 10:14:00 PM »
I woulda much rather seen "Bullwinkle" ironed out on I-90 by a semi!!
Tod Riechert fan club.

Offline DaveMonti

• Sourdough
« Reply #383 on: May 25, 2016, 10:35:03 PM »
Wait........     was this bull shot with a full choke???

Let me clarify.  The bull died by choking on alfalfa. 

Offline Landowner

• Scout
« Reply #384 on: May 25, 2016, 11:33:22 PM »
Under the subject of pot stirring, I haven't seen any criticism of the landowner who helped sentence a near tame elk to death.

Carry on.

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #385 on: May 26, 2016, 12:10:26 AM »

remember when Agnew killed the non typical record, flew in and out killed the same day flying??? Blah blah blah..... the list goes on and on...

A non issue and completely irrelevant to this case, let's not get it twisted and stick to the facts.

The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #386 on: May 26, 2016, 05:59:38 AM »
Charges filed/charges not filed, Guilty plea or verdict/acquittal, can someone, anyone, please lay out a scenario in which this ever would have ended well? 

I simply cannot get my mind around what could have given anyone the notion that this was going to end well. 

Does that imply that there isn't anyone who thought this through to what the logical conclusion was? 

I keep asking and all I have seen so far can easily be recognized as  fallacious arguments consisting exclusively of reductio ad absurdum or offers to burn down yet another straw man.

Let's hear it:  Walk me through a scenario in which this was going to end well.   

Irrespective of the legal issue that were the focus of the discussion here, local people were already talking to reporters re: the undisputed fact that this bull elk was as tame as a petting zoo mascot. 

And as for damage done to the image of hunters in general, or even "trophy hunters in general, the fact that this act does not and never has had broad based acceptance as acceptable w/in the hunting community who have commented on it will do as much as can be done to put distance between hunters or trophy hunters and the irresponsible act of a few individuals  as ever could be once this became known to the general public.   
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 06:07:54 AM by JDHasty »

Offline 257 Wby Mag

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #387 on: May 26, 2016, 06:08:11 AM »

remember when Agnew killed the non typical record, flew in and out killed the same day flying??? Blah blah blah..... the list goes on and on...

A non issue and completely irrelevant to this case, let's not get it twisted and stick to the facts.

Oh....... Ok
Tod Riechert fan club.

Offline 257 Wby Mag

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #388 on: May 26, 2016, 06:10:07 AM »

Funny how it's the same folks making comments  on aforementioned threads....
Tod Riechert fan club.

Offline Miles

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #389 on: May 26, 2016, 06:26:48 AM »
Everyone is all worked up over this pet elk that an old man shot.   Old Tod doesn't have too many more hunting seasons left in him and that's just a fact of life.  Let him have his day in court.  The self induced added stress probably isn't doing his body any favors.   

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal