collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Weyerhaeuser Permits?  (Read 23270 times)

Offline Sportsman

• Jeepguy
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Weyerhaeuser Permits?
« on: May 16, 2016, 09:42:50 PM »
Sorry if this has been asked before.  I sort of lost my old hunting area, this year I am starting to think about getting one of those Weyerhaeuser Permits?  Does anyone have any experience with trying that and how did it work out for you? 

Offline Encore 280

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Encore 280
Re: Weyerhaeuser Permits?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 10:07:00 PM »
No problem getting one if you want to pay the $250 + to get into an area. :bash:

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 10:08:26 PM »
Are you wanting to hunt deer, or elk? Or both? I think it's a fair deal if you are planning to hunt both deer and elk, and especially if you have kids under the age of 18 who will be hunting as well. I think all areas are allowing camping this year too, so that's a nice bonus. Maybe not Aberdeen though, not sure on that one.

A couple things I really dislike-

1) The timing of their permit sales. They go on sale, and sell out, just after the WDFW special permit application deadline, but before the results of the draw are available. It makes it really hard for people to plan, and to know if they actually want to buy a Weyerhaeuser permit or not.
2) Another problem is most areas sell out in just minutes, and that means there is a very good possibility of one person successfully purchasing a permit, and your hunting partner not getting one. And the fact that they don't allow a person with a permit to bring along a guest, means a lot of people may end up with permits and will have to hunt alone.

Offline Sportsman

• Jeepguy
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 08:04:02 PM »
I was completely unaware that they sold permits (must have been living in a cave) until just a few days ago.  Heard about the permits from a friend of a friend. 

I was looking at the North Cascades / Chelan permit.  Does anyone know anything about it?    $200, it is for almost a full year of access, so that seems good, you can hunt, fish or camp.  What I don't understand is the area I was looking at has multiple sites in a couple of counties.  Does that mean I would have access to all of those sites?  That might be pretty good.  Mulies up by Lake Whenatchie and Black Tail over here close to home.  I don't get a chance to do much elk hunting. But bear, deer, grouse  all sound good to me.  I don't really like paying for access, but I am real tired of DNR property and the way it is managed.

Offline teegansdad

• Huntaholic
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
    • Facebook/outdoorsforourheroes
    • Outdoors for our heroes
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 07:01:16 PM »
Just a thought, last year I was hunting in a permit area alone as the permit states. Well it was early archery and I fell 15 feet to the creek bottom and broke my now string. I sat there for minutes assessing my body to make sure I was not broken. I managed to make it out the four miles back to my rig. This t
Got me to thinking. There (Weyerhaeuser) unwillingness to allow one partner other than your spouse or child really seems to put us at risk if and when someone becomes injured.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 08:30:52 PM »
Year-round camping and hunting when allowed on 381,000 acres of private timberland for $300 per family.   Not too shabby.

Offline Eli346

• Eli
  • Past Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 08:34:21 AM »
You will have access to all those units. Vail and PeEll have sold out already.

Offline headshot5

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 08:38:26 AM »
Just a thought, last year I was hunting in a permit area alone as the permit states. Well it was early archery and I fell 15 feet to the creek bottom and broke my now string. I sat there for minutes assessing my body to make sure I was not broken. I managed to make it out the four miles back to my rig. This t
Got me to thinking. There (Weyerhaeuser) unwillingness to allow one partner other than your spouse or child really seems to put us at risk if and when someone becomes injured.

It's not really their job to babysit you.   Get a Spot or something similar, or find a hunting partner who also has a permit.  Definitely not trying to be a jerk.  At some point when you are out in the woods, you have responsibility for your health, so have a plan ahead of time.   :tup:

Offline Smokeploe

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Hunter
  • Groups: FTE, shooterforum
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2016, 01:52:05 PM »
What is the difference between WILDWATER PARK and Weyerhaeuser the both sell tickets into their properties? If you slip and fall on a patch of slick concrete you sue the s**t out is WILDWATER park, why not Weyerhaeuser?  They stated in an article, which I could not find, that they are making more money selling permits than lumber.
Why are they still getting tax breaks for "keep their land open to the public". Shouldn't they tax as a resort or a for profit park?
Smokeploe

When guns are outlawed then only outlaws will have guns!
The same with ammo!
The same with personal liberties

Offline teegansdad

• Huntaholic
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
    • Facebook/outdoorsforourheroes
    • Outdoors for our heroes
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 11:40:16 AM »
You guys are all missing my point. I'm not sue happy. I'm not above being responsible for my actions or poorly planned excursion. I am merely suggesting it would be nice if we could name one hunting partner other than a wife or child to take in. Finding a permit holder or getting a hunting partner to buy is not always practical. I pay to play because its a good deal all that wood and property access for one year. I'm good with it. Just wish the stated above was an option. Ya dig!!!!

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2016, 11:51:36 AM »
Don't be mislead with your "all that wood' comment as it is very limited areas and well picked over.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline seth30

• Old Salt
  • It's time to HUNT!
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2016, 11:51:52 AM »
I miss the old timber companies that let you enter at your own risk and didn't charge you a dime :'(
Rather be dead than cool.
Kurt Cobain

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2016, 12:06:14 PM »
You guys are all missing my point. I'm not sue happy. I'm not above being responsible for my actions or poorly planned excursion. I am merely suggesting it would be nice if we could name one hunting partner other than a wife or child to take in. Finding a permit holder or getting a hunting partner to buy is not always practical. I pay to play because its a good deal all that wood and property access for one year. I'm good with it. Just wish the stated above was an option. Ya dig!!!!

I agree.

Offline Firefightermmm

• Pilgrim
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2016, 12:10:58 PM »
Ive hunted Weyerhauser land for the last four years and have finally said no thanks to the permit fees this year.  Once they opened up the roads every single road hunter and there brother are in areas my buddy and I use to Hike into.   You also aren't allowed to camp on Weyerhauser land, unless it changed this year.  Good luck with a new area but I found that the Weyerhauser permits weren't worth it, Just my opinion.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2016, 12:15:41 PM »
Camping is now allowed on most, if not all, of the Weyerhaeuser permit areas.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal